Rollator question

leebee

DIS Veteran
I am 4 months total knee replacement surgery. I am doing ok but find when I work all day, teaching in a lab for 4 hours on my feet followed by another 3 hours of being on my feet intermittently, I'm pretty wiped out and uncomfortable for the rest of the day. I'm considering buying a rollator for our next trips to Disney (Nov '23 and Jan '24) but have a question. When looking at the handles and the seat, I'm worried that when walking with a regular gait, my shins will hit the seat. Do you have to shorten your stride to use a rollator, or am I just worrying needlessly?

I am 4 months total knee replacement surgery. I am doing ok but find when I work all day, teaching in a lab for 4 hours on my feet followed by another 3 hours of being on my feet intermittently, I'm pretty wiped out and uncomfortable for the rest of the day. I'm considering buying a rollator for our next trips to Disney (Nov '23 and Jan '24) but have a question. When looking at the handles and the seat, I'm worried that when walking with a regular gait, my shins will hit the seat. Do you have to shorten your stride to use a rollator, or am I just worrying needlessly?
We've had family members utilize a rollator over the years, and if you're considering it - I'd say it would be a great idea, especially for Disney. It offers more stability when walking, and having the option for a seat whenever and wherever you might need it is so helpful - especially waiting in lines! If you get a quality rollator, you shouldn't have trouble with your walking gait.

My rollator is one of the less expensive ones on Amazon-$98. However, I've never had problems with my shins hitting the seat. However, I will caution you about sitting on the seat. Even if you have the brakes on, when you go to sit down, be careful that the rollator doesn't try to roll away! The man who delivered mine said thet it's best to see if there's something handy that you can back your rollator up to, like a wall, or even a post to discourage it from rolling. Not necessary, just safer.

If you have the option, visit a local mobility vendor, and try out some options in person.

I have used both the "traditional" and the "Euro" style rollators, and you will walk normally. The main thing is to make sure that the handle height is proper for you. Every manufacturer will have their own instructions, but the idea is the same: you don't want to be stooped over, or placing your weight incorrectly on your wrists, arms & shoulders.

The main thing to watch out for is I had a tendency to really watch my feet at first, because I was so worried about tripping. Once I realized that was not going to happen, and I relaxed, I was fine!

This is one mobility category where a higher price point does not necessarily mean better function - I get the same use and value from an "old-school" traditional rollator as I do the "Euro" style. In fact, I actually prefer the traditional style when traveling because the underseat basket is better secured; the Euro style basket is out in front when you are walking, and is just a large zippered mesh pouch, where the traditional style underseat storage holds more, and is more private.

Patterned concrete will be a problem regardless of the walker/rollator style you have; I find that the larger wheels on some Euro style walkers are actually harder to use on heavily patterned pavement. A smaller, softer wheel does just as well, if not better in that case.

A rollator can be a great mobility tool for Disney World.

My mom has a rollator. She does not use it at Disney as we do get her an ECV, but she uses it in her everyday life. I have pushed it a few times (in the airport when she was in a wheelchair) and I did not run into issues with kicking it. Both my mom and I are short though so not sure if that makes a difference, but I know my gait is much longer than my mom's. I think it would work well for you. I got ours off Amazon and just had her PT at the time adjust to her height for her.

I agree with Mamabunny! We bought my Mother's rollator at our medical equipment store. It cost around $70.00 and is wonderful. No problems at all. So in this case, more expensive is not better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter