Rope drop doesn't happen at AK?

jsgrand0

DIS Veteran
We visited Animal Kingdom on Wednesday, July 17. We got there at 8:20, hoping to experience roe drop before running to Flight of Passage. However, when we got there, the park was already full of people, and the line for FoP was 60 minutes. It was NOT EMH either. What happened to rope drop???

We visited Animal Kingdom on Wednesday, July 17. We got there at 8:20, hoping to experience roe drop before running to Flight of Passage. However, when we got there, the park was already full of people, and the line for FoP was 60 minutes. It was NOT EMH either. What happened to rope drop???

I'm sorry you were unaware of the procedure at AK. What you experienced has been the normal way of opening AK for two years.

Just in case you haven't tried rope drop at HS, it's kind of the same thing. They open the park well before posted opening and hold everyone down toward Toy Story Land.

We were there on 7/15/19 for EMMH at 8am. They were scanning bands and tickets and letting onsite guests enter the left side entrance before park open. Any guests that were not staying onsite were directed to the right side of the entrance. I was unaware that this would happen but it was awesome. We had late morning FP to FOP so we Did Dinasour, Everest 2X, Checked in for SW flights, Navi and The Safari ride in the first 1.5 park hours.

Quick tip for AK and HS: at rope drop (or earlier, as it were), head AWAY from Pandora and Toy Story land. Head towards Dinosaur or Everest in AK and ToT/RRC in HS.

We were there on 7/15/19 for EMMH at 8am. They were scanning bands and tickets and letting onsite guests enter the left side entrance before park open. Any guests that were not staying onsite were directed to the right side of the entrance. I was unaware that this would happen but it was awesome. We had late morning FP to FOP so we Did Dinasour, Everest 2X, Checked in for SW flights, Navi and The Safari ride in the first 1.5 park hours.
This is good to hear. We will be there in 10 days and will RD on an EMH morning but will work our way around the park counter clockwise from Dino land since we have FP for FOP. When we've RD'd AK prior we always went with the herd towards Pandora. First time we ever got a FOP FP+ so we're hoping for some fun times in a not so busy part of AK.

Just to be sure I understand, at 8:20 on a 9:00 opening, people were already in line for FOP?, not just held on the bridge?

I’m not planning to rope drop FOP, so is arriving at 820 and heading to EE okay timing?

We have entered AK at 8:15 and 8:30 on 9am opening day, and held at the entrance to Pandora. About 10 minutes later, the crowd is walked to FoP. Genreally off FoP before the park officially opens. You just have to be there early enough to at the front of the line.
Its not uncommon, when the park opens, the line to FoP will be 60-90 minutes or more.

On 8/5 there is EMH at 8am. If we get there at 7, is there any chance we could ride FOP twice in a row?

I'm sorry you were unaware of the procedure at AK. What you experienced has been the normal way of opening AK for two years.

Just in case you haven't tried rope drop at HS, it's kind of the same thing. They open the park well before posted opening and hold everyone down toward Toy Story Land.

This is all great info; thank you! (Though, coming from the west coast, we've yet to make a single rope drop since we're already "off" on our time... so I doubt DH is going to be willing to try for even earlier!) :rotfl:

So to rope drop HS SDD when the early morning magic hours are happening I would need to arrive how early? o_O this is very odd.

So are you saying Navi and FOP open before the rest of the rides? If I want to ride Navi, could I get there early, ride that, and then still technically be back to rope drop the other side of the park?

I'm with the people wondering if this unadvertised early opening for Pandora and TSL holds for EMH days, too? So arrive at 7am for an 8am EMH?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter