"Rope Drop" something to watch?

leannak

DIS Veteran
Rope Drop used to be an exciting part of the morning that people recommended being there just to see. Confetti or an announcement or something? I don't know. I heard Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom were fun ones to experience. I'm assuming that's not true since Covid, but curious if someone can confirm.

Thanks!

If you mean before covid, on my 2017 trip we got the MK fairly early and there was a small show that ended with a few fireworks being set off near the castle before we were all let in. It was a fun way to start the day. :) Hadn't been to any other parks that early, but I swear we got to AK right before they let us in once and there was no announcement or anything?

Unfortunately there are no more "shows" at rope drop. It is rather sad, as my favorite thing used to be the Magic Kingdom Welcome Show at the train station each morning. Even my kids remember when Epcot used to use a Test Track vehicle to drive a chosen family of the day over to the attraction at rope drop.

That being said, rope drop is still worth the investment in time. I honestly like it better the way they are doing it now, with letting you into the park early and letting you go directly to your attraction of choice to line up. I have always hated the "mob" policy in the mornings, it is so much nicer to just go where you want to go and let everyone get in a nice orderly line LOL!!!

We never get up that early on vacation to do something like 'rope drop' so often mentioned on here. I also imagine this huge mob scene with people pushing/shoving and running to be among the first in line at some ride. Not my idea of fun.

Yes, there was always a show on the train station at MK.
HS had a show in the streets as well before they let you enter the back of the park. EPCOT didn’t do anything really, and AK had something but don’t recall what it was. Point being…those were good times, We loved rope drop at MK….the welcome song just got us right in the feels

We were there in April. Arrived at every park about 45 minutes before official opening time (the time the parks really open). We didn't see any type of park opening show (like they used to have). Saw a few characters at MK at the train station, but that was it. Nothing like what used to happen.

The strategy is to move people into the parks as soon as they can arrive and avoid crowds clogging the entrance waiting for "rope drop."

I suspect this strategy will continue in the post-COVID era. After all, why create a logjam if you don't have to?

They could still have an opening show, but everything would already be open and you could decide if you want to watch the show or do an attraction.

The strategy is to move people into the parks as soon as they can arrive and avoid crowds clogging the entrance waiting for "rope drop."

I suspect this strategy will continue in the post-COVID era. After all, why create a logjam if you don't have to?

They could still have an opening show, but everything would already be open and you could decide if you want to watch the show or do an attraction.
Sadly this is most likely true. The glory days of rope drops are gone...

They did this pre Co-Vid as well. I remember getting to AK about an hour before official opening, waiting in a big crowd and then the gates opened for eveyone to enter at least 30 minutes early and the attractions were going.
The only one I don't recall that happening was MK, where you could enter Main Street and then wait at the hub for the opening show, then they let you into the lands. But, that was at the official opening time.

I saw a very cute and small “rope drop” between France and Morocco in 2019 at 11 when the opened up the showcase. They had confetti!

My most recent trip was in March 2021. And the main benefit of rope drop for us was Castle pics at sunrise. They are incredible and no one in the background because everyone ran to get in line for 7DMT.

Yes, there was always a show on the train station at MK.
HS had a show in the streets as well before they let you enter the back of the park. EPCOT didn’t do anything really, and AK had something but don’t recall what it was. Point being…those were good times, We loved rope drop at MK….the welcome song just got us right in the feels
The train station welcome show ended in Jan 2017 and was replaced by the castle show to allow for more room for people instead of crowding in that one tiny area in front of the park. I loved that train station welcome show though, that song was always stuck in my head.

The train station welcome show ended in Jan 2017 and was replaced by the castle show to allow for more room for people instead of crowding in that one tiny area in front of the park. I loved that train station welcome show though, that song was always stuck in my head.

It's not just about reducing crowding; it also means people can shop and get coffee before the park officially opens. It doesn't really reduce the crowds, just relocates them to the Hub...but it does mean more people get breakfast in the park while they're waiting instead of rushing right up Main Street and to their first ride.

Magic Kingdom had, BY FAR, the best opening show. The music, the "Mayor" of Main Street USA welcoming everyone from the train station, the dancers, then the characters come steaming in on the train, and finally the countdown and small fireworks/streamers.

The first time we experienced that opening show... that was when I realized how special WDW is. It's so sad they stopped it. Prior to covid they were already letting people into the parks and holding them at the hub. There was a small opening show, but NOTHING like it used to be. So glad we got to experience it in it's all it's glory.

Dan

It's not just about reducing crowding; it also means people can shop and get coffee before the park officially opens. It doesn't really reduce the crowds, just relocates them to the Hub...but it does mean more people get breakfast in the park while they're waiting instead of rushing right up Main Street and to their first ride.
Not reducing crowds, but giving them more room to spread out. There was not much room in front of the train station, there's a lot more room down Main St and in the hub.

Not reducing crowds, but giving them more room to spread out. There was not much room in front of the train station, there's a lot more room down Main St and in the hub.

I agree that the new method spreads the crowds but they literally had the opening show outside the Magic Kingdom for many decades. It worked fine to me and the show made the crowd congestion worth it.

Oh well, we’ll adjust but will always miss the show outside the park at opening. New guests won’t know what they’re missing so I guess that’s fine but it’s just another step in losing some of the Magic IMO.

Dan

Maybe they could have the show but still let people skirt around the sides if they prefer to go get coffee/breakfast and get in line waiting for rides to open.

It’s not that bad. Lol. We aren’t talking a Walmart on Black Friday scene. 😂
The year Toy Story Land opened, Hollywood studios actually was like that, because the way they were initially doing FP with only one toy story ride eligible, everyone wanted to rope drop the rides they couldn't get FP for. We got there super early and were at the very very front actually touching the rope. I'd estimate by the time they dropped the rope (which was a literal thing back then) were there were several thousand people behind us crammed in shoulder to shoulder-it was a sea of people all down the street as far as the eye could see. When they started moving everyone broke into a run, and a teenager literally vaulted off of our stroller, almost knocking it over with our child inside, my husband had to pick up our then-7 year olds because people were shoving them and we were actually scared they might get trampled. Came here and posted right away to warn others and half the people were skeptical and thought I was exaggerating, and half were like "yes, that happened to us too and it is a mad house and they need to so something before someone gets seriously hurt."

Every other park at rope drop was much more civilized. We did enjoy the castle show at MK but no more so than the other little castle shows they used to have throughout the day.

I really think rope drop is no big loss. It's so much easier to just arrive and go straight to whatever you want to ride--it spreads out the crowds instantaneously. Only downside is it is somewhat confusing what is open before official opening time and CMs won't give you a straight answer. Thank goodness for disboards.

One more thing to add: Disney has announced that sometime this year (likely closer to 50th anniversary) they are going to give on-site resort guests 30 minutes early access to all four parks, every day. I think that suggest to me rope drop is a thing of the past. It'll just be resort guests entering early, then everyone else waiting outside the park gates (or at MK, the hub like they used to do for EMH).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter