Roku vs. Apple TV?

Jenny18199

Earning My Ears
I received both a Roku 'stick' and an Apple TV 'box' for Christmas. Can anyone tell me the differences in these two things as well as pros/cons for each? From my understanding, they are similar devices that allow you to stream programming? Is correct? Thanks for your help!

I don't really know much about electronics but I know the Apple TV will let you use "air play" from your iPhone, iPad, etc. It basically mirrors whatever is showing (or listening to) on you iPhone, etc. We have used that feature to look at our pictures, help someone book their Disney trip, watch YouTube videos, etc.

It really depends on the devices you have and what store you want to get your content from. If you have iphones,ipads and buy your content in itunes go with the Appletv. If you want to be able to shop around for the best content deals on Amazon, GooglePlay etc. Use the Roku.

We have both, and I think a BIG con to the Apple TV is that you can't stream Amazon. But, it was tons of fun looking at our iCloud pictures on the big TV screen the other night via Apple TV.

We have both, and I think a BIG con to the Apple TV is that you can't stream Amazon. But, it was tons of fun looking at our iCloud pictures on the big TV screen the other night via Apple TV.
You can stream Amazon to your iPhone or iPad and airplay it on the AppleTV. It's not the best solution since you'll be eating up battery on your device, but it works.

For those who have it, is the Roku stick similar to the set top box? I got the box so I don't have to run the computer or my phone at the same time as I watch TV.

I LOVE my Roku 3!

My son actually bought a Roku TV, an actual TV with it built into it, and an Apple TV to go with it. They look like they do the same things to me, but he tends to use the Apple TV more.

The former "we" used to have both. In his room there was a Roku and in mine AppleTV. It depends on whether you got a 4th generation or 3rd generation AppleTV. The 4th gens are supposed to be really cool. The 3rd gens are a lot cheaper. I have a 3rd gen myself. If you are really tied to iTunes, AppleTV is going to integrate really well. I think there are ways to set up a Roku to play your files and stuff with something called Plex, but I am guessing it is complicated. AppleTV fits like a glove if you are an iTunes maniac.

As far as services available... They do a lot of the same stuff, I'd say the Roku wins that one because Apple TV (at least the 3rd gen) does NOT do Amazon Prime streaming.

I guess Air Play is a possible workaround, but I never got it to work too well with anything I have tried.

The former "we" used to have both. In his room there was a Roku and in mine AppleTV. It depends on whether you got a 4th generation or 3rd generation AppleTV. The 4th gens are supposed to be really cool. The 3rd gens are a lot cheaper. I have a 3rd gen myself. If you are really tied to iTunes, AppleTV is going to integrate really well. I think there are ways to set up a Roku to play your files and stuff with something called Plex, but I am guessing it is complicated. AppleTV fits like a glove if you are an iTunes maniac.

As far as services available... They do a lot of the same stuff, I'd say the Roku wins that one because Apple TV (at least the 3rd gen) does NOT do Amazon Prime streaming.

I guess Air Play is a possible workaround, but I never got it to work too well with anything I have tried.
Something I can't seem to find a clear answer for: Do I need iTunes open on my computer to watch my iTunes content or will I be able to stream it from the Cloud with an Apple TV?

We are equal opportunity content watchers, stuff on Amazon, Vudu and iTunes. The Roku stick and box are essentially the same thing. TiVo finally, FINALLY got Amazon Prime streaming (and has Vudu) so I gave my Roku to my parents. I have a couple hundred movies in my iTunes account so have been wanting to get an Apple TV. I'd say if you don't have/plan on content with iTunes, the Roku is the way to go.

Something I can't seem to find a clear answer for: Do I need iTunes open on my computer to watch my iTunes content or will I be able to stream it from the Cloud with an Apple TV?

We are equal opportunity content watchers, stuff on Amazon, Vudu and iTunes. The Roku stick and box are essentially the same thing. TiVo finally, FINALLY got Amazon Prime streaming (and has Vudu) so I gave my Roku to my parents. I have a couple hundred movies in my iTunes account so have been wanting to get an Apple TV. I'd say if you don't have/plan on content with iTunes, the Roku is the way to go.

The way I have done it is of course having iTunes running on a computer and accessing the content through the "Computers" icon on the Apple TV. All of the playlists and everything are intact perfectly. I looked around online a little bit, there DOES seem to be a way to use Airplay from the cloud to your Apple TV. I have never tried to use this function, I did however look in the settings and it DOES have an option to "Play from iTunes in the Cloud". You gotta make sure that is turned to "Auto" instead of "Off".

I tried this myself as an experiment just now. If you go to the Movies or Music Icons on the main screen (I don't have any purchased TV shows so I can't vouch for that part) they will appear and they will play. The only thing I can find from the cloud is Purchased stuff. I cannot find a way to play stuff unless it is "purchased".

The way I have done it is of course having iTunes running on a computer and accessing the content through the "Computers" icon on the Apple TV. All of the playlists and everything are intact perfectly. I looked around online a little bit, there DOES seem to be a way to use Airplay from the cloud to your Apple TV. I have never tried to use this function, I did however look in the settings and it DOES have an option to "Play from iTunes in the Cloud". You gotta make sure that is turned to "Auto" instead of "Off".

I tried this myself as an experiment just now. If you go to the Movies or Music Icons on the main screen (I don't have any purchased TV shows so I can't vouch for that part) they will appear and they will play. The only thing I can find from the cloud is Purchased stuff. I cannot find a way to play stuff unless it is "purchased".
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate you checking it out for me.

Seems much easier to buy an hdmi connector for your iPad and just connect it directly to the tv.
There's also the "trip" factor on the cord and the cost of the HDMI connector.

Personally, I went with an Android TV box, but in the end had Kodi installed on my laptop to watch streaming content as it was more wifi stable than those tiny stream box antennas.

How would that be easier than just selecting something from a device that's already hooked up and hitting play?

This is if you are not using Apple TV. Personally, I would still stick with ROKU, as much of the content I could pay for on iTunes, I can get for free through various streaming services or services I already pay for (Hulu, Amazon Prime).

DD has a macbook pro, an iPhone, and a netflix account. She watches her netflix movies on her macbook. If she wants to watch the netflix stuff on the 'regular' TV, what should we be looking for? (I don't think she has much in iTunes anymore... just music, and she uses her laptop to play that.)

Can you tell that I am "techno-stupid?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter