Room request wording

crusoemom

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Hi All!

We're off to WDW again next spring with my parents. We'll be staying at Boardwalk again (we're DVC members). My mother uses a walker (polio as a child) full-time, and while at WDW uses her wheelchair when traveling more than a few hundred feet. She refuses to request a wheelchair-accessible room because the bathroom accomodations are actually worse for her than a standard bathroom accomodation - don't ask me why - it may be a sort of pride thing also - she's even more stubborn than I am...

Soooo... the last two times that we've been there, I've requested a room close to the elevators. As you probably know, the rooms at BWV can be a considerable distance from the elevator, and although she will have someone pushing her all of the time, it is helpful to all of us to not have to push her the length of the corriders after a long day at the parks. Our first time, we were given a room close to the elevators - maybe one or two rooms away from it (standard view). It was great, because she could take short trips to the lobby independently when she wanted to. Our second time, we were given a room that was just 2 doors from the very end of the corrider (standard view again, room 3005 or something like that). With two kids in strollers and my mother in a wheelchair, it was quite an experience. We didn't want the kids to know we were unhappy, so we made a joke of it, but I know my mother was somewhat upset to lose some of that independence.

So here's my question - how do I phrase my request for a room near the elevators so that the room coordinator will actually pay attention? As mentioned earlier, my mom really doesn't want a handicap-accessible room - just one close enough to the elevator to give her a little independence.

TIA!

Originally posted by crusoemom
Hi All!
So here's my question - how do I phrase my request for a room near the elevators so that the room coordinator will actually pay attention? As mentioned earlier, my mom really doesn't want a handicap-accessible room - just one close enough to the elevator to give her a little independence.

TIA!
You can say you need a room close to the elevator for Medical Reasons because of a mobility problem. Member Services handles the special needs requests for DVC members.

I agree with Sue. Ask for a room near the elevator for medical reasons. I am also a DVC member, but I stay at OKW. For OKW I request either a first floor room or an elevator building for medical reasons. I add that I do not need a handicapped room & I do not wish to take it away from someone who does need a handicapped room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter