Rogers Plans - no more roaming

bankr63

DIS Veteran
For those of you on Rogers, the latest plans have a great benefit for travelers. We upgraded my daughter's phone today (iPhone 13 Pro Max - sweet!) and the rep at Costco switch all 4 lines on our Share Everything plan to the new plans. I love how every time I do this we seem to get more for less!

The most important thing in the new rate packages is that calling, texting and data are now inclusive of "To and From US and Canada". So no more Roam Like Home charges in the United States. These extra fees were really starting to add up as the RLH rates seemed to keep on rising - we got to the point where we would only generally have one phone roaming. See the terms and conditions snip below:
Plan Includes:
20GB Shared High Speed Data, unlimited data at reduced speeds thereafter. See rogers.com/terms for Data Policy
5G access (needs 5G device & coverage)
Unlimited Can+US Calling (to/from)
Unlimited Can+US+International Text, Picture & Video Msgs (sent from Can+US)
Access your data from Can+US
Call & Name Display
Voicemail
2500 Call Frwd Mins
Conference Calling
Call Waiting
Automatic Payments Discount Eligible
Call Forwarding/Call Transfer - Includes 2500 local call forwarding mins per month. Call forwarding overage billed at $0.10 per min (plus
any applicable long distance).

This is for the standard Infinite +20 Financing plan - $85 minus $20 discount on the primary line, $85 minus $40 discount on 3 additional lines. That's 80 Gb total shared data on our 4 lines.

That's a great deal! What province are you in? I couldn't find any deals like that on the Rogers website or Costco's website. I had chatted with someone before who worked at Telus because he posted about a really cheap package and he said the deals can even vary from city to city.

That's a great deal! What province are you in? I couldn't find any deals like that on the Rogers website or Costco's website. I had chatted with someone before who worked at Telus because he posted about a really cheap package and he said the deals can even vary from city to city.
This is in Ottawa, and yes, there is a 'market rate' promotion included in that price. Other cities may have different reductions (or none at all). It also includes the multi-line and pre-authorized debit reductions.

This is in Ottawa, and yes, there is a 'market rate' promotion included in that price. Other cities may have different reductions (or none at all). It also includes the multi-line and pre-authorized debit reductions.
I'm getting a new phone with Rogers next week and we are heading down in three weeks! It's going to cost us $300+ in Roam Like Home while we are down there, so I'm definitely going to look into this!

I'm getting a new phone with Rogers next week and we are heading down in three weeks! It's going to cost us $300+ in Roam Like Home while we are down there, so I'm definitely going to look into this!
Don't pay that much! There are many cheaper options.

I got a Mint Mobile plan. $45 USD for 3 months with an esim. That covered me for our trip to DLR and WDW this summer.

Other options here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/sim-cell-cards.3856341/

I've had this from Rogers for a few years and it makes U.S. travel super easy. I've never had extra charges and use my phone just like I'm at home.

I've had the "with US and Canada-wide calling, text and data" option with Rogers for a number of years. Did the math and it was cheaper to pay the extra per month vs paying for Roam Like Home each trip stateside. Not travelling during the pandemic threw a wrench into the calculus, but with normal traveling for us it makes sense. YMMV.

SW

I just completed a trip... I have Virgin Plus (ie, Bell). Their roam like home package is $12. They promise you that you can use the same package quota for your data and call limits.

There is a catch.... they throttle you (slow you down to 512 kps only) once you reach 1GB per day... So it's useless. Even if you have 20 GB plan, you still cannot use more than 1GB per day.

When we were down this trip I used Airalo e-sim, it worked great and was much cheaper than Bell would have been. However, DH and I aren't big fans of Bell so I might look into changing us over to Rogers. It would be so nice when we travel to the US to not have to deal with any of this!

Handy! Still $15/month more than my plan and DH's plan, we have 20gb each, but we wouldn't spend $360/year in roaming fees even using roam like home.

So I just checked with Rogers and I'm in the GTA, they only have two plans for Canada+US , one is $110 for 50GB and one for $180 a month with 100GB. At that price it doesn't make that much sense for me

So I just checked with Rogers and I'm in the GTA, they only have two plans for Canada+US , one is $110 for 50GB and one for $180 a month with 100GB. At that price it doesn't make that much sense for me
Makes me wonder if Rogers is making other plans available through their partners. The Costco kiosk is operated by Wireless Plus and represents most providers. I was really impressed by the agent's knowledge of the system; he managed to clear up a couple of account oddities across our 5 lines (4 phones, one tablet).
Those two plans sound in line with ours (20GB for $85) and I don't think the plans are regionalized, just the discounts. so maybe Costco would have access. For me this dropped the plan on my primary line by $5 after discounts ($70 down to $65) and by even more on two of the other three lines. Only one line stayed at the same cost, but now with no US roaming charges. Oh and combined data nearly doubled to 80GB shared.

@Starwind the cool thing here is that it's not an add-on for this plan, that is all in the base price and it is competitive with what we were paying with our older (last updated about 24 months ago) plans.

Makes me wonder if Rogers is making other plans available through their partners. The Costco kiosk is operated by Wireless Plus and represents most providers. I was really impressed by the agent's knowledge of the system; he managed to clear up a couple of account oddities across our 5 lines (4 phones, one tablet).
Those two plans sound in line with ours (20GB for $85) and I don't think the plans are regionalized, just the discounts. so maybe Costco would have access. For me this dropped the plan on my primary line by $5 after discounts ($70 down to $65) and by even more on two of the other three lines. Only one line stayed at the same cost, but now with no US roaming charges. Oh and combined data nearly doubled to 80GB shared.

@Starwind the cool thing here is that it's not an add-on for this plan, that is all in the base price and it is competitive with what we were paying with our older (last updated about 24 months ago) plans.
I'm going to my local costco and will report back today hopefully. It's such a good deal since the roam like home charge is ridiculous now at $12 per day. On a family trip where at least 2 people want to keep the roaming on, it's a ton of money

https://www.rogers.com/support/mobility/canada-us-rogers-infinite-plan-faqs-rogers#divSection_1

Looks like it's called Canada + US Infinite, but when I try to update my plan (in Manitoba) this option is not listed 🤷‍♀️

I saw the start of this thread and was excited. Thanks for doing the legwork for me, neighbour!
Of course :) I actually find the chat feature super handy - quick answers from real agents. They don't just post canned replies and require you to call in for details.

I'm going to my local costco and will report back today hopefully. It's such a good deal since the roam like home charge is ridiculous now at $12 per day. On a family trip where at least 2 people want to keep the roaming on, it's a ton of money

I'm sure you saw this earlier, but we have found other options to Roam Like Home, e.g. an Airalo eSIM. I paid $11 USD for 3 gb data that lasts 30 days. I don't generally need my phone to make actual phone calls when travelling, unless an emergency arises, so the data-only type of eSIM is excellent for me.

I think Fido is going to be offering a $15 Canada/US calling. What I don't know is whether it' like the Canada-wide calling... free, or if it's just a lower price for US calling.

Sorry add-on was a misnomber. I have a Rogers Canada+US Infinite plan, which replaced a previous Canada-US non-Infinite plan.

Note the fine print: "However, if you sign up for this plan and then have it removed from a line, it can’t be reactivated on the same line for the next 12 months." That is why I called it an add-on. Technically not, but the US portion is something that can be removed, with consequences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter