"Rope Drop" something to watch?

Magic Kingdom had, BY FAR, the best opening show. The music, the "Mayor" of Main Street USA welcoming everyone from the train station, the dancers, then the characters come steaming in on the train, and finally the countdown and small fireworks/streamers.

The first time we experienced that opening show... that was when I realized how special WDW is. It's so sad they stopped it. Prior to covid they were already letting people into the parks and holding them at the hub. There was a small opening show, but NOTHING like it used to be. So glad we got to experience it in it's all it's glory.

Dan

I miss this so much! Such an amazing way to start the day. I feel like it has been forever since we saw that train.

The year Toy Story Land opened, Hollywood studios actually was like that, because the way they were initially doing FP with only one toy story ride eligible, everyone wanted to rope drop the rides they couldn't get FP for. We got there super early and were at the very very front actually touching the rope. I'd estimate by the time they dropped the rope (which was a literal thing back then) were there were several thousand people behind us crammed in shoulder to shoulder-it was a sea of people all down the street as far as the eye could see. When they started moving everyone broke into a run, and a teenager literally vaulted off of our stroller, almost knocking it over with our child inside, my husband had to pick up our then-7 year olds because people were shoving them and we were actually scared they might get trampled. Came here and posted right away to warn others and half the people were skeptical and thought I was exaggerating, and half were like "yes, that happened to us too and it is a mad house and they need to so something before someone gets seriously hurt."

Every other park at rope drop was much more civilized. We did enjoy the castle show at MK but no more so than the other little castle shows they used to have throughout the day.

I really think rope drop is no big loss. It's so much easier to just arrive and go straight to whatever you want to ride--it spreads out the crowds instantaneously. Only downside is it is somewhat confusing what is open before official opening time and CMs won't give you a straight answer. Thank goodness for disboards.

One more thing to add: Disney has announced that sometime this year (likely closer to 50th anniversary) they are going to give on-site resort guests 30 minutes early access to all four parks, every day. I think that suggest to me rope drop is a thing of the past. It'll just be resort guests entering early, then everyone else waiting outside the park gates (or at MK, the hub like they used to do for EMH).
With only 30 minutes, I think it's likely they just will continue what they are doing now, only advertise it as a perk to Disney resort guests.

Most non-resort guests won't be able to get to attractions inside the parks until around the official opening by slightly delaying the opening of the parking lots and the transportation from the TTC to MK.

Magic Kingdom had, BY FAR, the best opening show. The music, the "Mayor" of Main Street USA welcoming everyone from the train station, the dancers, then the characters come steaming in on the train, and finally the countdown and small fireworks/streamers.

The first time we experienced that opening show... that was when I realized how special WDW is. It's so sad they stopped it. Prior to covid they were already letting people into the parks and holding them at the hub. There was a small opening show, but NOTHING like it used to be. So glad we got to experience it in it's all it's glory.

Dan

Wow! Thanks for that. I'd never seen the Rope Drop Welcome. I think it probably often had an impact on people helping them get into a kindness mood.

Wow! Thanks for that. I'd never seen the Rope Drop Welcome. I think it probably often had an impact on people helping them get into a kindness mood.

It absolutely did. It really set the mood and tone for the morning. It was the beginning of the awe and wonder especially for those experiencing it for the first time. I know it was something my family will never forget.

Dan

It absolutely did. It really set the mood and tone for the morning. It was the beginning of the awe and wonder especially for those experiencing it for the first time. I know it was something my family will never forget.

Dan
I do love the welcome show that replaced it, having the castle as the backdrop is special. But I do still miss the train.

Dan
I loved this opening show! It always lifted my spirits and got me pumped up for the day. I forgot which year it was that they were highlighting the Villains at MK, but they took part in the morning show also and they truly hammed it up - like pretending to be bored/annoyed with the countdown.

Sometimes I wake up my kids with the MK good morning song on full blast. For some reason, they don't seem to enjoy it as much as I do.

it looks like early reports may have been incorrect. They did rope drop this morning at Epcot... held everybody up in front of guest relations. I'm guessing the let people in as they show up is going to go by the wayside. I actually really liked this as it really boosted the advantage of getting there early, even though it was getting ridiculously early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter