Rookie Observations on a Half Marathon

Loved it, sk8ingmom. I'm doing my first half in March at the princess and enjoyed your wisdom ;) I'm pretty sure I failed that 12 minute mile in high school, so I'm always amused by what my grade school/high school acquaintances must think of my running related posts on fb ;)

Swimmom (I'm not sure if I got your screen name right... sorry!) I think I mentioned this to you before, but I am running with the exact same purpose! I had cervical surgery fusing c6/c7 (just one level) back in April and have found it very difficult to overcome all of that emotionally... I was at disneyworld with my family last March over the half marathon weekend, hobbling around in pain with an ice pack on my herniated disc, then got surgery to get it out at the end of April... hoping this race helps me "take back" that experience! Training has been going great, way better than I expected. I started out hoping for 2:30-2:45 and now I"m starting to hope for the 2:11 my training plan put me at, though I'm not too confident in that yet ;)

love it! ITA about the ramp going up to Epcot. I. hate. hills!! Also think the singer outside the GF was funny, and my husband mentioned something about running right into our room at the Poly as we passed by!!!

congrats on your run!

Oh, and also know which bathrooms at MK were closed for renovations,( :confused3) important!! :thumbsup2

Yes. I always plan a stop at the ones in Frontier land during the full. I usually have to go around this time and the sun is usually starting to come up so I can clean my sunglasses with something dry.

But, low and behold they were closed this time. Glad I wasn't running with my legs crossed :). I did use the porta potties a half mile up the road so all was well.

enjoy,
Duane

I hate to give up an important potty secret, but when the lines in Tomorrowland were out the door, DH and I went a bit further down the course and enjoyed potties all to ourselves. If you turn before the teacups and take the path to the castle, there's a bathroom behind the ice cream place that was blissfully empty during the half.

I hate to give up an important potty secret, but when the lines in Tomorrowland were out the door, DH and I went a bit further down the course and enjoyed potties all to ourselves. If you turn before the teacups and take the path to the castle, there's a bathroom behind the ice cream place that was blissfully empty during the half.

A CM told me during the race that only the Tomorrowland bathrooms were for our use...but I knew there had to be other ones open out there. Wish I had been brave and went searching. I hated waiting in that line during the race!

this is a great list - and I agree with ALL of it!

Funny enough - my first half at Disney (in 2009), I attempted to go on Space Mountain the evening after the race.

I got all the way to the load area, looked at the car and realized there was NO way I was going to be able to get in and more importantly - get back out.

I turned around and walked out of the attraction (and over to Casey's for a celebratory hot dog).

:goodvibes BRILLIANT!!! I just LOVED reading this post! And the replies! I laughed out loud several times! I can relate to so much of what you wrote! I just signed up for my very first half-the Tinkerbell-in January. I am not a runner. I am not even a good jogger but I started a month ago and have been an every other day'er since then. I have worked up to 2.5-4 with my regular being a 5K. I ran my first 5K in over 14 years and had a time of 33.17 for a course that was actually 3.27. A friend translated my time for a 3.1 to 31.30. I wanted to make it under 32 so I guess I am doing well! :goodvibes
I just hope I don't lose steam before January. Running 3 miles is one thing, running 13 seems so far away right now....even at Disneyland!
My other goal is to get the coast to coast Disney medal by doing the Wine and Dine Half in Oct 2012 as well. Originally thought of doing the half marathon relay team but it won't qualify for the C to C medal :sad1:
What are WISHers? I feel out of the loop! :upsidedow

Great post! Love hearing others' stories. I plan on having many "keep it together" moments and a complete breakdown at the finish. Thanks!

I was actually THERE during marathon weekend 2010 (the marathon weekend this post was written about) and remember how cold it was. Our Magic Express driver kept saying "It's going to SNOW tonight" and was very excited about it. I had just left 8" of snow on my driveway, so I was excited there wasn't already any on the ground.

When I was there, I was NOT a runner. Seeing all the finishers really got me thinking about it, and I started running that summer. Now, looking back at that vacation (with a half under my belt), I look at that situation completely differently. What would I pack to wear for the race? How much throwaway stuff can I bring? Well, really, it would just make more room for souvenirs - ha!

We're going back for marathon weekend in 2012. I WILL be a half marathoner this time. And 7 yo DD and I will both be 5k-ers! :-)

PS. Keep in mind, I wasn't seeing finishers until after I had slept in (it was VACATION) and the parks had been opened. So, I was seeing back-of-the-packers. So, even if you're slow, you're a finisher, and you are still an inspiration!

PS. Keep in mind, I wasn't seeing finishers until after I had slept in (it was VACATION) and the parks had been opened. So, I was seeing back-of-the-packers. So, even if you're slow, you're a finisher, and you are still an inspiration!

Speaking as a back-of-the-packer.......THANK YOU! That's so kind of you to say, and it made my day. :goodvibes

Speaking as a back-of-the-packer.......THANK YOU! That's so kind of you to say, and it made my day. :goodvibes

I actually think that the back-of-the-packers are often the MOST inspiring athletes in a race. They work just as hard for sometimes as much as twice as long. And they give people who have never run or raced the idea that this is something for everyone. It is not just the fast people, the super athletic people, the young people or the experienced people. It was a couple of back-of-the-packers who gave me the courage to start. :thumbsup2

Pretty sure WISHers just refers to anybody who uses these boards. (This competition and events board is a subset of the WISH section of the Disboards.)

Yes! You are correct - People who use the WISH (We're Inspired To Stay Healthy) section of the DISboards are WISHers. You can often recognize us at a race because we are wearing our lime green racing shirts (like the lime green mickey heads used by other DISers, but in shirt form) and visors/hats. And sometimes occasionally wigs. But even if you don't have any lime gear, you can still be a WISHer just by being on the boards. Of course then you do have to introduce yourself if you want to be recognized as a WISHer.

Running a race at Disney, you'll see WISHers on the course either running or scream-teaming (i.e. cheering, providing extra snacks) - we often shout to each other as we pass "Go WISH!"

What Corrinna said -

Once you post - you are one of us! :goodvibes

Dont forget the motto!

DLF>DNF>>DNS
(Dead Last Finish is better than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start),
WISH gave me the courage to start.​

I have bad memories of the 2010 Marathon, sitting huddled by myself waiting to move forward in the corral... turning a corner about 1/4 mile before Contemporary and being hit by sleet - wondering if my lip was bleeding...

Mostly having nice conversations with the sweepers for at least a mile!

57860-1709-012t.jpg

no one but sweepers behind me!

It was so cold Minnie and Mickey werent there to greet the last runners across - they sent the wheelchair volunteer, he was really nice, he apologized that Mickey couldnt be here- I was just glad I was there! AND they hadnt turned off the timer!! (In '08 even tho my garmin watch said I finished in 3:35 min - they had turned off the timer - notice the time here this year! :confused3 Yes, I was slower, heavier too - not training properly and enjoying food will do that to a person!)

57860-3051-033t.jpg

unofficial WISH gear can be found here:
http://www.cafepress.com/livinglively/1508670

I really like my WISH shirt -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter