• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Room Key?

lsutigger

Mouseketeer
If this isn't the correct board for this ? please move it - thanks

When DH and I check into VWL for our first stay "home" in Oct, can we purchase 7 day Park Hopper Plus passes (you can't purchase them at DS, at least not were we are) and have them put onto our room keys along with charge privileges? Everything being on one card sounds great to me.
Thanks for the help!

Pass bought at check in time, can be put on to room keys. Passes bought at DS or through other means can not.

Yes, they will encode Hoppers on your room id at check-in. If you have a DC card- they will also apply the discount.

Enjoy!

lsutigger. Just a suggestion if you haven't thought of this already.... If you are going to be coming back in the next year you might want to purchase an annual pass. They pay for themselves if you will be staying at least 8 days. What we do is one year we come the last two weeks of October and then the following year we go the first two weeks of October on the same pass. So basically our second year is free!

Speaking of room keys, I think it's great how for security reasons, WDW doesn't show the room number anywhere on the key. Now I just have to figure how to stop forgetting my room number.

actually DVCDAVE prepurchased passes can be encoded on the room key. You hand it to the CM and they put it on your key.
Of course, you don't get the pass back. :)

GAIL; We had a differant experience. We bought 7 day Park Hopper Plus 4 passes last December before the price hike for our March 2001 trip. During 'check in' at BWV we asked the CM to put our passes on our room key, and he said he could NOT. We presisted, as we had heard on these boards that it was possible, and his supervisor came over and said it was NOT possible. We bought the passes here, from the affiliate of these boards. They were the little colorful slip type of passes.

I don't know what more to tell you, other than our experience was differant, why??? I don't know.

I guess it was, Dave. We have never had a problem at OKW.
Sometimes the different answers make you wonder.

In light of all the requests for pass discounts, maybe having a pass that is NOT on your room key is a better idea. I have read many posts that say Disney will not be motivated to provide better pass discounts until it sees that DVC members are decreasing their visits to the parks.

How does DVC know what members are spending and where they go? By what they charge to their room! Disney obviously can cross reference the DVC member list with that of AP/PAP passholders. But other than that, Disney can only track what DVC members charge to their room. So even though having passes on the room key is convenient, those who want better pass discounts (and don't buy AP or PAP) might be better off not buying tickets at check in or asking to have tickets coded on their room key. And maybe it would be better to charge meals in Disney restaurants directly to a credit card rather than to a DVC room. Inconvenient? Yes! Worth it if it leads to better discounts? Maybe. Just a thought.

I think it depends on the CM and how experienced they are. We stayed at GF 2 years ago and I wanted to buy a 5 day hopper for my niece at check-in, the CM told me I had to go to the guest services desk and could not get it on the key. After that I heard of alot of people saying they were able to do it.

Terry S,
Thanks for the suggestion, I would do that this year but because we're planning on the cruise next year and no parks :( I think the 7 day will do just fine. DH doesn't always go to the parks everyday - he's a golfer! So the unused days on his pass will be there when we go to the parks again.

Thanks to all others who replied also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter