• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Room charge question

Crazy4DisneyandTink

Mouseketeer
I remember reading somewhere that Disney now placing a certain monetary hold on your bank account when charging purchases to your room. Is this true and if so can someone please explain it to me? TIA!:flower:

I remember reading somewhere that Disney now placing a certain monetary hold on your bank account when charging purchases to your room. Is this true and if so can someone please explain it to me? TIA!:flower:
There's a $100 hold that is placed on you credit or debit card when you are checked in. Every night, the system checks for charges you've made against your room account and when your purchases total $100 or more, the charge is put thru and another $100 hold is placed on you credit/debit card. This process is repeated throughout your stay. If you never charge to your room, then the hold is released after your stay is complete.

There's a $100 hold that is placed on you credit or debit card when you are checked in. Every night, the system checks for charges you've made against your room account and when your purchases total $100 or more, the charge is put thru and another $100 hold is placed on you credit/debit card. This process is repeated throughout your stay. If you never charge to your room, then the hold is released after your stay is complete.

Would it be possible for me to just pay my balances every night when I return to the resort? I plan to use gift cards for payment.

Also, is it $100 per day? Is the same $100 used if the balance is paid in full each night? Thank so much for the help.

I think the deluxe resorts let you charge up to $500 BEFORE they charge your credit card. I stopped by every other morning and used gift cards to pay off the balance. It was super easy. Just be sure not to charge to the room your last day there or that will go to the credit card. They process it , like 12 hours ( i think) before you check out

Would it be possible for me to just pay my balances every night when I return to the resort? I plan to use gift cards for payment.
Yes, you can use GCs to pay down your balance each night. It's kind of a pain in the neck to do but it's possible.
Also, is it $100 per day? Is the same $100 used if the balance is paid in full each night? Thank so much for the help.
If you pay down the outstanding balance on your room folio before it reaches $100, then the initial hold remains in place and no further holds are made.

Why not just use the GC's to pay for purchases as you make them instead of charging to your room? That would save nightly trips to the desk to pay your folio and be less of a headache. The only time I typically charge anything to my room is when I am at the water parks and I take nothing but my band with me.

Why not just use the GC's to pay for purchases as you make them instead of charging to your room? That would save nightly trips to the desk to pay your folio and be less of a headache. The only time I typically charge anything to my room is when I am at the water parks and I take nothing but my band with me.
[/QU

For the first time, I am trying to go into the parks with just a Magic band, no wallet or bag, so I won't have a giftcard with me.

You can also have them put the gift cards on your room ahead of time, and then each day's charges get deducted against it, won't have to go to the front desk each day. We did this one time when we had a large refund from Annual Passes price adjustment that they put on a gift card. It took a few days to burn through it with meals and purchases, then it switched over to the credit card for the balance of the trip.

You can also have them put the gift cards on your room ahead of time, and then each day's charges get deducted against it, won't have to go to the front desk each day. We did this one time when we had a large refund from Annual Passes price adjustment that they put on a gift card. It took a few days to burn through it with meals and purchases, then it switched over to the credit card for the balance of the trip.
When was the last time that you did this? The credit card hold will go into effect from Day #1. And there are a lot of CMs who either can't or won't create a room credit with gift cards.

l asked about this on another thread and was told it could not be done. I also wanted to put my gift cards down when l arrived.

When was the last time that you did this? The credit card hold will go into effect from Day #1. And there are a lot of CMs who either can't or won't create a room credit with gift cards.
It was August 2020, staying at the Contemporary, just the one gift card, over $500. We got the gift card from Guest Services at Epcot as a refund for price adjustment on our annual passes. I took the gift card to the front desk at the Contemporary and they were able to put the whole thing on it.

Also, if you check in in person, the CM can put a notice on the account to NOT charge the credit card on file your final night - which allows you to use all your GCs the morning of check out, saving some stops by the lobby.

I could be interpreting what you said wrong, but are you planning on taking your ID with you? I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but going somewhere without any form of ID is not the best idea. If anything happened and you had to seek medical attention you'd need at a minimum ID, possibly insurance information or a credit card. Understandable if you don't want to carry a bag, but I'd suggest at least wearing one of those ID lanyards. Bonus being you could tuck a gift card in there as well.

We do same thing-

We last did this in early Feb. of this year during a 3 day stay at OKW, and we've done it at several other resorts. Never had a issue-

This upcoming trip will be the first time I use a cc on hold and I am a bit nervous about it. I am really going budget this time and I am using my Venmo card to hold the $100. Am I right in thinking that they just place the initial $100 on hold and if I charge under that it will just be charged at the the end of my stay (4 nights, btw) and they do not place another hold unless I spend over the initial $100?

When we were there in August at CBR, I think it $500 before they charged the credit card. I was going to the front every other day to pay off with gift cards. One thing to note, you do actually have to go in person to do it. I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to do it online or on the phone before I got ahold of customer service who told me it could only be done in person. One nice thing though, if you use multiple cards, they were very gracious with us about applying all the small balances and using up those cards so we weren’t having to run multiple cards in the stores to use it all up. If you use mobile ordering, it will not store your gift card, so it’s best to put the number/s in a note on your phone so you can quickly copy/paste into the mobile ordering app.

I could be interpreting what you said wrong, but are you planning on taking your ID with you? I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but going somewhere without any form of ID is not the best idea. If anything happened and you had to seek medical attention you'd need at a minimum ID, possibly insurance information or a credit card. Understandable if you don't want to carry a bag, but I'd suggest at least wearing one of those ID lanyards. Bonus being you could tuck a gift card in there as well.

And you probably need to carry a phone anyways

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter