Roger and Letetia Deluxe Dine across Disney! Full dining report 12-8 - 12-14

kkpsirog163

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone, this is my first dining report that I've done. I apologize for the lack of pictures, but here we go!

Information - This was the fourth stay at Walt Disney World Resort for my wife and I. We always stay in value resorts because we don't spend much time in the room, and would rather spend that extra money on all the great food! We were on the deluxe dining plan (As always).

Me: I'm Roger, I'm 34 years old. My favorite restaurant on property is probably California Grill. My favorite characters are Donald, Chip, and Dale. My favorite WDW ride is Haunted Mansion. My favorite Disneyland ride is Space Mountain (So much better than the WDW version!!). My favorite Disney park is a tossup between Epcot and Disneyland.

DW: Letetia is 35 years old. Her favorite restaurant on property is Le Cellier. Her favorite characters are the princes and princesses. Her favorite WDW ride is probably Living with the Land. Her favorite Disneyland ride is - well I'm not sure. Her favorite Disney park is Epcot.

Sunday - 12-8

Letetia drove through the night. We are from Philippi, WV. We had stayed with some family in Richmond, VA and left for the world from there. After a (long) overnight drive, we arrived at our hotel, All-Star Music, before the parks opened, got checked in, and headed for our first destination, Animal Kingdom - where we had our first ADR scheduled as well!

Tusker House Breakfast - We really enjoyed this breakfast. We overbooked our dining and paid for a couple of meals, including this one, out of pocket. Despite enjoying it, it was probably our least favorite breakfast of the trip, simply because the other three really knocked it out of the park. I was brave and tried some of the chicken curry - which I did enjoy! We got our pictures with the characters and filled ourselves up - I was sure to have plenty of Mickey Waffles(my favorite), and I also loved the fresh carved ham. Overall, we do want to return here, but we'll probably try the lunch next time instead.

After filling our bellies, we had a Disney Vacation Club appointment (Which we weren't happy with at all, in fact they completely turned us OFF from buying), and headed to our second park of the day, Epcot. Once arriving Epcot, we jumped on Spaceship Earth - we wanted to get one last ride on it before it goes through it's upcoming changes. We then stopped and got our Chip and Dale Christmas Tree Spree maps, and started our way into the World Showcase, where we had our lunch reservation booked.

Rose and Crown - This was no question one of the best meals of our trip. We're big Rose and Crown fans and it's always one of our top recommendations at the World Showcase, especially for picky eaters (Which we aren't super picky). We ordered the scotch egg and cheese plate for our appetizers, and split them. The scotch egg continues to be a favorite. Letetia ordered their braised beef entree, which just found it's way back onto the menu. This was absolutely phenomenal, she says it's one of the best meals she had all week. I went with the fish and chips which is always delicious, however if I could do it over again, I'd order the braised beef, and hit the counter service next door later in the week for fish and chips. For dessert she had the English Trifle and I had the Sticky Toffee Pudding. We both enjoyed the desserts.

After lunch, we decided to head back to the hotel and freshen up and rest for a few minutes before our evening activities, as we were both tired from the drive. After a rest, we headed over to Hollywood Studios, as I had an appointment at the Droid Depot! I was blown away by Galaxy's Edge - as a huge Star Wars fan, and enjoyed building my BB Unit. We then hopped in line for Millenium Falcon, as it was only a thirty minute wait. We both loved the ride and highly recommend it. We still had time to kill before our dinner reservation, so we hopped on the Alien Swirling Saucers (This was also our first trip since Toy Story Land had opened). After the ride, we headed off to the Grand Floridian, for our dinner at.....

Narcoossee's - This is a bit of a nostalgic one for us. We had our first signature dining meal ever at Narcoossee's in 2013. We typically schedule this as our first night meal. This time however, was probably our last trip to the restaurant. Now mind you, we were EXTREMELY tired, and I had been battling a toothache, which was acting up, but we were thoroughly disappointed. Letetia ordered the cheese plate(She loves her cheese plates!), and I had the lobster bisque. The bisque was rather flavorless. For our entrees she had the Seafood Tagliatelle, which she said was good. I ordered the full lobster, which also, was underwhelming - which is sad, as I love lobster. We were both full and too tired for dessert, but we took them to go - carrot cake, and of course, the almond crusted cheesecake(one of my favorite disney desserts). We headed back to the hotel, and crashed.

Monday, 12-9

We started our day off at Magic Kingdom, as we had a Taste of the Magic Kingdom VIP Tour booked. This had lots of goodies, most of which we had never tried. It started off with a huge, delicious Mickey Cinnamon roll. We then went behind the scenes at the kitchens of Casey's and the Skippers' Canteen, before stopping for a bite to eat at the canteen itself, where we got to sample the cachapas appetizer, and the curried vegetable stew entree. These were both delicious - so much so that we decided we're going to try the Skippers' Canteen on our next trip for sure! Then the tour took us to Aloha Isle for a raspberry/pineapple Dole Whip swirl. Letetia doesn't like dole whip (Chip and Dale, and Launchpad all gave her grief for that later in the day). We then headed to Tortuga Tavern where we were given several pieces of turkey leg, which I loved, but again, Letetia did not. We went to the diamond horseshoe for a celebration salad from Liberty Tree - which we both enjoyed, before going backstage and given the grey stuff in a chip cup from Be Our Guest. The tour ended at Cosmic Ray's with a plant based sloppy joe, which I refused to try, but Letetia didn't seem to hate, followed by an upcoming menu item for a dessert party - a rose shaped/colored raspberry filled "cheesecake" - which tasted nothing like cheesecake and was partially frozen. From here we were pretty full, but of course, we have an ADR for lunch, so we hopped on over to Animal Kingdom, because it was time for...

Yak and Yeti - We love Yak and Yeti. It's the only one of the landry restaurants at WDW that we continue to go back to, because we always have a good experience. We paid for this out of pocket as we weren't super hungry and only ordered appetizers. We got a dim sum basket to split - we loved the bao buns and potstickers, but weren't crazy about the shumai. Letetia also ordered the coconut shrimp, which was good, but we both agreed that it wasn't as good as Outback (I know, crazy, but there's something about Outback's coconut shrimp). I ordered the egg rolls, as I LOVE egg rolls(More egg rolls later in the trip). I was happy with these, as I'd ordered them before and had previously enjoyed them.

We spent the afternoon with a couple of fast passes - Expedition Everest, and Na'vi River Journey. We also rode Dinosaur, and met characters at Donald's Dino-Bash - Launchpad, and Chip and Dale dressed as dinosaurs. I was wearing a dole whip shirt, all three characters pointed it out, and I told all of them Letetia didn't like dole whip. This came with GREAT reactions from the characters. We had a snack break. I went with the dole whip float with coconut rum, and she got the african spiced fries(or something along those lines), with some Asian dipping sauces. I also grabbed a popcorn bucket at this point - a lovely Christmas Tree bucket. We carried our snacks (Minus the dole whip which I consumed a little earlier), and checked in for our final fast pass at Rivers of Light. This is our favorite night time show at Disney, although we still have yet to watch Happily Ever After. Afterward, we went to our next ADR, the one we were the most excited for, as it had been the best meal on our previous trip, at.....

Jiko - We loved Jiko on our first visit. We fell out of love on this evening. Letetia ordered the Tibs in Brik, and I got the African Spiced Scallops. This earns the award for me as the second best appetizer I had all week. Letetia liked hers. We both got the filet with mac and cheese. Letetia ordered it medium well(I know.), and it came out like shoe leather. She was extremely dissapointed, and also didn't like the oak flavor. Mine was cooked to a perfect medium rare, and was delicious, but I also could have gone without the oak flavor of the steak. For dessert she had the Melktert, and hated it. I had the Braai brownie, which was good but not great. We will likely return to Jiko and give it one last chance, but it's definitely no longer one of our top two choices for a signature meal.

Tuesday, 12-10

We started out today at Epcot, with breakfast at Akershus - this was our first visit here. Letetia loves the princesses so we decided to try this one out. We both really enjoyed the breakfast here, and the princesses were very pleasant. Once we finished, we hopped in a 20 minute line for Frozen, as the park had just opened as we were finishing breakfast, and then sat in front of the water and enjoyed some Joffrey's coffee at the entrance to World Showcase while waiting for the rest of World Showcase to open. This was very relaxing and a great way to spend the morning. Once World Showcase opened, we started our way around the world. We first hit the Mexico Pavilion, riding The Three Caballeros, and doing some pre-shopping for later. We walked through Norway and China, checking out the shops as we went, and finding Chip and Dale for the scavenger hunt. We finally arrived at Germany, checking out the Caramel Kuche and again finding Chip and Dale, before having our ADR lunch stop -

Biergarten - Again, like Rose and Crown, we LOVE the Biergarten. It's one of our top three one credit choices for World Showcase. The food is never disappointing and they have a nice variety of German foods, along with a really fun show. I highly recommend this, especially for pickier eaters, as it's one of the more picky-friendly choices in World Showcase. We continued our trek after this, hitting up and finding the pesky chipmunks in Italy, and The American Adventure, as well as Japan. We then hopped onto the boat on Morocco to hit our fastpass at Test Track. Then it was off to Magic Kingdom for our Pre-Christmas Party dinner at....

Be Our Guest - This was our first trip here since it became a two-credit signature restaurant. Previously the food here was just okay. We started with appetizers. Letetia ordered the spiced, seared tuna. Neither of us had ever had tuna like this, and it was DELICIOUS. I ordered the lobster bisque, and dare I say, it was better than Narcoossee's. Four our entrees, she went with the plant based tortellini option, which she enjoyed, and I had the spiced lamb rack - which was cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious. The dessert trio was also great. Be Our Guest has gone from an "okay" dining experience, to a really good one in my opinion. However, this is not the best use of the dining plan as the price doesn't really correlate to two credits. We did enjoy this however. At the party we spent our time meeting some characters, and riding a few rides - Space Mountain with the holiday overlay which was great, splash mountain, and some others. We then viewed Minnie's Holiday Fireworks before returning to our hotel, exhausted at that point.

I'll be posting more tomorrow!

I also wanted to point out - our bread at Jiko came out FROZEN. This was a huge disappointment and made us wonder what is even made fresh on site.

I also wanted to point out - our bread at Jiko came out FROZEN. This was a huge disappointment and made us wonder what is even made fresh on site.
Great reviews so far! Our last time at Jiko was also really disappointing, and it was our anniversary! Server was forgetful, menu options were more limited than in the past, food not up to their usual standard. We have an ADR booked for next week, but I'm a little hesitant...Too bad, it's always been our favorite spot on property.

Wednesday morning we got up and headed for breakfast at....

1900 Park Fare - This was another first time visit for us. We were very impressed by the buffet with their omelette station, as well us one of my favorites - eggs benedict, being on the buffet. The food overall here was excellent and is now one of our favorite breakfasts on property - plus it gave us a reason to go to the Grand Floridian, which is always a treat. Character interactions were great, as we met Mary Poppins, Alice, The Mad Hatter, and Pooh. The Hatter was easily the most fun out of these interactions. After breakfast, there's a photo pass opportunity with Tigger at the restaurant exit. Much to my disappointment, this ended up being Piglet instead. I don't have a problem with Piglet, but Tigger is a favorite of mine, and I ended up not getting to meet him this trip. Oh well.

We finished lunch and headed into Magic Kingdom where we had fastpasses for Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, and Haunted Mansion. While we were here we also rode another favorite of ours - The People Mover. We also met Stitch at his new meet and greet in the former Stitch's Great Escape/Alien Encounter location. We had planned to stay in Magic Kingdom a while longer and have a couple of snacks and watch the parade, but Letetia isn't a huge Magic Kingdom food fan, so instead we hopped over to Epcot to spend some snack credits at The International Festival of the Holidays

Festival Food at Epcot - So I was craving some of the items from the China booth. I went with the Chengdu Street Fries. These were excellent, a new take on fries with the flavor profile. I also ordered the egg rolls, because as I've mentioned before, I'm a sucker for egg rolls. These were really good as well, but I think I prefer the Yak and Yeti version. Letetia actually ventured into the quick service location, Lotus Blossom, and ordered a kids meal comprised of two potstickers and a spring roll. She said these were really good as well. We rested our feet here for a bit and wandered over to Germany where we claimed a bench actross from the Bavaria booth. Letetia got the cheese fondue bread bowl, and the cookie stroll offering here. She enjoyed both. While she was eating, I strolled to the Tuscany booth in Italy and got the chocolate hazelnut molten cake. This was heavenly. We then wandered down to Morocco, and split a couple of pieces of baklava. We then people watched for a couple of hours, continuing to rest our feet, before it was time for our dinner ADR at....

Spice Road Table - This wast the biggest surprise of the trip for us, as it was our first visit here. It was super windy and cold and they sat us outside, but we asked to move inside due to the cold. For appetizers I had the spicy garlic shrimp - this might be the best appetizer I had the whole week. It was basically a spicy version of shrimp scampi. Letetia went with the baked brie - she loves baked brie, and this was no exception. For entrees she ordered the lamb sliders with hummus fries. She said it was very good but she wasn't super hungry. I sampled a hummus fry - and absolutely loved it. I had the rack of lamb with jasmine rice and rosemary potatoes. This was excellent, and honestly just as good as the lamb I had the night before at Be Our Guest. For dessert she had the pistachio creme brulee and I had the chocolate pyramid. This was one of my favorite desserts all week, as I'm a sucker for chocolate mousse.

It was still fairly early but we were exhausted and cold, so we wandered back to the hotel and called it an early night

The next morning we kicked off the day with the Yuletide Fantasy tour. This is probably one of my favorite tours we've taken, and we've taken several. We had stops at the holiday decoration warehouse, disney floral and gifts, and Amorette's Patisserie for gingerbread decorating. We were both starving at this point, as we'd not had breakfast. So we headed over to Hollywood Studios for an afternoon at Galaxy's Edge and some fastpasses - starting with a first time lunch at....

Mama Melrose - Oh boy....this was.....rough. Service was extremely slow. For appetizers, Letetia had the mushroom flatbread, which she said didn't have a lot of taste - neither did my Calamari. She ordered the New York Strip. This came out tasting like a steak from Ryan's or Golden Corral - super salty. It was awful. She sent it back and got the Chef's special which was a braised short rib dish - it was a little better but still not great. I had the Chicken Parmesan. This was just okay, better than Olive Garden. We have some very top notch Italian restaurants where we live, and this is somewhere between Olive Garden and Buca di Beppo. My Tiramisu was probably the best part of the meal. Letetia had the Cappucino Affogato, which was okay she said. After all this, it STILL wasn't the worst meal of the trip. More on that later.

After lunch we used our fastpass at Rock and Roller Coaster, and while in line for that, landed a second fastpass at Tower of Terror. We hit both rides before headed for Galaxy's Edge for a couple more reservations, the first of which was....

Oga's Cantina - We just ordered drinks here. I had the Fuzzy Tauntaun. This drink tasted great. The numbing was minimal and it was very enjoyable. Letetia had the Cliff Dweller, as she wasn't in an alcohol mood. She liked my drink better, but I ended up finishing hers as well. We enjoyed these drinks, and also got hers in the Porg souvenir cup.

We wandered Galaxy's Edge for a bit, buying a red and purple kyber crystal at the den of antiquity. I then had a reservation at Savi's. This was a fantastic experience that I highly recommend to any Star Wars fan. I built a blue lightsaber - great show and great quality lightsaber. After this, we were tired of the rain - it had been raining most of the day, and headed back to the hotel to freshen up and change for our dinner reservation at my favorite restaurant...

California Grill - I LOVE California Grill. I've always loved California Grill since the first time we visited there in 2015, after they finished refurbishment. For appetizers Letetia went with her cheese plate and I had the California combination roll. There are better, more complex sushi choices at CG, but this one sounded good on this evening, and it definitely was. Letetia also enjoyed the cheese plate. We both ordered the bison loin as our entree. I've ordered bison every time I've been to CG and it's never let me down. Tonight was no exception. It was served with beets and a celery root puree. I also had a side of their aged gouda mac and cheese. The bison was perfectly cooked and flavorful, with delicious accompaniments. This was my second favorite meal of our trip. We both finished off with the peppermint creme brulee - which also tasted fantastic but we were too full to finish them.

Tomorrow I'll post about the final full day of our trip, and the day we left - these two days include both the best and worst meals of our trip.

On Friday morning we had a pre-park opening breakfast reservation at Epcot....

Garden Grill - We LOVE Garden Grill. It was our favorite breakfast in our last trip, and it was our favorite breakfast on this trip. We had a great interaction with Mickey here. Letetia was on her phone with her back to Mickey when he came to the table. He stood there and very "impatiently" waited for her to finish her text, tapping his fingers together. He then hassled her for being on the phone, and proceeded to completely snub her and turned his back to her, ignoring her with his arms crossed, then pretended to text. This went on for a good minute or two before he finally gave her a big hug. I'm dying at this point. Easily one of the best character interactions we've had at Disney - along with Launchpad and Chip and Dale giving her a hard time a few days prior for not liking Dole Whip. Chip and Dale also spent extra time interacting with us because I was wearing a chip and dale shirt. Breakfast here was great as always. If you do one breakfast at Disney - this should be the one. The sticky bun bake is amazing, the fruit is top notch, really everything here is delicious and comes with our highest recommendation.

After breakfast, we had a fun filled morning at the land pavilion, with a fast pass for Soarin', and then walking onto the Living with the Land. We then took the Behind the Seeds Tour - a tour which we will do every time we go to Disney - as it's always different and always interesting and fun. We then got on the boat across the World Showcase Lagoon for our lunch ADR at....

Restaurant Marrakesh - This was another first time visit for us. For appetizers Letetia got the goat cheese and loved it. I ordered the chicken bastilla, which I didn't like at all. The waitress then replaced it with the seafood bastilla - and this one I did like. For entrees I went with the braised beef short ribs, and Letetia had the Grouper. We both liked our entrees, but neither of us were really in love with them. For dessert Letetia had the bastilla and I went with the beignets. The desserts were also fine. We liked Marrakesh but it wasn't really anything to write home about, as we preferred Spice Road Table. We would probably return here though.

We spent a lot of time in World Showcase throughout the afternoon, finishing our scavenger hunt for Chip and Dale, and grabbing some snacks in the store in Japan for later. I also got my favorite candy bar which is sadly not available in the United States - Coffee Crisp - from the Canada pavilion (I always stock up on these during our trips to Canada). We relaxed in Canada for a bit and I had an order of traditional poutine (I love poutine. I love Canada in general, we try to visit at least once a year for a weekend). The poutine was very good, and a great use of a snack credit. We continued to wander epcot, returning to Mexico for some souvenir shopping, and checking out the preview center. Finally we had our final dinner reservation, at the restaurant where we ALWAYS have our final dinner of our trip.

Le Cellier - Letetia's favorite restaurant has always been Le Cellier. She loves the filet. I'd previously ordered this, and liked it, but it wasn't my favorite meal. Tonight was EXCEPTIONAL. I had the jumbo shrimp cocktail appetizer, and Letetia had the, you guessed it - cheese plate. The shrimp was great and had a nice cocktail sauce, it really hit the spot. Letetia enjoyed the cheese. For the entrees, Letetia had the filet, but she doesn't care for risotto, so she subbed the mashed potatoes, and she loved her meal. I decided to try the ribeye this evening, as it's typically my favorite cut of steak, plus it was a 16 ounce steak, which was hard to say no to. The steak looked intimidating with the charred crust, but it was cooked to perfection and delicious. This was one of the best steaks I'd ever had. Amazing flavor, very tender, and I couldn't finish it, there was just too much. I would do anything to have this steak again. For dessert we were too full and took it to go. Letetia got the carrot cake, which didn't get eaten. I ordered the nanaimo - something I love having when we visit Canada, and it was very good. Le Cellier was the best meal of our trip. I don't understand why so many people look down on this restaurant.

On the way out of Epcot I got one last fill of the popcorn bucket, and we rode Living With the Land again so we could see the holiday overlay - which we loved. The next morning we packed our things and headed to Disney Springs. We used our remaining 16(!!!) snack credits at Goofy's Candy Company, and did some souvenir shopping - Baby Yoda phone case for me! We hit the Christmas Tree Trail and headed out to our lunch ADR and last meal of our trip at....

Morimoto Asia - I've wanted to eat here since the place opened. We love Asian cuisine and were both very excited for this lunch. To our immediate disappointment, the Morimoto Lunch Special - which is STILL on their menu on the disney springs site - is not on the menu and they would not honor it. We spoke with the manager about this, unhappy as we booked the reservation specifically for this deal. He said they could not honor it and apologized and walked away. A few minutes later another manager came by and said for our troubles, they'd give us two free appetizers. We ordered the pork potstickers and the crab wontons. The potstickers had no flavor, and neither did the wontons - which weren't even wontons. These were more like dumplings in a soup. At this point Letetia is basically fuming. We had ordered Orange Chicken to split. This took almost an hour to arrive. Because of this, the manager also comped the Orange Chicken - You'd think that when you have customers come in, and they're already upset at a falsely advertised menu, they're going to go the extra mile to make sure you have a good experience. The chicken was AWFUL. The sauce tasted terrible. Orange Chicken is WAY better at PANDA EXPRESS. This was the worst meal of our trip, and I can't think of any other Disney restaurants, aside from Rainforest Cafe, where we've had such terrible food. Even Mama Melrose is better. We will never go back here.

Overall, we had a great trip, with great food, and only a couple of exceptions. I hope you enjoyed our report!

Thank you for taking the time to review. I appreciate all the detail and if you would go back or not

Morimoto restaurants must have an issue with keeping their menu straight. A year ago we flew in, took ME to POR, then the boat straight to DS to hit morimoto Asia street food. I had been day dreaming about their chilled sesame noodles for a year at that point. I was then told super rudely that it wasn’t on the menu. I told them I just checked that day and they are on the online menu. He walked away. And guess what, they’re still showing on the menu a year later. What gives!

Le Cellier sounds great!

Enjoyed your report. Thanks for sharing. I have been debating about changing one of my ADR's from Tutto Italia to Rose and Crown, so you've got me thinking. And I have been thinking about adding Morimoto for lunch, but maybe not.

Great report! I also love cheese plates. ❤🧀❤ Were you up for, like, 24 hours that first day?!

Will you be doing a post about your DVC tour experience?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter