Rope-dropping BTMR

Update: At 9:10 today (Friday 6/28), wait times were 15 minutes for both BTMR and Splash, per MDE. (And this was on a morning EMH day at MK.)

Perhaps the wait times I saw Thursday were an anomaly. I will keep watching over the next few days.

Out strategy at RD has been to head either to SM and then Buzz or BTMRR, then Jungle Cruise and Pirates

Sad to hear of long waits at rope drop for BTMR. Last year in June we rode it three times with little to no wait back to back. I’m guessing they were still running both sides back then.

Only running one train at BTM in the mornings after rope drop is not new.
It has been going on for as long as I can remember.
(At least during "non-peak" mornings.)

Go with your plan but be ready to change it up and go with the flow if needed.

Also make sure you’re at the front of the pack at Adventureland and take that route toward Frontierland.

We went to rope drop Thunder & Splash on Wednesday, a normal 9am opening. When we reached the area, there was a mob of people coming from the other direction and we were very lucky to be let through and into the line at Thunder just before that giant group because Splash was down, causing a lot of confusion and really massive crowds really early on at Thunder. There’s really no other ride nearby to take any of those people rushing to get on something ASAP. Splash, as well as Haunted Mansion, ended up both being down pretty much all morning.

Even with two rides not operating, they still ran only one track on Thunder. When we got out, that standby line easily looked like an hour wait...

Sad to hear of long waits at rope drop for BTMR. Last year in June we rode it three times with little to no wait back to back. I’m guessing they were still running both sides back then.

It does seem out of the ordinary. Both last week and last summer, I did a "westside" rope drop circuit. We were able to get on Splash Mountain, BTMRR, Haunted Mansion in about the first hour at a leisurely pace, with little wait both times. At that point it started getting more crowded and Jungle Cruise was at up to 50 minutes or so and the park was quickly filling up through the 10am hour. By then, it was time to start relying on FastPasses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter