ROFR Thread January to March 2019 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here -- there's a good chance I would have bought direct if they had VGF points available. When I bought my resale points, DVC was only offering PVB or Aulani and neither interested me, since we knew we'd want 2BRs every now and then for family trips. I didn't even know resale existed until I went google searching for information on DVC and stumbled upon a few forums. One week later, I had an offer accepted for VGF at $50 per point cheaper than direct.
Wish I bought years ago when resale had same perks as direct :(

You might be surprised. Before the gap opened up hugely, I actually asked, while on a tour for CCV, if they had VGF direct available, as that's where we were interested in staying, and had they had the points, we would've bought there. We had stayed at GF, never stayed at CCV.

Fortunately, our sleazy guide "made a call." Sure enough, there was nothing for VGF and we couldn't waitlist. It was CCV or bust, and she drove us right into the arms or resale.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think this just further reinforces what I was saying. If they try to discourage waitlisting to get people to buy the new unsold product direct, how many people could possibly be sitting on waitlists right now? I'd have to think it's mostly people who want to add on to their existing contracts. I'm sure most would-be new buyers don't even know the waitlists exist.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think this just further reinforces what I was saying. If they try to discourage waitlisting to get people to buy the new unsold product direct, how many people could possibly be sitting on waitlists right now? I'd have to think it's mostly people who want to add on to their existing contracts. I'm sure most would-be new buyers don't even know the waitlists exist.

Supposedly, the wait lists at BLT, VGF, BCV, and VGC are incredibly long. In a moment of weakness, I called to see about direct BWV points last week. I was told a lot had come in, and I would probably clear it on Monday. I never heard anything on Monday. My DH and I discussed it, and he said if we are buying direct, we are buying a new resort, not an old one. I asked my guide to take me off the BWV wait list. I don't think BWV and BCV are a terrible buy even today if you plan on using them. However, we are in our 30s, so they would expire just a few years after the kids are leaving for college. That's why I limited how many BWV points I would buy. If I was 20 or 30 years older, I don't think I would care at all about the 2042 expiration. I'd buy where I wanted to stay.

Supposedly, the wait lists at BLT, VGF, BCV, and VGC are incredibly long. In a moment of weakness, I called to see about direct BWV points last week. I was told a lot had come in, and I would probably clear it on Monday. I never heard anything on Monday. My DH and I discussed it, and he said if we are buying direct, we are buying a new resort, not an old one. I asked my guide to take me off the BWV wait list. I don't think BWV and BCV are a terrible buy even today if you plan on using them. However, we are in our 30s, so they would expire just a few years after the kids are leaving for college. That's why I limited how many BWV points I would buy. If I was 20 or 30 years older, I don't think I would care at all about the 2042 expiration. I'd buy where I wanted to stay.

The struggle is real. We own a small contract at BWV, and want another small add-on (50-75 at most). Because of how infrequently these come up and how fast they sell (and at a premium), I've considered calling my guide. She's always been very good about what she has available in the past. And we, too, are only in our mid-30s, but BWV is so great it's worth it.

But $190/pt seems absurd. Guess we should really make up our minds before it inevitably jumps over $200.

The struggle is real. We own a small contract at BWV, and want another small add-on (50-75 at most). Because of how infrequently these come up and how fast they sell (and at a premium), I've considered calling my guide. She's always been very good about what she has available in the past. And we, too, are only in our mid-30s, but BWV is so great it's worth it.

But $190/pt seems absurd. Guess we should really make up our minds before it inevitably jumps over $200.

There are a handful of BWV small contracts on the market that came on today. However, they are ~$150pp, and that is so high to me. They wouldn't be that high if people weren't paying it though. They always disappear within a day or two. You are exactly right about the $190pp if buying direct. We just decided that wasn't the right move for us for a 2042 resort, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the right move for someone else. :)

Last edited:

What's even crazier is BWV and BCV were always the same price direct until just last year. And yet, BCV at $225 and people are STILL buying. Talk about pricing out the middle class... sheesh!

Closing costs are much lower direct and they always come fully loaded...in your shoes I'd definitely be on a direct waitlist.

Closing costs are much lower direct and they always come fully loaded...in your shoes I'd definitely be on a direct waitlist.

The math isn't quite as easy -I have a Feb UY so the best I can do is 2019 and beyond points. I've already missed the window for 2018 (and as such a fully loaded contract). On two separate sites I see sales pending listings with my UY - one for 50 points/$150pp and one for 60 points/$155pp. The 50 has all 2019 and beyond points. The 60 is actually fully loaded. Those are expensive per point, but still $40/pp and $35/pp cheaper than direct. Closing costs would have to be significant - on a small contract, in my head I'm figuring there's no way it will be more than $500 difference (but maybe I'm way off on that).

I even see other 25 and 50 point contracts in different UYs that also have 2019 and beyond points (but no 2018), so it seems at least somewhat possible if not likely to eventually find a contract that isn't stripped.

Our guide even reached out to us in I think December to mention a price increase was coming in January and to let her know if we wanted more points anywhere. I'm kicking myself now, $171/pp for 50 points direct is much more reasonable even compared to current resale listings.

Last edited:
The math isn't quite as easy -I have a Feb UY so the best I can do is 2019 and beyond points. I've already missed the window for 2018 (and as such a fully loaded contract). On two separate sites I see sales pending listings with my UY - one for 50 points/$150pp and one for 60 points/$155pp. The 50 has all 2019 and beyond points. The 60 is actually fully loaded. Those are expensive per point, but still $40/pp and $35/pp cheaper than direct. Closing costs would have to be significant - on a small contract, in my head I'm figuring there's no way it will be more than $500 difference (but maybe I'm way off on that).

I even see other 25 and 50 point contracts in different UYs that also have 2019 and beyond points (but no 2018), so it seems at least somewhat possible if not likely to eventually find a contract that isn't stripped.

Our guide even reached out to us in I think December to mention a price increase was coming in January and to let her know if we wanted more points anywhere. I'm kicking myself now, $171/pp for 50 points direct is much more reasonable even compared to current resale listings.

Your math is correct.... The value is not really comparable, it's more or less the convenience. 171 definitely would have been a "less bitter pill"

HappilyEverAfter2007---$108-$14537-120-AKV-Dec-0/17, 120/18, 120/19, 120/20- sent 2/25, passed 3/6

Yay!!! So excited to be part of the DVC family. Broker indicated 2-3 weeks for title documents (Booo). We likely are going to rent out the 2018 points to cushion the cost a bit and because we have a trip planned already with free dining although at a value. We will be stopping by though during that trip for dinner at Sanaa to get a taste of the resort. Good luck to everyone else! Now my only reservation is making sure I have my trips planned 11 months in advance to get studios because that is ultimately all we need right now. Then maybe addonitis will strike!

Congratulations! AKV studios are usually much more available than at a lot of the other ones before the 7 month window as long as you aren't after the values or concierge so that's a plus for you.

There are a handful of BWV small contracts on the market that came on today. However, they are ~$150pp, and that is so high to me. They wouldn't be that high if people weren't paying it though. They always disappear within a day or two. You are exactly right about the $190pp if buying direct. We just decided that wasn't the right move for us for a 2042 resort, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the right move for someone else. :)

You 30 year olds definitely are getting the shaft on the 2042 resorts. If you were lucky enough to be as old as I am you could buy anywhere you want and be confident in the fact that you will likely be long dead by the time your contract expires! All contracts have the same expiration date for me so it's one less thing I have to consider :)

All contracts have the same expiration date for me so it's one less thing I have to consider :)
One more plus: you get to give your guide (when he tries to push you to Riviera’s 50 year RTU) your best Charleston Heston impression, and, while holding up the BWV point charts, proclaim, “From my cold dead hands!”

And then when you accidentally outlive your 2042 contract, you can drop to your knees and give your second best Heston impression, proclaiming, “Damn you all to hell!”

As it is the Mouse will have one-upped you.

Congratulations! AKV studios are usually much more available than at a lot of the other ones before the 7 month window as long as you aren't after the values or concierge so that's a plus for you.

Yes, thank you! I generally have no problems planning that far out and I feel like we will be happy wherever we land should we ever waitlist at 7 months. It is a definite perk knowing we have AKV to fall back on for the kids in case the waitlist doesn’t come through for say the Poly lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter