Rope drop crowds at Hollywood Studios this week?

jar

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
I'd love to hear from someone about their experience with crowds at rope drop at DHS. The Disney app is posting 60-120 minute waits for all of the major attractions by 8:05am. Is that accurate and if not, what are the real waits looking like? Also, how much before 8am are they opening the rides? Thanks!

I'd love to hear from someone about their experience with crowds at rope drop at DHS. The Disney app is posting 60-120 minute waits for all of the major attractions by 8:05am. Is that accurate and if not, what are the real waits looking like? Also, how much before 8am are they opening the rides? Thanks!
The rides are opening at opening time, people are allowed through the tapstiles about 45 min before opening and are held at sunset, entrance to tsland and entrance to swge.
The Rise effect is creating heavy crowds at rope drop, so those wait times are close to accurate unless you're in the very front of the pack

Most people will be headed to toy story land and Galaxy’s edge. Someone on here told me if you want to do tower of terror and rock n roller coasters those are great at rope drop because most don’t start over there.

Most people will be headed to toy story land and Galaxy’s edge. Someone on here told me if you want to do tower of terror and rock n roller coasters those are great at rope drop because most don’t start over there.
Having done that exact scenario last week, I would adjust your statement to say that they crowd is LESS over there, but I wouldn't want to mislead by saying that the crowd is sparse. It is NOT. When tens of thousands are entering the parks by approx 8:00, it gluts EVERY line as those people hope and wait for their boarding pass to be called. It's an awful system for ROTR that effects even those who have no desire to participate in SWL. The ride is excellent, but the system for entry to the ride .....just awful.

we rope dropped hs three times last week (sdd, tot, sdd). galaxys edge, toy story land, sunset most crowded to least crowded. we were near the front of the line all three times. if you rd tot or rnrc there will probably be an hour wait for the other by the time you get off. if you are near the front on sdd you should be able to ride alien swirling saucers with little wait. tsmm will probably be an hour. they do hold the lines after 8am to let everyone try to get their rotr boarding group so you dont have to be trying to get that while walking

Anyone know what the lines to meet Toy story characters are like first thing in the morning? We have FP for all 3 TSL rides for last week of February, and will be with 2 kids (2 and 5) so I have no interest on ToT, RNRC or Star Wars stuff
Wondering if I should still fight the rope drop crowds or get there a little later if lines are crazy first thing in the morning...

Having done that exact scenario last week, I would adjust your statement to say that they crowd is LESS over there, but I wouldn't want to mislead by saying that the crowd is sparse. It is NOT. When tens of thousands are entering the parks by approx 8:00, it gluts EVERY line as those people hope and wait for their boarding pass to be called. It's an awful system for ROTR that effects even those who have no desire to participate in SWL. The ride is excellent, but the system for entry to the ride .....just awful.
Oh true! I also went when HS opened at 7am not 8 so I’m not sure if they impacted the crowds over there. There was a line for them but they hovered around 20 minutes for the first couple of hours. Then they went up to about 45

Here is our experience this week:

Sunday- went down sunset. I would say we were middle of the pack maybe closer to the front. RD Tot. Showed 30 minute wait as we entered @8:05 ish. Of course only half the ride was up and ended up being 55 minutes plus.
Today:

RD toy story land. Was ahead of the bend in the straightaway in line with the GET umbrella

8:03- started moving forward
8:06- walk on to TSM

we then hit Alien saucer with 10 minute wait. This wait was probably closer to 15 and was 40 by the time we got off.
We then FP SDD and headed to our BG

we are done with rides today due to the waits. Just hitting shows and then Olgas. Then back to the resort.

Here is our experience this week:

Sunday- went down sunset. I would say we were middle of the pack maybe closer to the front. RD Tot. Showed 30 minute wait as we entered @8:05 ish. Of course only half the ride was up and ended up being 55 minutes plus.
Today:

RD toy story land. Was ahead of the bend in the straightaway in line with the GET umbrella

8:03- started moving forward
8:06- walk on to TSM

we then hit Alien saucer with 10 minute wait. This wait was probably closer to 15 and was 40 by the time we got off.
We then FP SDD and headed to our BG

we are done with rides today due to the waits. Just hitting shows and then Olgas. Then back to the resort.
when we were at hs in the evenings we did have a lot of success with 4th+ FP for TOT. i was able to book fp+, scan in, and book another fp+ for TOT three times in a row. standby was 1-1.5 hours. we were able to get off the ride and get ride back on multiple times. i guess this was due to everything being tier 1 except star tours. so if you find yourself at hs in the evening and you have already used your fp for the day you might try that.

we did notice that if nothing shows up for tot until later in the night it was easier to schedule that and then modify the time. could usually get an immediate ride on it.

I know its close to president day weekend but wow these crowds are nuts.

Really hoping for EMM to be brought back at HS, even if it does not include RotR.

It was nuts on Friday. We got there at 6:50 for an 8am opening. RPed millennium falcon and weren’t off until 9:10. Basically every ride at the point had 1+ hour waits. TSMM was over 2 hours for a lot of the morning. There were no 4+ FPs for rides, only a few shows like frozen.

Waits did go down a bit in the evening but we were too exhausted to stay and enjoy them.

It was nuts on Friday. We got there at 6:50 for an 8am opening. RPed millennium falcon and weren’t off until 9:10. Basically every ride at the point had 1+ hour waits. TSMM was over 2 hours for a lot of the morning. There were no 4+ FPs for rides, only a few shows like frozen.

Waits did go down a bit in the evening but we were too exhausted to stay and enjoy them.

With MMRR opening...March 4th through till the end of Spring Break/Easter peak season HS will likely be even worse!!!

This is cementing my desire for 2 days at HS with LONG afternoon breaks for both of those days.

We are going March 14-21. We have APs and stating offsite, but I have been looking at the FP situation and there seem to be very few for any rides in the morning anymore. Most every FP I could see started at 3 except for shows. We originally were going to do 2 mornings and 1 afternoon at HS. We wanted 2 mornings to try to ride ROTR once, but I’m afraid going in the morning we will just be stuck in long lines. Maybe afternoon is better for rides other than ROTR and we should swap a morning for an afternoon... decisions

We are going March 14-21. We have APs and stating offsite, but I have been looking at the FP situation and there seem to be very few for any rides in the morning anymore. Most every FP I could see started at 3 except for shows. We originally were going to do 2 mornings and 1 afternoon at HS. We wanted 2 mornings to try to ride ROTR once, but I’m afraid going in the morning we will just be stuck in long lines. Maybe afternoon is better for rides other than ROTR and we should swap a morning for an afternoon... decisions

Maybe grab your ROTR boarding pass, rope drop one ride, and then park hop to Epcot?

My sister and mother in law were there last Friday. They tapped into their third FP by 10am and picked up RnR for 10:30am, then ToT for 11am, then TSMM for 11:45am. They then ate lunch and then picked up SDD for 2:20pm (but it was then down so it became an anytime FP) and then again another ToT. ToT was wide open all day. Plenty of Alien Saucers but they skipped it.

I know its close to president day weekend but wow these crowds are nuts.
So, I wasn't sure if your post around noon today was looking at ride times right then, but now it's 3:30 pm and HS wait times include the following:
  • TOT 15 mins 😲
  • ST 20 mins
  • AS2 25 mins
  • TSMM 45 mins
  • MFSR 50 mins
  • SDD 65 mins
  • RNR 70 mins
Not bad. I wonder if the morning crush results in ridiculous waits in the morning - maybe people then give up and hop or leave for a while? Now would be an ideal time to be there.

Unfortunately this is old information. Since RotR opened and guests MUST be in the park by opening to get a boarding group, there are so many people in the park at opening that all major rides develop big lines almost immediately. You used to be able to rope drop ToT, walk on, then get to RnRC with a short (10 minutes or less) line. Now, even if you're the first people on ToT, there is probably a 45-60 minute line at RnRC by the time you're off ToT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter