Rose and Crown Pub beer blends?

For the fellow American beer geeks like me ... I'd recommend ordering a 'half and half' instead of an 'black and tan' if you're across the pond in the UK. Probably the same at the Rose and Crown or Raglan Road. Black and Tan may be considered an offensive term referencing back to the Irish independence movement ... sort of like ordering an 'Irish car bomb' I wouldn't recommend. I had an eye-opening and civil conversation about this while on a business trip to County Wicklow Ireland a few years ago.

For the fellow American beer geeks like me ... I'd recommend ordering a 'half and half' instead of an 'black and tan' if you're across the pond in the UK. Probably the same at the Rose and Crown or Raglan Road. Black and Tan may be considered an offensive term referencing back to the Irish independence movement ... sort of like ordering an 'Irish car bomb' I wouldn't recommend. I had an eye-opening and civil conversation about this while on a business trip to County Wicklow Ireland a few years ago.
Interesting, the last time we were there, it was still listed as Black and Tan. I see now in the menu it is half and half.

Interesting, the last time we were there, it was still listed as Black and Tan. I see now in the menu it is half and half.

Probably 90% of the time it's fine to reference a 'black and tan' ... especially outside of Ireland. Heck, I live in PA and Yuengling is still going strong with their black and tan. It would be interesting to get the input from someone native to Ireland. But one of the things that has stuck with me was the discussion I had while while in a small neighborhood pub in Ireland as I sort of came across as the ugly American when I brought up the black and tan ... locals were awesome and polite, but I certainly got a history lesson.

... Sorry as I don't want to derail this thread

While travelling to the UK I wondered to myself if the concept of an 'Irish Car Bomb' drink exists in the UK or Ireland as surely they would never use that term there. And no, I didn't test this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter