• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rolo Pretzel Bites - chocolate turning white!

Maddie2

DIS Veteran
Indirectly, this is a budget consideration as I might have to buy MORE rolos ....

I am making several types of candies and cookies to be used at a few gatherings in the next week. I can't wait until the day they will be served to make them, therefore I'm trying to get a bunch of things made today. The chocolate in the Rolo Pretzel Bites I made 2 days ago has turned whitish. I know they are safe to eat, but they don't look fresh.

How can I make up treats made with chocolate head of time and store them until later in the week/next weekend?

What are your favorite holiday things to make that can be stored and/or frozen to be served later?

TIA!

I believe it has to do with the butter/milk/oils in the chocolate. Over time, and I believe heating the chocolate accelerates the process, the milk fat in the chocolate will "separate" a little and go to the surface. The milk fat content and processing can also alter the "whitening". "Better/expensive" chocolates are less sensitive to this separation.

Hi
I have made these for Co-workers before.
(Made a week ahead and stored in refrigerator in treat bags).
2 ingredient Dark chocolate peppermint bark.

INGREDIENTS​

makes 2-3 cups
  • 6 regular-sized candy canes (1/2 cup crushed)
  • 9oz bag dark chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life)
  • 2-3 drops food safe peppermint oil or extract (optional)
DIRECTIONS
1. Line a half sheet pan with a silpat (baking mat) or parchment paper then set aside.

2. Add candy canes to a large ziplock bag then place onto a kitchen towel and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to crush the candy (keep on kitchen towel in case the bag gets a small tear - easier to clean up.) Scoop out 2 Tablespoons crushed candy then set aside.

3. Add chocolate chips to a medium-sized bowl then microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between increments, until the chocolate is smooth - 1:30 - 2 minutes. Add crushed candy canes and peppermint oil/extract, if using, then stir to incorporate. Pour mixture onto prepared sheet pan then spread into an even layer. It helps to pick the pan up and gently shake it back and forth until the candy has formed an even layer. Sprinkle with reserved crushed candy canes then refrigerate until the chocolate has set, 20 minutes.

4. Break bark into pieces then serve or package into gift bags and tie with a ribbon - keep chocolates refrigerated until eating or gifting.
1671406573234.png

Last edited:
The butterfat can separate from chocolate when exposed to heat. They look unappealing but are still safe to eat.

That's called bloom. The chocolate is still edible but won't have the same snap and will taste a bit chalky.

https://www.chocolatetemperingmachines.com/pages/what-is-chocolate-bloom

If you want to avoid it, you have to properly temper your chocolate (which you can't do with rolos).

NEVER refrigerate or freeze chocolate. This will cause instant blooming.

Keep your house between 68 and and 72 when working with and storing chocolate. Keep it dry. Humidity under 50% is crucial.

Store it in airtight containers and don't expose to temperature fluctuations.

Do NOT use melted chocolate chips for candy making. Chocolate chips have additives that make them difficult to work with and produce a shiny finish. Always use solid chocolate bars that you chop up and melt SLOWLY. Don't ever use a microwave to melt chocolate. Too hard to maintain steady temperatures.

That's called bloom. The chocolate is still edible but won't have the same snap and will taste a bit chalky.

https://www.chocolatetemperingmachines.com/pages/what-is-chocolate-bloom

If you want to avoid it, you have to properly temper your chocolate (which you can't do with rolos).

NEVER refrigerate or freeze chocolate. This will cause instant blooming.

Keep your house between 68 and and 72 when working with and storing chocolate. Keep it dry. Humidity under 50% is crucial.

Store it in airtight containers and don't expose to temperature fluctuations.

Do NOT use melted chocolate chips for candy making. Chocolate chips have additives that make them difficult to work with and produce a shiny finish. Always use solid chocolate bars that you chop up and melt SLOWLY. Don't ever use a microwave to melt chocolate. Too hard to maintain steady temperatures.
Good information, thanks!

Hi
I have made these for Co-workers before.
(Made a week ahead and stored in refrigerator in treat bags).
2 ingredient Dark chocolate peppermint bark.

INGREDIENTS​

makes 2-3 cups
  • 6 regular-sized candy canes (1/2 cup crushed)
  • 9oz bag dark chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life)
  • 2-3 drops food safe peppermint oil or extract (optional)
DIRECTIONS
1. Line a half sheet pan with a silpat (baking mat) or parchment paper then set aside.

2. Add candy canes to a large ziplock bag then place onto a kitchen towel and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to crush the candy (keep on kitchen towel in case the bag gets a small tear - easier to clean up.) Scoop out 2 Tablespoons crushed candy then set aside.

3. Add chocolate chips to a medium-sized bowl then microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between increments, until the chocolate is smooth - 1:30 - 2 minutes. Add crushed candy canes and peppermint oil/extract, if using, then stir to incorporate. Pour mixture onto prepared sheet pan then spread into an even layer. It helps to pick the pan up and gently shake it back and forth until the candy has formed an even layer. Sprinkle with reserved crushed candy canes then refrigerate until the chocolate has set, 20 minutes.

4. Break bark into pieces then serve or package into gift bags and tie with a ribbon - keep chocolates refrigerated until eating or gifting.
View attachment 726089
YUM!!!

I’m wondering if the choc having a whiteish color is if was sitting in the heat. Some items have sat for a long time in stock/cargo etc. I’ve never has an issue using chocolate chips for candy etc. I say this because hubby bought me a smal bag of snickers and the chocolate was the same. I thought maybe it was old but the expiration was still good

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter