Rope Drop FOP during Extra Magic Hours

Nikki G

Mouseketeer
I've been reading a lot about rope dropping FOP, but haven't seen a clear picture of what it looks like if you are going during EMH, only regular park opening. We are going to be there very end of April and planned to rope drop FOP during EMH, then try to hop to Navi River right after. I've read about rowdy crowds pushing their way through, rude people, etc. If we do this, what time should be plan to get to AK by for 8:00a opening? What time do they start letting people in? Does the ride start a little early, or do they stick with 8:00a pretty strictly? From what I gather, it seems that they let people through in stages through the park until you get to the actual ride queue. What have people's experiences been with this? Thanks!

We just did this - and IIRC getting to the park on a normal day (no extra hours) about 8:15-8:30, by the time we got thru security, etc. the line was already 2 hours. By the time we were off the ride, 3 hours later, the wait was 3.5. The line wrapped thru the whole area, everyone seemed ok. My biggest suggestion: there's no bathroom in the attraction, so don't drink too much while you wait. FWIW.

I've done FOP on an EMH morning twice recently. For an 8am opening, I'd suggest getting to the park by 7:00. When we went, they let us through the ticket tapstiles around 7:20/7:25. Follow the sea of humanity to the left where they will check magic bands for a resort stay (EMH eligibility). They'll stop you a little ways ahead until around 7:40 when they will lead everyone straight into the FOP line (except for the handful of people who will split off for NRJ). We rode FOP and were off before or right at 8:00. We then headed to NRJ and rode with maybe a 15 minute wait. As long as you can get to AK early, this is a great way to do both Pandora attractions with almost no wait.

We are going to be there very end of April and planned to rope drop FOP during EMH, then try to hop to Navi River right after.

By the end of April, you're getting close to this ride being open for an entire year. I would keep a look out here to see if things change by then. I don't expect the popularity of the ride to die down, but Disney could change how they handle opening for it.

Make your plan now to be there at 7:00 a.m., but ask this question again around Mar, beginning of April to see if anything is different.

We were there in mid-Oct. and I think the same strategy applies with EMH - get there early. The majority of people are heading to Pandora so the closer you are to the front of the line the better. We had a FP for FOP so wanted to ride Navi instead. That was walk on - 2x. FOP was already a long line but we were in the middle to back of the pack walking to Pandora. We did get on Navi before 8am.

Did this 2 weeks ago and we were at the park before 7am. We were close to the front the pack and were able to walk right on FoP and then Na'vi. We scanned our bands at 7:15 and were walked to the bridge and held for a few minutes before being led to Pandora. We were on and off FoP before 8am.

By the end of April, you're getting close to this ride being open for an entire year. I would keep a look out here to see if things change by then. I don't expect the popularity of the ride to die down, but Disney could change how they handle opening for it.

Make your plan now to be there at 7:00 a.m., but ask this question again around Mar, beginning of April to see if anything is different.

You will definitely see me posting again about this very issue as we get closer to the trip just to make sure it hasn't changed. We were at Disney a year ago and it seems that all the entry procedures are now totally different. Sure makes it harder to create my strategy.

I know someone posted a video of RD for FOP and it didn't look to me like anyone was pushing or running. Everyone was walking quickly and after they got to the bridge it looked pretty claustrophobic to me. I still haven't decided if we will do RD or wait until the end of the night. Our FP day is December 29 so I guess I'll wait until after then.

Keep checking FP+! My original plans were to rope drop but I scored a FP this morning for early December! I check everyday and at random times.
I know chances are small but you never know.

You should be there no later than 7AM. You never know what time they are going to open the gates and then when they are going to open the land. We went 2x over our Summer trip. Both times the gates opened early. However, they moved you forward in small stages. One time FOP started 30 minutes before park opening, the other right at opening. As for rude people, they will be there. They are going to get there 45 minutes after everyone and push whoever they wanted out of the way. It happened to us by a family of about 10 with granny pushing everyone out of the way and the rest following behind. After trying to push me one too many times and after a loud stern warning, guiding her into a wall with no where to go but into it was justice for the entire group. As they all tended to her, everyone they pushed their way through kept passing them by and not letting them push their way back in. They were still arguing with the CMs when we got off 20 minutes later.

We did this twice in October. Got to the park on the first bus from resort. There is no line at security they don't hold you up till you get to the tapstile. We were near the front both times. They opened the gates early around 7:15 then you have to scan your magic bands again to make sure you are a resort guest. The CM's walk you to the entrance of Pandora then let you in. There are people walking fast but I didn't see anyone pushing, possibly because I was near the front. The problem I have is the fact that the mass of people have to funnel down into a single line. Reminds me of the mass of people funneling into Mickeys Philharmagic. It was me and DH but I can see that this would be a problem with little ones or a big group of people. Would be hard to keep everyone together.

Was definately worth getting up and moving so early. After FOP the first time we rode Navi river with little wait. The best part is the rest of the park rides are walk on because everyone is in Pandora.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter