"Roll-in" shower stalls..Where???

KimRaye

DIS Oldtimer and Threadkiller
Hello fellow DISers. I'm a long-timer (not disabled) and I'm asking this for a family friend going in the Spring with their kids and grandkids. They are in need of ONE room, as far as I know, with a roll-in shower stall. Is this the proper term? The Dad/Grandpa is wheelchair bound and needs this amenity. Are there rooms (there must be, right?) at WDW resorts for this? :confused3 The mom/grandma has gotten ZERO answers or help from castmembers via phone. :guilty:

I would really like to help this family have a good time, with just this (hopefully) simple request!

Any and ALL replies are appreciated! :thumbsup2

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Kim

Hi Kim,

don't know about Fort Wilderniss, but I know the value, mods and deluxe all have handicapped rooms, including those with roll in showers. The amount of them varies, for instance CBR only has 21 handicapped rooms (different settings) on a totall of about 2100 rooms! They can book through CRO, but have to be putt through (or the CM at CRO will have to arrange it while they're on hold) to Special Requests. This is a special department that'll deal with the special needs during a stay at a resort. They will block a room right then and there, so he's sure he'll have a roll in shower. The number of SR is in the sticky on top op the disABILITIES-part.

I've had a bit of a scare when I changed my ressies from ASMo to CBR. CRO told me everything is fine, then I talk to SR and they say "hmm, haven't got a roll in shower anymore". But she also added directly that that's their problem, and because I absolutely need it, it's upto Disney to fix this and get me what I need, even if it ment upgrading. Luckily it turned out there was a mixup. The e-mail deparment got a mail from CRO and just blocked the last room with a roll in shower for me. The phone department of SR didn't know that, and just looked at a screen telling them "no rooms".

If they're travelling with a party, they can also ask for connecting or ajoining rooms, even if one of them is a handicapped room.

By ADA law, each resort must have a certain proportion of h/a rooms available. All WDW resorts, including the Ft. Wilderness cabins, will have rooms available with a roll in shower. As was mentioned above, those rooms need to be requested at time of reservation and are then blocked by SR ( special reservations ) for the guest who needs them. There may be an occasion where a roll in shower room is not available at a certain resort but you would be told that information at the time of booking- this is why it's a good idea to book early and secure the room type you need. ---Kathy

There is a formula for the number of handicapped accessible rooms hotels/resorts have to have by law.
Some of the rooms are required to be handicapped accessible (which means things like grab bars in the bathroom, raised seat toilets and a bathtub with grab bars).
Some of the rooms are required to be fully wheelchair accessible, which means they have things like a roll in shower and roll under sink.

All the resorts have both kinds of rooms. As the others mentioned, Special Reservations keeps track of those rooms and when you are booking, the CM needs to check with them so that the proper type of room is blocked for you. Since you are having trouble getting answers, you could try calling Special Reservation directly (as was mentioned, the number is in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the thread list).

akl does have roll in showers. when they go to reserve at any hotel tell them you need a handicap accessible room with a roll in shower. then when you check in ask if the room they are putting you in has a roll in shower. if they say no insist that you need a roll in shower and hopefully they accommodate you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter