Rope drop unlike our usual

beachteachlv

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

We are heading to the parks end of January and are thinking of approaching rope drop differently than we have in the past. Mostly because this trip our son will be 3 (41” tall, plus big sis who’s 6) and extended family will be with us.

Typically at DCA we head straight to Pixar Pier and we are done there by 10-11am. Then we LL for RSR and use genie+ for other rides later in the day.

This year we want to slow down a bit, enjoy the atmosphere and soak in the magic with our whole family. We don’t want to feel like it’s a mad dash for the pier and get through everything super fast. That being said, with two kids we also don’t want to end up with crazy lines later. The biggest addition to this trip is our son being able to ride RSR. We also want to add Webslingers to our day.

Would we be crazy to rope drop RSR (then use LL to ride again at night), then do Luigi + Mater, then Webslingers.. before heading to Pixar Pier? What’s our best option here? FWIW we are going to be at DCA on 1/23 (Tuesday).

For Disneyland on 1/24 it’s my birthday!!! I was thinking rope drop to Toontown.. then Small World, Dumbo, and then just move along based on wait times.

I would love any feedback! :)

Rope dropping rsr is always a bit of a risk because it goes down often and is often not online right at rope drop in my opinion. Also if you aren’t in the front it can end up being a hefty wait especially if there is early entry for hotel guests although we don’t know the schedule for that next year. It’s not a bad idea but be ready to be in front and pivot if need be

Rope dropping rsr is always a bit of a risk because it goes down often and is often not online right at rope drop in my opinion. Also if you aren’t in the front it can end up being a hefty wait especially if there is early entry for hotel guests although we don’t know the schedule for that next year. It’s not a bad idea but be ready to be in front and pivot if need be
My thoughts exactly. RSR is often down at opening or delayed in opening. If it works, great. If not, you end up with long lines elsewhere.

Disneyland and California Adventure will have a significant change to their early entry program starting on January 20, 2024. Only one park will have early entry but last I checked Disney has not confirmed what the schedule will be. Many disney fans feel that it will likely revert to the pre-pandemic format of early entry to DL on T, Th, Sat and DCA Sun, M, W, F. If your DCA day on 1/23 happens to be the day the DL has early entry, you will have slightly fewer guests to compete with for rope drop on RSR. Rope dropping RSR or RotR with young children would give me some pause as guests no longer have much decorum in the parks. It seems like the current plan for those guests who are too lazy to get up early enough to be at the front of rope drop is to simply sprint past those in front of them to make their way to the front of the pack and then save a spot for the rest of their friends/family once they enter the queue. I find this behavior disrespectful and unsafe for small children, the disabled and elderly adults. At some point Disney gave up on having cast members walk everyone from the hub back to RSR with a rope, which seemed to make rope drop a safer and more orderly process. Both RSR and RotR have a history of being down at rope drop but having a plan B for Pixar Pier from RSR is still a nice start to the morning. Have a great trip!

My thoughts exactly. RSR is often down at opening or delayed in opening. If it works, great. If not, you end up with long lines elsewhere.
This is probably why we historically haven’t gone for RSR at rope drop.

Maybe we hit the other two Cars rides first, then Webslingers, then over to Pixar Pier and save our RSR ILL for after dark…

Disneyland and California Adventure will have a significant change to their early entry program starting on January 20, 2024. Only one park will have early entry but last I checked Disney has not confirmed what the schedule will be. Many disney fans feel that it will likely revert to the pre-pandemic format of early entry to DL on T, Th, Sat and DCA Sun, M, W, F. If your DCA day on 1/23 happens to be the day the DL has early entry, you will have slightly fewer guests to compete with for rope drop on RSR. Rope dropping RSR or RotR with young children would give me some pause as guests no longer have much decorum in the parks. It seems like the current plan for those guests who are too lazy to get up early enough to be at the front of rope drop is to simply sprint past those in front of them to make their way to the front of the pack and then save a spot for the rest of their friends/family once they enter the queue. I find this behavior disrespectful and unsafe for small children, the disabled and elderly adults. At some point Disney gave up on having cast members walk everyone from the hub back to RSR with a rope, which seemed to make rope drop a safer and more orderly process. Both RSR and RotR have a history of being down at rope drop but having a plan B for Pixar Pier from RSR is still a nice start to the morning. Have a great trip!
Yeah I’m not going to rush a crowd with or without my kids, for any ride 😂 we aren’t that intense. Nor have we ever been at the “front”, so I’m getting the feeling going for RSR first isn’t in our best interest.

The line will go from zero to like an hour in about 30 seconds- it’s pretty nuts trying to rd it. My youngest was always in a stroller so it’s a lot to try to move quick, not get run over, not run anyone over, get there early to be in front, get said youngest kid out of stroller and park the stroller and still get in line fast. We’ve done it but it’s a bit stressful lol if you’re not going for a rushed feel definitely don’t attempt RSR lol

The line will go from zero to like an hour in about 30 seconds- it’s pretty nuts trying to rd it. My youngest was always in a stroller so it’s a lot to try to move quick, not get run over, not run anyone over, get there early to be in front, get said youngest kid out of stroller and park the stroller and still get in line fast. We’ve done it but it’s a bit stressful lol if you’re not going for a rushed feel definitely don’t attempt RSR lol
I am stressed just reading this 😂😂 the accuracy, spot on!!

We were in a large group (12) in June. They wanted to rope drop RSR. We tried telling them it was a bad idea. It was insane! We were not that far back at rope drop and my husband and I got separated from the rest of the group. (The pushing and shoving was intense) We ended up stopping right in front of Ramones. We knew the line was going to be crazy long. We decided to leave and went and walked on Guardians instead.

Our friends stayed in RSR line. It took them about 3 hours and 20 min to ride. 🤪 RSR broke down twice during that time. In the time they waited we rode Guardians twice, went shopping, rode Incredicoaster, left DCA and got Starbucks and Earl of sandwich for breakfast and came back to DCA to meet our son who also left the line to ride GRR a bunch of times and give him a breakfast sandwich. Lol. I adore RSR, but refuse to wait in that line.

We've rope dropped RSR twice. One time we were on the ride within 8 minutes, another it broke down for like 10 minutes but we eventually got on it about 20 min after getting in line. It truly is a luck thing whether it works or not.

We've rope dropped RSR twice. One time we were on the ride within 8 minutes, another it broke down for like 10 minutes but we eventually got on it about 20 min after getting in line. It truly is a luck thing whether it works or not.
It would be really great if they, you know, thought more about creating a quality guest experience and moved RSR to regular Genie+. It might actually make Genie+ look more attractive to guests instead of having to unnecessarily add Genie+ to Little Mermaid.

As evidenced by the stories about rope dropping RSR, the guest experience doesn't seem to be the top priority with the current park ops team...

It would be really great if they, you know, thought more about creating a quality guest experience and moved RSR to regular Genie+. It might actually make Genie+ look more attractive to guests instead of having to unnecessarily add Genie+ to Little Mermaid.

As evidenced by the stories about rope dropping RSR, the guest experience doesn't seem to be the top priority with the current park ops team...
Until they build another E ticket ride to compete with RSR then It's not gonna happen. If even then.

Last time we rope dropped it (Sept 2022) it was broken down at opening and didn't come up for over an hour- our kids (5 almost 5) were not happy to have been rushed there and then not able to ride for an hour.

Agree with others that I would not attempt RSR at rope drop, as it goes down far too often. You had mentioned riding it at night, but will your kids still be up at at it? If you are unsure then I would prioritize the $LL for racers in the morning to ensure you get to ride it - if you all are still up and energized you can always go back later in the evening if the line dies down.

I am in the camp of: do the most important things first, because you never know what will happen (says the woman who booked a Lightsaber build on our last day and it was march 2020… Thankfully we got some pixie dust and were able to move it up!) but truly, especially with kids that young you never know how the day will go.

Agree with others that I would not attempt RSR at rope drop, as it goes down far too often. You had mentioned riding it at night, but will your kids still be up at at it? If you are unsure then I would prioritize the $LL for racers in the morning to ensure you get to ride it - if you all are still up and energized you can always go back later in the evening if the line dies down.

I am in the camp of: do the most important things first, because you never know what will happen (says the woman who booked a Lightsaber build on our last day and it was march 2020… Thankfully we got some pixie dust and were able to move it up!) but truly, especially with kids that young you never know how the day will go.
Since we are going in January it gets dark early enough that our kids will still be up! But… for my little guy’s first time, I think a lot of the details will be more recognizable for him during the day. And you’re very right, kids these ages are wild cards 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter