• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ROFR Thread April to June 2024 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

I think it's funny if people choose to lie to make it sound like they got a better deal than they actually did. What a strange choice.
I don't know. If you look at the totality of this board, from 10,000', you can see there is a fair amount of "competition" and crowing about who got what at what amazing price, and who really took their seller to the woodshed and basically got their contract for free. There's also a good amount of "I think you should have offered less because I saw a contract for $XXX less per point that cleared FOFR just last week" or similar critiques.

People on here often gloat about how savvy, as a group, DISBoard buyers are, and how many wide eyed does are just taken to the cleaners on other boards, Facebook groups, etc. Plus, there is always some amount of looking down the nose at anyone (both here and elsewhere) who isn't as "wise" or as shrewd a negotiator as the DISBoard Illuminati.

So I could easily see someone who felt pretty darned good about their new contract offer, logging on and seeing how someone else got a similar contract for a few dollars less per point, and feeling either embarrassed or unwilling to listen to any Monday morning quarterbacking regardless of how good they felt about their deal or that it was a perfect fit for them regardless of price.

I don't know. If you look at the totality of this board, from 10,000', you can see there is a fair amount of "competition" and crowing about who got what at what amazing price, and who really took their seller to the woodshed and basically got their contract for free. There's also a good amount of "I think you should have offered less because I saw a contract for $XXX less per point that cleared FOFR just last week" or similar critiques.

People on here often gloat about how savvy, as a group, DISBoard buyers are, and how many wide eyed does are just taken to the cleaners on other boards, Facebook groups, etc. Plus, there is always some amount of looking down the nose at anyone (both here and elsewhere) who isn't as "wise" or as shrewd a negotiator as the DISBoard Illuminati.

So I could easily see someone who felt pretty darned good about their new contract offer, logging on and seeing how someone else got a similar contract for a few dollars less per point, and feeling either embarrassed or unwilling to listen to any Monday morning quarterbacking regardless of how good they felt about their deal or that it was a perfect fit for them regardless of price.

Yeah...that's just so funny to me. I know I haven't got the "best" prices but I don't really care. I'm happy with what I got. And I'm happy for those who have gotten theirs for less. I guess I'm not the competitive type so it's just amusing.

People definitely lie or fib about stuff all the time. Heck I have close friends that I know that feed me stories, much less strangers on an internet message board with a proclivity towards competition. That being said there's the other extreme as well, people who get great deals and don't post for any number of reasons...privacy being one of them. I know of at least one for sure...:ssst:

I would bet there’s a lot more brokers lying about what price they are selling other contracts for than there are DISboarders lying about what they paid. I’d believe people forgot to include dues or closing costs… but I think that’s rarely going to move the needle much.

Trying to trick people into bidding higher prices on broker-owned underwater contracts is a lot more of a motivator than getting a few likes on a random social media post.

I posted two deals last year that got a lot of likes, but I also bought DVC direct at Aulani, so I’m not judging people who pay $10-25/pt higher than I would for resale. I’ve never directed anybody to cancel their resale contracts, but I assume that the people doing it are doing it out of kindness trying to save people a few thousand or at least get them an extra year or two of points at the same price.

I’m can’t speak to the degenerates on FaceBook (I kid…. I kid…) but I think that the vast majority of DisBoarders are honest and this is a hive of price seeking & data sharing.

Occasionally I’m sure that someone wants some clout because they need some positive stimulus they aren’t getting in another area of their life…. but I would guess that there are enough people who look at the aggregators everyday and read through the comptroller sites that discrepancies would be called out…..

Last edited:

I’m can’t speak to the degenerates on FaceBook (I kid…. I kid…) but I think that the vast majority of DisBoarders are honest and this is a hive of price seeking data sharing.

Occasionally I’m sure that someone wants some clout because they need some positive stimulus they aren’t getting in another area of their life…. but I would guess that there are enough people who look at the aggregators everyday and read through the comptroller sites that discrepancies would be called out…..

I'm in a couple DVC FB groups and it's funny (and interesting) how different the vibe is over there compared to this section of the forum!

I don't know. I can't really explain it. I just feel like things here some more close-knit and "home-y." It's probably just me though.

In general, FB is kind of a trash heap though.
I feel like on here most of us know who each other are.. on the FB forums in general it's people trying to one up one another with (usually) incorrect information.

Yes, I may be naive, but I don't think most people are fudging their numbers on here. It defeats the purpose of the post, where we're trying to track what slips through ROFR and what doesn't. I do think people get the closing costs/dues reimbursement wrong sometimes, especially in their initial post, but I don't think there's anything malicious in it. While I'm always looking for the best deals, I'm happy for anyone who's buying more DVC points (or selling a contract they no longer need).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter