Rogers the Musical coming to DCA this summer!! **Edit: Opens 6/30**

I may be in the minority here, but this doesn't look appealing to me at all. I did watch the video and I love theatre. It just didn't seem to fit in with Disneyland. Especially after loving Aladin and Frozen. I can't see this appealing to smaller children either.
My only hope is that it will suck up the crowds and make me wait less time on other things in the Park.

Are the actual shows very long? Like are they 30 minutes or more than an hour?
Trying to gauge if we need to fit this in to our first ever visit to DL.
So many new and fun things!!!

A purposefully ‘wink wink’ cheesy musical parody of Broadway musicals based on the in-universe bad musical from the MCU can definitely be fun and hilarious.

It’s just… that’s a lot of layers of abstraction for the average guest at the park. (Remember, the average guests are the ones who say things like, “what movie is Dumbo from?”)

The super fans will get it, but I foresee a lot of negative comments from people who don’t understand the context. “I saw that Avengers show, and it was just stupid.”

So, I imagine that this will be a limited-time thing while they work on finding a more mainstream* long term replacement.

* I’m not saying Marvel isn’t mainstream. I’m just saying the context for this specific concept is not exactly the most mainstream thing.

Ugh, bummer. I was also hoping for something more into the classic Disney. I thought I could enjoy Avengers/Marvel/what-have-you, but went to the theater for the Quantumania movie and realized it just doesn't interest me at all haha. Oh well, maybe that will pull other guests from other parts of the park and make wait times go down slightly (a girl can dream, ok!!!).

OMG…so excited:cool1:

Now can we please have a Marvel after dark event to kick it off??? That would be the perfect night!

And to the naysayers…Disney has something for EVERYONE. I don’t personally like the “new” IP (Encanto, Coco, Onward, Strange World, latest stylized Mickey) but I accept that others do and just because I’m of the generation that loved Cinderella, Snow White, Fantasia, Bambi doesn’t mean I expect today’s young people to be drawn to them. Times change…Disney has tried to change with them, sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Most people haven’t seen the entire MCU arcs to know the stories and get the inside jokes, of which there are many. Each film builds on the previous one.
My DH hates them but he’ll try and watch them if I happen to have something on. He did love She-Hulk though so there is hope…
I actually know people who went to see Endgame as their first Marvel movie…shrugs

I hope it‘s campy and corny and I’ll be happy!

Last edited:
Well, congratulations to those of you who guessed "Rogers: The Musical" in the thread about casting auditions for something new at the Hyperion. I was one of the people who scoffed at that idea, since the entire musical currently consists of one (1) song. Marc Shaiman is going to have to write at least a couple more songs if they're going to stretch this out to 20 minutes or more.

I admit that it could be fun, but since it is all based on an in-joke, I share dieumeye's concerns about many DL visitors not understanding that it's a spoof.

Same. I don't even know what this is. I gave up on the Marvel universe early on.

I was hoping for Frozen. Or Aladdin. Or something classic. I haven’t been a huge marvel fan in awhile… I loved the movies when they started back with Captain America, but they’ve lost me in the last 5 years or so.

Alan Tudyk is in (or voice) so many shows, but not the MCU — this must be rectified
He was in Big Hero 6. Kind of Marvel, but not quite MCU. He was also in Doom Patrol.

It doesn’t have to be super campy and people don’t have to understand anything about Hawkeye or recent Marvel stuff. The Disney teaser video with Peggy Carter walking up to the theater looking impeccable (from behind) indicates that it might be a little different vibe than the Hawkeye performance anyway.

A 30ish- minute retelling of Captain America’s story sounds fun and isn’t “unapproachable” to a casual Marvel fan. Most people know who Captain America is. They’ve already got “Star-Spangled Man with a Plan” as a musical number option from his first movie. If they want to go super campy (even just for the Hawkeye song at the end), they can easily convey that any number of ways.

It was intentionally bad/funny. The worst was the costumes:

rogers_the_musical.png

It's all very, purposefully, cheap.

The sad part I can assure you is cheap looking costumes are not often actually cheap in a professional production 😂

And it's not a Disney markup either 🙃

super campy
Campy is one thing, but “this is bad on purpose” is a tougher sell to people who will literally be sitting in the theater.

I think it’s funny that they’re doing it, but the more I think about it the more I wonder how it’s actually going to work. I mean, it’s not good. On purpose. But how’s that gonna work with an actual audience?

I’m a Marvel fan and watched Hawkeye, but you can count me with in with the dumbfounded, “Seriously?” crowd. Aladdin and Frozen were spectacular and entertaining, well above the quality one would expect at a theme park. Having seen both shows on Broadway with our kids, I can attest that some elements of the Hyperion shows were better than the Broadway productions. This, however, seems really niche.

Trying to have some faith here, but we walk into Hyperion expecting to be wowed. I’m not sure this is it. We’ll see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter