• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rope dropping AK, not for Avatar

snowwhite84

DIS Veteran
hi all! Thinking about rope dropping AK our next trip. We have FoP FP, would probably do things like Dinosaur, rapid FotLK in the am before doing FoP, Everest and Safari with FP. Is this a crazy idea? Wondering if battling the crowds trying to get into Avatar is worth it for the low crowds elsewhere that first hour. Thoughts?

we recently rope dropped navi river journey (prob got on around 830 on a 9:00 open day), then walked on at on everest 3 times, then to dinosaur around 9:30 where wait was <10 minutes to FP merge. Good strat if you have an FoP FP+

hi all! Thinking about rope dropping AK our next trip. We have FoP FP, would probably do things like Dinosaur, rapid FotLK in the am before doing FoP, Everest and Safari with FP. Is this a crazy idea? Wondering if battling the crowds trying to get into Avatar is worth it for the low crowds elsewhere that first hour. Thoughts?

My thoughts?
You are smart.
However - I'd head straight to Everest, but that's me. I was able to basically walk on Everest three times in a row. All three, waited a train for the front row. The third time we waited maybe 3 trains for the front row, then bugged out to Primeval Hurl, then to Dinosaur for 3x walk ons - the third ride was about a 10 minute wait.

When the crowd zigs to FOP, you ZAG. Make better use off your time.

Definitely worth it! Last January I went with my daughter to Everest and rode it 3 times in a row with very little wait. Everyone runs to Pandora. We had a FP for FOP and tried to do it at rope drop. No good :) So we left and enjoyed the rest of the park with no waits. It was awesome!

If you RD and skip Pandora, you will have very short lines for at least the first hour.
We have done that and it works very well.

Fyi: Was there twice this week (today and Tuesday): both days dinosaur opened at 9:30. Not sure if this is normal.

If you RD and skip Pandora, you will have very short lines for at least the first hour.
We have done that and it works very well.
we recently rope dropped navi river journey (prob got on around 830 on a 9:00 open day), then walked on at on everest 3 times, then to dinosaur around 9:30 where wait was <10 minutes to FP merge. Good strat if you have an FoP FP+
This is what I was intending to do on an 08:00 morning EMH day on Monday 27th May (Memorial Day), as I was led to believe that the rest of the rides don’t start running until the advertised opening time - Is this correct?
However, when I made a personalised Touring Plan, (purposely leaving the Navi ride out of the TP as I was hoping to ride it before the official park opening time) it has the wait for Everest at 20 minutes right at opening. Is this because of higher crowds on Memorial Day, or just an error with how Touring Plans is working at park opening? Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

We have a fast pass for FoP but wanted to rope drop Navi River Journey. Seeing the earlier comment that they were able to ride before official park opening, what time should we arrive to hopefully be able to do the same?

We do exactly that. I don't know if things have changed over the past few months, but in the 50 or so times I've done it, RD has never been hectic at all. Actually, shortly after Avatar was open we did RD on the right side of the park, and it was one of the best days we've had in AK. Every ride was a walk on.

We wanted to RD Navi River Journey as we had FP for FoP. We got there about 9:40. All the FoP people were already in line, so we could just walk right in to the queue of NRJ which was maybe 10 minutes. Then we headed to EE, which would have been a great plan except it was down. LOL.

The other week we did RD and headed to KS, they didn't let us back exactly at 9AM. We were the 3rd truck on the Safari and the lions were sitting up on the ledge, it was awesome. Then headed over to EE. The kids rode 2 times stand by and once w/ FP by 10:10. We then headed over to our FP for FOP
Very nice, relaxed morning

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter