Rope drop to park close...is it doable or nuts?

riversend22

Mouseketeer
Hey all! So hubby and I are taking a short anniversary trip to Florida mid August (18-23) and we had to include Disney into our trip! We are going to HS one day and AK another (along with IoA at Universal for one day). We are in our mid 30s and attempting to get back into shape lol. We used to visit a lot before we had kids and would do the parks open to close every day of a 10 day vacation. It was so tiring, but that's how we liked it. With this being a short trip, I'm wanting to attack the parks like we used to...starting at rope drop and staying until park close. We haven't been to these two parks in many years so there are a ton of new things we want to see. So here's my question: is being at the park from open to close completely nuts? I'm a bit concerned that we will run ourselves into the ground. So I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this recently with all of the lines and current changes. Is it possible? Do you regret it? Did you fair ok? We are staying offsite, so a midday break is not a possibility. The hours for AK will be 8-7 (Sun) and HS will be 9-9 (Thurs). Thanks!

We were there the first week of July and we never would have been able to make it all day without a mid-day break. Those long lines in the sun, even with a UV umbrella, are no joke. We’ve been able to do open to close in February, but it’s much cooler then and I think the weather makes all the difference. That said, do you have any interest in having a sit down meal in the middle of the day in an air conditioned restaurant? That may be sufficient. Not sure if you can get a ressie now for those dates, but I think it’s worth a try. Also, ducking into stores during rain storms may give a much-needed break.

Maybe take the middle of the day to visit a nearby resort for some lunch and some AC. You can just unwind in the lobby for a few too. We do RD to close all the time (including our most recent post covid opening trip) but we’re not there in the summer heat, not sure I could go it then.

In August… with no fastpass… sorry to say I do think that is going to be miserable.

I think it depends on how you plan to spend your time in the parks. If you want to maximize ride time and don't plan to take any longer breaks, I think the August heat will do you in. However, if you take a nice lunch break in AC for an hour or so and spend some time shopping, I think it's doable and could even be fun despite the higher temps.

I'm headed next week so I don't have specific information...but one thing to consider is, with wait times being so much longer, you can expect to walk less, stand more. I'm 15 years older than you, overweight, and not in shape. All of my trips (August or Sept) have been planned as 10 day rope drop to park closing and I was tired, but happy. If you need a break, take it. But to limit your park time because you might get tired seems like a waste of park time to me. You can do it...and if you do get too tired, well, you don't have to fight through it for the sake of the kids.

I have never understood the midday breaks. It takes at least an hour to walk out of the parks, wait for transportation, walk back to the room and then another hour at least to do it in reverse...and then there is the time for the actually rest. So much time. I'd rather cut the day short, or start late, not interrupt the day. Once my kids were old enough to skip naps, I stopped with the time suck of the midday break.

However, I'm pretty sure I am in the minority. Lots of people will advise the midday break.

Hey all! So hubby and I are taking a short anniversary trip to Florida mid August (18-23) and we had to include Disney into our trip! We are going to HS one day and AK another (along with IoA at Universal for one day). We are in our mid 30s and attempting to get back into shape lol. We used to visit a lot before we had kids and would do the parks open to close every day of a 10 day vacation. It was so tiring, but that's how we liked it. With this being a short trip, I'm wanting to attack the parks like we used to...starting at rope drop and staying until park close. We haven't been to these two parks in many years so there are a ton of new things we want to see. So here's my question: is being at the park from open to close completely nuts? I'm a bit concerned that we will run ourselves into the ground. So I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this recently with all of the lines and current changes. Is it possible? Do you regret it? Did you fair ok? We are staying offsite, so a midday break is not a possibility. The hours for AK will be 8-7 (Sun) and HS will be 9-9 (Thurs). Thanks!

I ALWAYS attempt to do rope drop to close - get tired/hot/frustrated half way thru, say f this 😬 leave and go back to pool.Going in October and going to try this time with a mid day break. Hoping that works better

I’m not sure what we are going to do this fall. I like to have park hoppers and do a morning EMH, have a rest break and then hop to an evening EMH park in the afternoon, since the time we go tends to have shorter hours and this maximizes our day. Right now this is the big question with our plans, rope drop and leave early or arrive later and stay until close. I have a feeling we’re going to wing it this fall!

So here's my question: is being at the park from open to close completely nuts?
Not at all. We love rope drop to "time to go folks..."
I'm a bit concerned that we will run ourselves into the ground.
When you get to that point in the day....
Leave.
So I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this recently with all of the lines and current changes. Is it possible? Do you regret it? Did you fair ok?
It's possible. I don't regret it. We faired just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter