ROFR Thread April to June 2024 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Yeah, I'm grateful I listened to you guys. Last year, I had been waiting to see if we were going to get a tax refund or owe a bunch before making such a large purchase (plus we were getting ready to do some things on our house.) I'm glad I didn't wait because we would have had to pay a LOT more.

Of course...now I'm waiting for a small contract that I know I'll end up having to pay a lot for...if one ever shows up.
There is still the chance you could use some of those BRV points on a VGC 1Bd… you never know!

I was wondering how some people were snagging amazing deals that I didn’t see…but honestly the last thing I need is more temptation to add more points.
In spite of all the crowing about “amazing deals” that does pop up from time to time, I’m not convinced that any DVC purchases are actually “amazing,” in spite of a lower per point cost. These contracts still cost thousands and thousands of dollars, and a lower per point cost on resale, even those that appear substantial, is dwarfed over the long term by annual dues.
I love my DVC points, but when someone implies something to the effect of a low priced contract being just “too good to pass up,” I do wonder if the buyer was fully aware of the financial consequences extra points mean down the line, year after year. Just a thought. We’re all DVC fans anyway!

In spite of all the crowing about “amazing deals” that does pop up from time to time, I’m not convinced that any DVC purchases are actually “amazing,” in spite of a lower per point cost. These contracts still cost thousands and thousands of dollars, and a lower per point cost on resale, even those that appear substantial, is dwarfed over the long term by annual dues.
I love my DVC points, but when someone implies something to the effect of a low priced contract being just “too good to pass up,” I do wonder if the buyer was fully aware of the financial consequences extra points mean down the line, year after year. Just a thought. We’re all DVC fans anyway!
I do think about that often, but the big question i ask myself is if it is worth it, not how much of a better deal it is or if I can do better.
Dues are my biggest fear down the road.. If dues get out of control or just out of my range Ill just have to sell and move on.

I hope that most buyers are thinking about long term dues obligations (but I’m sure at least some are not) but I agree it’s important to think about and why I haven’t been trying to fish for great deals (even though I would like more AUL points and resale prices look good). I have a projected annual vacation budget for the next decade, and DVC dues falls within it and my husband doesn’t want to spend much more than 6k of it on DVC dues, so unless Disney develops a ski resort or major city location, lol… I’ve got about 100-150 points left before I’m right at the limit (or need to sell my least favorite existing contracts).

Anyway, I think there are legitimately amazing deals but only if you know you would have spent a week or two at Disney each year no matter what. For example, we used to spend as much as $2k/night for BCV 2Bed villas (paying cash to Disney), and now for that much in dues we can stay for 3-5 nights. If you can get 2023+2024 points at the WDW properties for less than $90 per point, and you know you’ll travel to Disney either way for a decade, it’s a pretty amazing deal—even if DVC resale values continue to decline.

These contracts still cost thousands and thousands of dollars, and a lower per point cost on resale, even those that appear substantial, is dwarfed over the long term by annual dues
The Net Present Value of the dues is roughly equal to the initial outlay for most resorts. Even when that’s not true and the dues are higher, like SSR or OKWe, why wouldn’t you want to save thousands of dollars on the up front cost? Especially if you can later dispose of it for more than the screaming price you paid for it.

I get that “too good to pass up” is a bad idea if DVC is a marginal purchase for you to start with, but if the money isn’t an issue, I totally get it.

The Net Present Value of the dues is roughly equal to the initial outlay for most resorts. Even when that’s not true and the dues are higher, like SSR or OKWe, why wouldn’t you want to save thousands of dollars on the up front cost? Especially if you can later dispose of it for more than the screaming price you paid for it.

I get that “too good to pass up” is a bad idea if DVC is a marginal purchase for you to start with, but if the money isn’t an issue, I totally get it.
Of course there’s nothing wrong with saving thousands of dollars in up front costs, but there are plenty of reasons to be prudent when it comes to shelling out five figures for a luxury purchase just because the buy in price is below average. I’m just wary of justifications starting with “too good to pass up,” or “it just dropped in my lap.”

I hope that most buyers are thinking about long term dues obligations (but I’m sure at least some are not) but I agree it’s important to think about and why I haven’t been trying to fish for great deals (even though I would like more AUL points and resale prices look good). I have a projected annual vacation budget for the next decade, and DVC dues falls within it and my husband doesn’t want to spend much more than 6k of it on DVC dues, so unless Disney develops a ski resort or major city location, lol… I’ve got about 100-150 points left before I’m right at the limit (or need to sell my least favorite existing contracts).

Anyway, I think there are legitimately amazing deals but only if you know you would have spent a week or two at Disney each year no matter what. For example, we used to spend as much as $2k/night for BCV 2Bed villas (paying cash to Disney), and now for that much in dues we can stay for 3-5 nights. If you can get 2023+2024 points at the WDW properties for less than $90 per point, and you know you’ll travel to Disney either way for a decade, it’s a pretty amazing deal—even if DVC resale values continue to decline.
DVC Toolkit has been helpful to see what my dues would add up to with different contract sizes. I’m trying to get about 225 (75 being VGC) and keeping the dues under $2k, but how does that look in 5-10 years I have no idea, it may go over $2k next year for all I know right now. lol

DVC Toolkit has been helpful to see what my dues would add up to with different contract sizes. I’m trying to get about 225 (75 being VGC) and keeping the dues under $2k, but how does that look in 5-10 years I have no idea, it may go over $2k next year for all I know right now. lol
I tend to assume that our budgets are real dollars and not nominal dollars, so I’m not too worried about dues creeping up as long as it’s not dramatically faster than inflation. If they are rising much faster than inflation, I suppose we could rent a small fraction of our points to stay in our targeted amount… or we’d just cut back on one of our non-DVC trips. One of the reasons we own at AUL and 2 WDW resorts is that dues have risen much more slowly than hotel rates, so we think it will help hedge against future increases in travel costs on Hawaii/WDW trips… I wouldn’t bet my life on it, but I am fairly confident that if dues are spiking, cash vacations to comparable properties are going to be rising even more aggressively.

@Paul Stupin you words of wisdom are always appreciated

It is one reason I keep thinking maybe a commitment until 2042 makes sense.

We have a 2042 resort, mainly because we love it. But I do wonder what we'll do in 2042 if we still want to go to WDW. I don't even want to think about what DVC is going to cost at that time.
We have 180 points at SSR. We need a second contract to get between 340-380 points.

By 2042 my wife and I will be 84/85 and it may make sense that my daughter only has one contract to deal with until 2054. By 2042 she will have had 20 years of trips so going every other year or studios once a year without locking into double the dues might make sense.

There is a PVB contract that just went up for sale.
100 pts Sep UY. 7/2023, 100/2024, 100/2025… for $138. Is me of for sure Disney will ROFR that one???

We have 180 points at SSR. We need a second contract to get between 340-380 points.

By 2042 my wife and I will be 84/85 and it may make sense that my daughter only has one contract to deal with until 2054. By 2042 she will have had 20 years of trips so going every other year or studios once a year without locking into double the dues might make sense.
I definitely think this is a good idea. We started with SSR as well, but are considering a BWV/BCV purchase for our summer trips, knowing it will be nice to have those dues disappear in 18 years. We have 3 kids, so we’re also considering 3 smaller CCV contracts to get us into the 2 bedrooms for early December and then also have one to leave each kid. Our 150 SSR pts will just be SAP for us, something we can get hopefully get more mileage out of when it’s just the 2 of us at home, so basically the last 15 years of that contract.

There is a PVB contract that just went up for sale.
.... Is me of for sure Disney will ROFR that one???
First, there is no way to ever tell what Disney will ROFR - we have all tried lol. But offering super low (or a low price) has advantages if you get it, but you can be sitting for up to 30 days waiting to see what Disney does. Pretty stressful for most of us. They "seem" to like loaded contracts but even that is not a given.

Second, pretty good chance your post will get deleted since one of the few rules here (I've been told at least) is no posting of specific Active sales ... otherwise people are promoting their own, or error deals, or confusing people who read a thread weeks later :)

We have 160 pts at BRV and apart from loving the resort, the 2042 expiration was appealing to us. I’m now buying SSR with a longer expiration date but I do like that at least some part of it will be gone in 18 years. If the time approaches and I want more, I’ll buy it then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter