Rope Drop Strategy for Disneyland and Disney California Adventure with Lightning Lanes and Individual Lightning Lanes

DLRExpert

and WDWExpert?
UPDATED 6/13
This covers both a Early Entry (EE) and Non-EE plan.

The HUB (Rope Drop Area)
AL= Adventureland
GF= Galaxy's Edge and Frontierland
FL= Fantasyland
FTL= Fantasyland and Tomorrowland
EE= Early Entry path
Screenshot_20220827-075233_Gallery.jpg

Park Entrance for Early Entry
THERE IS NO
EE entrance
MAKE SURE that if you are attending EE that you show up to the main entrances early. They are allowing both EE Disney hotel guests and Normal guests into the park at the same time. If you arrive late you are going to be far back in line. Ruining your 30 minutes of EE time.

SPECIAL NOTE - Disneyland and EE

The amount of EE guests at all attractions is quite low at the official park opening.
So if you are not a EE guest and you are close to the rope, you should be able to still get on Pan rather quickly.
Same goes with a non-EE guest and Space Mountain as the first attraction.
If non-EE guests are far back from rope then follow the plans listed.

Disneyland:
Fantasyland Plan (with Early Entry)

7am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disneyland. You need to arrive early as regular guests and EE entry guests are allowed into the park at the same time. If you are later than 7am the line and wait to get in can eat into your 30 minute EE time.
Note: At normal walking speed and security check points it takes about 5-35 minutes to get from Disney Hotels (depends on hotel).
730am-740am: Head down Main Street and make Peter Pan your first choice.
Note: While in line purchase your Genie+, and IMMEDIATELY book LL for Indiana Jones Adventure. You are not planning to use a LL for IJA but FISHING for a Multiple Experience Pass if IJA is closed during the early return window. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
740am-8am: Second ride will be Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo next as park is about to open.
8am-820am: Next Mr. Toad, Snow White, and now Pinocchio.
820am-9am: Head to Toontown and ride Gadgets Go Coaster first, then Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, close with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.
9am-930am: Ride the Jungle Cruise
Note: Book your first LL, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, you are looking for a return time after 1030am.
930am-1030am: Ride Pirates, then the Haunted Mansion, close with Winnie the Pooh.
After 1030am you are going to use the LL for Falcon, and then ILL for Rise. Mix in Lightning Lane attractions with non-LL attractions.
REMEMBER get your next LL as soon as you scan your current LL ticket. You can use your LL 5 minutes before and up 15 minute after your posted return time.

EE Rise of the Resistance Plan

There is a Rope Drop (Gate) area that the EE guests will gather so that they have a slight head start on the Rope Drop guests coming from Frontierland.
If Rise of the Resistance at park opening is a priority, you want to line up at this gate as close to 750am as you can.
6A63597C-F85B-491D-91C0-C4F2C586C4EF.jpeg
The two main attractions you want to experience are Peter Pan and Space Mountain.
- If you are using LL then Pan should be your primary EE attraction and then stay in Fantasyland until it is close to 750am.
- If you are into thrill rides or just want a chance to ride Space without and with LL, then ride Space first during EE.
- While experiencing both attractions is doable, it is going to cut things close depending on when you enter the park and the EE wait for Pan or Space. For example, if you get into the park at 740am, you probably have time for one attraction before you line up for Rise.
- Note that it is common for Rise to not be open when the park opens.

The Plan with Rise...
8am-830am: When gate opens head to Rise of the Resistance. If closed at opening, I would stay in the area for a short while, to see if it opens up by 815am.
830am-9am: Ride Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run.
Note: Grab LL for Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin
9am-930am: Head to Toontown and ride Gadgets Go Coaster first, then Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.
Note: second LL, Indiana Jones Adventure
930am-11am: Ride Pirates, then the Haunted Mansion, close with Winnie the Pooh. Use LL for IJA.

Fantasyland Plan (without Early Entry)
730am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disneyland.
Note: It takes about 20-30 minutes to get from Disney parking areas to the main entrance (Disney parking areas open an hour before park opening).
730am-745am: They will start to let guests into Main Street between this time. The goal is get as close to the rope as you can. There is a left, middle, and right of the hub rope area. I usually choose the Tomorrowland side as the Frontierland side can be crowded due to guests going to Rise of the Resistance.
Note: While settled and waiting rope drop purchase your Genie+, and IMMEDIATELY book LL for Indiana Jones Adventure. You are not planning to use a LL for IJA but FISHING for a Multiple Experience Pass if IJA is closed during the early return window. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
8am-810am: Once the rope drops walk to the right side of the castle and follow the path towards the Matterhorn but stay to your left and ride Alice in Wonderland first.
810am-830am: Second ride will be Dumbo, then Mr. Toad, finally choose between Snow White or Pinocchio. GOAL is to be out of Fantasyland before 835am.
830am-915am: Head to Toontown and ride Gadgets Go Coaster first, then Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, close with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.
915am-945am: Ride the Jungle Cruise
Note: Book your first LL, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, you are looking for a return time after 11am.
945am-11am: Ride Pirates, then the Haunted Mansion, close with Winnie the Pooh.
After 11am you are going to use the LL for Falcon, and then ILL for Rise. Mix in Lightning Lane attractions with non-LL attractions.

REMEMBER get your next LL as soon as you scan your current LL ticket. You can use your LL 5 minutes before and up 15 minute after your posted return time.

Thrill Ride Plan aka Experiencing Top LL attractions more than once (with Early Entry)

7am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disneyland.
Note: At normal walking speed and security check points it takes about 5-35 minutes to get from Disney Hotels (depends on hotel).
730am-740am: Head down Main Street and make Space Mountain your first choice.
Note: While in line purchase your Genie+, and IMMEDIATELY book LL for Indiana Jones Adventure. You are not planning to use a LL for IJA but FISHING for a Multiple Experience Pass if IJA is closed during the early return window. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
740am-8am: Second ride is kind of up to you. I would recommend Astro Orbitor, Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters, Alice in Wonderland or Dumbo. The GOAL is to be move to the Matterhorn by park opening
8am-815am: Park opens ride the Matterhorn, can even do it twice on both sides if available.
815am-835am: Ride Big Thunder Mountain, then Indiana Jones Adventure
835am-945am: Ride the Jungle Cruise, then Pirates of the Caribbean
Note: Book your first LL, Haunted Mansion Holiday, you are looking for a return time after 10am.
945am-1015am: Ride Winnie the Pooh use LL for Haunted Mansion Holiday.
Note: Book LL for Falcon next.
After 10am you are going to use the LL for Falcon, and then ILL for Rise. Mix in Lightning Lane attractions with non-LL attractions.

Thrill Ride Plan aka Experiencing Top LL attractions more than once (without Early Entry)
Space Mountain first (RECOMMENDED)

Note: It takes about 20-30 minutes to get from Disney parking areas to the main entrance (Disney parking areas open an hour before park opening).
730am-745am: They will start to let guests into Main Street between this time. The goal is get as close to the rope as you can. Go to the rope closest to the Tomorrowland Entrance.
Note: While settled and waiting rope drop purchase your Genie+, and IMMEDIATELY book LL for Indiana Jones Adventure. You are not planning to use a LL for IJA but FISHING for a Multiple Experience Pass if IJA is closed during the early return window. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
8am-820am: Once the rope drops walk briskly through Tomorrowland to Space Mountain.
815am-830am: Next ride the Matterhorn.
830am-9am: Ride Big Thunder Mountain, then Indiana Jones Adventure.
Note: Book your first LL, for Falcon, you are looking for a return time after 10am.
9am-945am: Ride Pirates of the Caribbean
945am-1015am: Ride Winnie the Pooh use LL for Haunted Mansion Holiday.
Note: Book LL for Falcon next.

Indiana Jones Adventure first
730am-745am: They will start to let guests into Main Street between this time. The goal is get as close to the rope as you can. Go to the rope closest to the Adventureland Entrance.
Note: Once settled near the rope, purchase Genie+ on the Disneyland App. No need to get a Lightning Lane at this time. Keep an eye out for a return time for Rise of the Resistance after 11am.
8am-815am: Once the rope drops walk briskly through Adventureland to the Indiana Jones Adventure.
815am-830am: Next ride Big Thunder Mountain.
830am-930am: Ride the Matterhorn and then Space Mountain.
Note: Space Mountain will probably have a 30-40 minute wait
Note2: Book your first LL, Haunted Mansion Holiday, you are looking for a return time after 10am.

930am-10am: Ride Pirates of the Caribbean
Note: REMEMBER to keep an eye on that Rise of the Resistance ILL return time, again you want a return time after 11am (aka after lunch)

Lightning Lane Tiers
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- Space Mountain
- Matterhorn
- Big Thunder Mountain
- Haunted Mansion (If Mansion Holiday season that moves to #3 or #4)
- Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run (try to get a LL return time around the same time as your ROTR ILL return time)
- Star Tours
- Autopia
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- It's a Small World (If Holiday version this moves to #5 or #6)

SPECIAL NOTE about the plans above

- This plan also works if you arrive after ROPE DROP. For example, say you arrive at Disneyland just before 850am. Skip everything listed before 9am and start at what is listed for 9am. So that would be the Jungle Cruise and Pirates.

Modifying Lightning Lane - REFRESH TRICK
Always book a LL ASAP to start the 2 hours window and use the Modify option when Refreshing the app for a different return time on any LL attraction.
Example
- After you select a LL attraction go to the Tip Board and select the 3 dots next to the return time shown. Select Modify.
- You will then be taken to the Modify screen. You can refresh this screen (pull down on the screen) to possibly change the return time for the LL you are holding or modify it to the attraction you want to experience instead.
- Recommendation: List a couple of attractions as priority on your tip board so when you go the Modify Screen those priority attractions will be listed near the top.

PLEASE be sure to CANCEL any LLs you may not be using as it may help other guests that are doing the LL refresh trick.

Rise of the Resistance Stand By

- The Stand By line for this attraction does lower and rise throughout the day. The issue is when guests see that the line at 60 minutes or less they head to the attraction which will raise the wait time. So the trick and with a bit of luck it is better to get in line for the attraction when it is slightly higher than 60 minutes. I have done this attraction twice at a posted 75 or 70 minute wait time and the wait was 60-50 minutes.
- My go to time is after 6pm, as people are having dinner and have already ridden the attraction. The issue here is that the attraction closes around 8pm or 9pm. If the ride breaks down, they may force you out of the line and close the attraction for the day.

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway Stand By
- The Individual Lightning Lane is not needed for this attraction. The waits are heavily inflated. A 40 minute wait shown on the app can easily be a 20-30 minute wait in reality. Once you enter the theater lobby you are looking at 20-30 minutes from there.
- The best times to get in line for this attraction is before 915am, during lunch/dinner time, and after the firework show.

Park Opening Attraction Closures
Wait times and temp closures do not show up until park opening, but can be delayed as you may see a - instead of a time or temp closure text.
However, most of the time, if there is a park opening closure it is due to the attraction not being signed off on time of the park opening. If you see the vehicles cycling, it may be best to stay near the attraction and wait for it to open up.
For example, you get to Peter Pan and the CM says that it is closed and they do not know when it will be open. Yet you see that the vehicles are cycling through. Ignore the CM and stay near the entrance of the queue. Give it 5-10 minutes (the time you would have probably waited anyways) and see if the line opens up. 90% of the time it will open up rather quickly

Last edited:
UPDATED 6/20
This covers both a Early Entry (EE) and Non-EE plan.

Park Entrance for Early Entry
THERE IS NO
EE entrance
MAKE SURE that if you are attending EE that you show up to the main entrances early. They are letting both EE hotel guests and Normal guests into the park at the same time. If you arrive late you are going to be far back in line. Ruining your 30 minutes of EE time.

SPECIAL NOTE - DCA and EE

The amount of EE guests at all attractions is quite low at the official park opening.
So if you are not a EE guest and you are close to the rope, you should be able to still get on Web Slingers rather quickly. For Racers you have to be near the rope drop rope.

Disney California Adventure:

Experience Everything Once Plan (with Early Entry)

7am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disney California Adventure.
730am-750am: Early Entry will start, head down Buena Vista Street to Avengers Campus and make Web Slingers or Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout your first choice. Choose the one that you may want to ride twice during your visit.
Note: Grab a Lightning Lane for Toy Story Midway Mania and fish for a MEP pass. No Rush for the Radiator Springs Racers ILL.
NOTE 2: Depending on when you get off Web Slingers or Guardians determines what to do next. If off the ride by 740am, go ahead and add Mater's Junkyard Jamboree or Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters. The GOAL is to be in line for Racers by 750am. Most of the time WS and Guardians will take to long and you need to get in line for Racers.

8am-845am: Once the park opens, ride Radiator Springs Racers then Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters., followed by Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.
845am Head to Pixar Pier.
850am-915am: Ride Toy Story Midway Mania, then Incredicoaster, Jessie's Carousel.
Note: If you do not use your LL for Toy Story or Incredicoaster. The next LL should be for Web Slingers or Guardians.
915am-1030am: Ride Pal Around, then Inside Out, followed by Goofy's Sky School, Jumping Jellyfish, Symphony Swings, Golden Zephyr
1030am Little Mermaid Adventure. Everything else is a Lightning Lane.

Experience Everything Once Plan (without Early Entry)

730am: Arrive at the main entrance to Disney California Adventure.
They will start to let guests into Buena Vista Street between this time.
Note: Grab a Lightning Lane for Toy Story Midway Mania and fish for a MEP pass. No Rush for the Radiator Springs Racers ILL.
8am-830am: Once the rope drops head to Cars Land and ride Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and then Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters.
830am Head to Pixar Pier.
835am-9am: Ride Toy Story Midway Mania, then Incredicoaster, Jessie's Carousel.
Note: If you do not use your LL for Toy Story or Incredicoaster. The next LL should be for Web Slingers or Guardians.
9am-10am: Ride Pal Around, then Inside Out, followed by Goofy's Sky School, Jumping Jellyfish, Symphony Swings, Golden Zephyr
10am-1030am Little Mermaid Adventure and then Grizzly River Run. Everything else is a Lightning Lane.

Lightning Lane Order

- Web Slingers
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout (After Dark makes this #1 and #2)
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Soarin Around the World
- Grizzly River Run
- Incredicoaster
- Goofy's Sky School
- Monsters Inc

Lightning Lane - REFRESH TRICK
This works on Android and iPhone (iOS)

- Select the circle + at the bottom navigation bar
- Select View Genie Day and Tip Board
- Select Tip Board at the Top of the Screen
- Select Edit Selections to the LL or ILL Attraction you want most. For example, I select the ILL (say Rise) and the top 2 LL attractions I want to experience. This way those LL and ILL selections are at the top of the Tip Board screen. As I start to either buy ILL or use LL, I will remove the attraction from the Edit Selection and add another LL attraction. You are basically trying to keep your LL at the top of the Tip Board so you do not have to scroll down.
- If a LL or ILL return time does not meet the earlier time you need or want, PULL DOWN on this screen to refresh.
- HOWEVER, if a ILL is sold out, it is RARE that you will see it come back at all.
Example LL Refresh Trick Scenario
- Got a Guardians LL for 1pm-2pm, was ready to get in line at 1pm.
- The next LL attractions that interested me were Monsters Inc and Soarin (top priority). So I put those two at the top of the Tip Board via Edit Selections.
- I scanned the Guardians LL and went to the app for my next LL. Monsters was an hour out, Soarin was two hours out.
- I refreshed multiple times to see if I can get an earlier time. After the 6th refresh, Monsters came down to 130pm, Soarin was still two hours away, So I went with Monsters.
- I get off Guardians, go to Monsters and scan my LL in.
- Now I remove Monsters from my Edit Selections and add Grizzly with Soarin.
- I refresh a few time and now Soarin is at 2pm and Grizzly is ride now. I select Soarin.
and then remove it from my Edit Selections.
- As soon as I scan LL for Soarin I get Grizzly which is a ride now. Get off Soarin, go to Grizzly.
PLEASE be sure to CANCEL any LLs you may not be using as it may help other guests that are doing the LL refresh trick.

SPECIAL NOTE about the plans above

- This plan also works if you arrive after ROPE DROP. For example, say you arrive at Disney California Adventure just before 9am. Skip everything listed before 9am and start at what is listed for 9am. So that would be the Incredicoaster or Toy Story Midway Mania.

Park Opening Attraction Closures
Wait times and temp closures do not show up until park opening, but can be delayed as you may see a - instead of a time or temp closure text.
However, most of the time, if there is a park opening closure it is due to the attraction not being signed off on time of the park opening. If you see the vehicles cycling, it may be best to stay near the attraction and wait for it to open up.
For example, you get to Peter Pan and the CM says that it is closed and they do not know when it will be open. Yet you see that the vehicles are cycling through. Ignore the CM and stay near the entrance of the queue. Give it 5-10 minutes (the time you would have probably waited anyways) and see if the line opens up. 90% of the time it will open up rather quickly

Last edited:
Park Hopping: Updated 9/12

If you plan on Park Hopping and want to experience what both parks have to offer in one day then Genie+ (G+) for Lightning Lane (LL) and Individual Lightning Lane (ILL) is a MUST BUY.

The Individual Lightning Lane dilemma when Park Hopping
The issue is you can only purchase ILL for two attractions per day (there are three Rise at DL, WS, and Racers). In my opinion, I rather wait and go later on in the day for Rise using Stand By. However, if you can do Single Rider, I would use SR on Racers and use the ILL purchases for WS, and Rise. Even better if you can SR both WS and Racers.

Which park to start at?
In my opinion the better option is to start at Disneyland. DL has more top-tier non-LL attractions compared to DCA and is usually open later.

Can you see everything?
Short answer, NO. There is not enough time in the day to do it all. The below plans will help you see the most popular attractions and you fill in the rest as time allows.

Your day will be long
Be ready and well rested. if you follow this plan your day will be very long and one heck of a workout.

Disneyland Start (non-EE using ILL for WS and Racers)
Fantasyland Plan

730am-745am: They will start to let guests into Main Street between this time. The goal is get as close to the rope as you can. There is a left, middle, and right of the hub rope area. I usually choose the Tomorrowland side as the Frontierland side can be crowded due to guests going to Rise of the Resistance.
Note: Once settled near the rope, purchase Genie+ on the Disneyland App. Grab a LL Indiana Jones, then purchase a ILL for WS, then a ILL for Racers.
8am-815am: Once the rope drops walk briskly on the right side of the castle and towards the Matterhorn and ride Alice in Wonderland first
815am-830am: Dumbo and then Mr. Toad. Your goal is to be out of Fantasyland by 830am and walking towards the back of Frontierland and Big Thunder Mountain.
830am-930am: Ride Big Thunder Mountain, Use LL for Indiana Jones, then Pirates of the Caribbean.
Book your LL for Haunted Mansion Holiday
Note: You have to knock out a couple of LL attractions using Stand By because time may be limited later on.
930am-10am: Use LL and ride Haunted Mansion.
Book your LL for 1pm Guardians
AS SOON AS YOU USE SCAN THE Haunted Mansion LL start collecting for DCA. Remember you have 2 LL and ILL to use between 1pm and 2pm. So you want something at around 1pm.
The recommended LL order for DCA is...
Guardians (which you already have)
TSMM or Incredicoaster (whichever gives you a quick return time first)
Soarin Around the World

Goofy's Sky School
Grizzly River Run

Monsters Inc
11am-1230pm: Now you want to waste time until 1230pm, the time you will start heading over to DCA. HIGHLY RECOMMEND an early Lunch before you head to DCA.
REMEMBER to book your ILLs for Web Slingers and Radiator Springs Racers.
1pm: You Enter DCA.
1pm-215pm: Choose between LL for Guardians and ILL for Web Slingers
Note REMEMBER you can use the LL or ILL 5 minutes before or 15 minute after the posted time to scan your LL or ILL barcode. If you are cutting it close use ILL for WS, you can always cancel Guardians if you have too.
230pm-5pm: Now you should be heading to use LL for either Toy Story Midway Mania or Incredicoaster. It is all about which attraction that gives you the quickest return time. You are looking for a LL at 230pm-330pm Try to stay in the surrounding areas so there is not a lot of back and forth,, but sometimes you may not be able to help it. Mix in Stand By only attractions as you wait to use LLs.
5pm-6pm: You should be finishing up DCA by 5pm. This is when you start collecting LL for when you go back to Disneyland. Try to get in line for Rise by 6pm (attraction closes between 8pm or 9pm, check the app). While in line for Rise you can start collecting for LL passes. USE THE REFRESH TRICK (see below for info on that)

Lightning Lane - REFRESH TRICK
This works on Android and iPhone (iOS)

- Select the circle + at the bottom navigation bar
- Select View Genie Day and Tip Board
- Select Tip Board at the Top of the Screen
- Select Edit Selections to the LL or ILL Attraction you want most. For example, I select the ILL (say Rise) and the top 2 LL attractions I want to experience. This way those LL and ILL selections are at the top of the Tip Board screen. As I start to either buy ILL or use LL, I will remove the attraction from the Edit Selection and add another LL attraction. You are basically trying to keep your LL at the top of the Tip Board so you do not have to scroll down.
- If a LL or ILL return time does not meet the earlier time you need or want, PULL DOWN on this screen to refresh.
- HOWEVER, if a ILL is sold out, it is RARE that you will see it come back at all.
Example LL Refresh Trick Scenario
- Got a Guardians LL for 1pm-2pm, was ready to get in line at 1pm.
- The next LL attractions that interested me were Monsters Inc and Soarin (top priority). So I put those two at the top of the Tip Board via Edit Selections.
- I scanned the Guardians LL and went to the app for my next LL. Monsters was an hour out, Soarin was two hours out.
- I refreshed multiple times to see if I can get an earlier time. After the 6th refresh, Monsters came down to 130pm, Soarin was still two hours away, So I went with Monsters.
- I get off Guardians, go to Monsters and scan my LL in.
- Now I remove Monsters from my Edit Selections and add Grizzly with Soarin.
- I refresh a few time and now Soarin is at 2pm and Grizzly is ride now. I select Soarin.
and then remove it from my Edit Selections.
- As soon as I scan LL for Soarin I get Grizzly which is a ride now. Get off Soarin, go to Grizzly.

Disney California Adventure Start (non-EE using ILL for WS/Racers and Rise)

First you need to decide which DCA ILL you are going to purchase. It will either be Web Slingers, or Racers. Whichever one you choose, the other is the attraction you will rope drop. My preference is Rope Drop Web Slingers and purchase the ILL for Racers and then Rise. you will get a ILL for Rise for after 1pm (keep an eye on the app for that return time).
Note: No need to buy the ILL for Racers right away. You want a Racers return time of 11am-12pm.
730am: Arrive at the entrance to DCA, once inside book your first LL attraction for Guardians (should be a rather quick return time).
8am-845am: When the rope drops, head to Web Slingers first, then use LL for Guardians. after you scan the LL for Guardians get a LL for Incredicoaster. Head to Pixar Pier.
850am-930am: Ride Toy Story Midway, ride Jessies Carousel, use LL for Incredicoaster, book LL for Soarin, ride Pal Around, while in line buy ILL for Racers, return should be around 11am-12pm
930am- 10am: Goofy's Sky School, smaller rides in the area, just ride Little Mermaid by 10am.
10am-1130am: Grizzly River Run, use LL for Soarin, book for Monsters Inc., use LL for Monsters inc., book first Disneyland LL, I would choose either Indy or Space ( I choose the earlier return time). use ILL for Racers. REMEMBER to book that ILL for Rise for after 2pm.
12pm: Lunch before heading over to Disneyland

Last edited:

Great plan thank you. What crowd level are you recommending this for?
It works for any crowd level,
BUT
If it is raining or a cold weekday you could probably get through the parks without any type of Genie+ purchase.

Either way I would recommend holding off on any Genie+ purchases until you're in the park so you can see how busy it actually is.

UPDATE : BOOK YOUR GENIE+LL when you purchase your tickets to save money from a possible variable pricing increase.

Last edited:

I don’t see a ROTR first plan. Am I missing it?
I don't recommend doing Rise first.
Reasons
1) You can finish a lot of attractions before you even get on Rise.
2) Rise tends to have a delay opening at rope drop.
3) You can get in the stand by line later in the day and the wait will be the same or less than going to the attraction at rope drop.
4) You can purchase the ILL the topic of the post.

The only time I would recommend Rise at Rope Drop is if your time is limited and you can be near the front of the rope at Rope Drop.

If my opinion changes, I will update the original post.

Reasons
3) You can get in the stand by line later in the day and the wait will be the same or less than going to the attraction at rope drop.

The only time I would recommend Rise at Rope Drop is if your time is limited and you can be near the front of the rope at Rope Drop.

Yeah but I want to do Rise first AND in the middle of the day AND as an individual LL. I’m always at the very front for RD, I’m just trying to figure out where exactly I need to go and how early I need to arrive

Reasons

Wonderful post - thank you!

Do you have the same opinion on Webslingers? (i.e. do everything else instead and ride Web standby in the middle of the day)

Yeah but I want to do Rise first AND in the middle of the day AND as an individual LL. I’m always at the very front for RD, I’m just trying to figure out where exactly I need to go and how early I need to arrive
At this time I know that they start the line for Rise in Frontierland. So I would Rope Drop in the area closest to Frontierland.

Wonderful post - thank you!

Do you have the same opinion on Webslingers? (i.e. do everything else instead and ride Web standby in the middle of the day)
It depends how important Web Slingers is to you.
Are you buying an ILL?
Are you okay with only riding it once?
Is riding Racers more important?
How long are you going to be in the park?

Last edited:
It depends how important Web Slingers is to you.
Are you buying an ILL?
Are you okay with only riding it once?
Is riding Racers more important?
How long are you going to be in the park?

2 days in the parks (with hopper). Web Slingers would be my daughter's #1 priority in the parks, though we'd be okay with riding it just once. I wouldn't like it, but wold probably be okay with paying $7 each to ride if we had to.

2 days in the parks (with hopper). Web Slingers would be my daughter's #1 priority in the parks, though we'd be okay with riding it just once. I wouldn't like it, but wold probably be okay with paying $7 each to ride if we had to.
2 days in the parks not sure how much time that is for DCA.
If you are at Rope Drop and you are near the front you can get through WS rather quickly. Just know that this will have impact on your wait for Racers and possibly other attractions later.
As far as I am seeing the ILL seems to last most of the day. You can always see what the wait time is like and then buy the ILL if the wait time is longer than you are willing to wait.

We bought the SoCal Resident 3 day ticket and our first use will be Jan 21. We already bought Genie+ and are willing to purchase whatever ILL we need to.

We‘re park hopping and starting in DL.

Can we purchase ILL for CA rides while we’re physically in DL park before we’ve hopped over?

Do they still have the Single Rider line for Radiator Springs Racers?

Thank you so much for this! We followed fantasy land and california adventure plan and this worked great. We did do indie before haunted mansion because return times were further out. We have two days left in our trip and can take it easy since we've done everything multiple times!

Thank you so much for this! We followed fantasy land and california adventure plan and this worked great. We did do indie before haunted mansion because return times were further out. We have two days left in our trip and can take it easy since we've done everything multiple times!
Thank you for sharing your experience. I love knowing that it is helping others.

Just completed 4 park days (with hopper). Genie+/ILL was not necessary. If you rope drop (ie get to parks at 7:40am). You can do 5-6 (maybe more) attractions by 10:30 with limited wait times. Parks fill up by 10:30-11am but you still have 10hours of park time.

We rode RotR, Web slingers, RSR each day twice a day.

Personally, I would not spend $20/per to ride Rotr bc of its unreliability. Twice we were evacuated and given LL passes to return later. Folks who paid $20 were MAD. The ride shuts the line down @ 8pm. If you choose to pay, do it earlier in the day so if/when it goes down you have time to come back. The ride is worth the wait or $$ but it is down a lot.

Consider Touring Plans over Genie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter