Rose bush leaf drop?

Octoberbride03

<font color=660000>I think Tweetie done gone Cucko
Hi all this is my first visit here. I have a question that I've been meaning to post. We have 2 red rose bushes in front of our house that had a massive leaf drop off last week. We went to work bushes were fine, and came home one day and noticed that most of the leaves on the bushes had died and dropped right off. Both are very bare now, but don't seem to be dying at all. I just deadheaded them and removed everything that looked dead or mostly dead, but both still seem to have plenty of life in them. I bush looks like its going to bud roses again probably next week sometime if not late this week. The other bush has new leaf sprouts but no new buds growing yet. We also have a nice yellow rose bush in between the reds and its doing just fine as always and still has all its leaves:confused3 All 3 were planted at the same time about a yr ago give or take and only 1 had a major pruning due to its threatening to overtake our front porch. That was at the beginning of the spring.

Anybody have any idea why they dropped their leaves like that? We're not major gardeners or anything like that. Just planted the roses for curb appeal and because we get so much sun in front of our house.

TIA

If you aren't seeing any other signs of disease or bugs then the problem could be that they aren't being fed enough.

Check the plants for bumps on the stems (mites) turn the leafs over and look for bugs, eggs, check for spiderwebs, holes in the remaining leaves. Are the remaining leaves yellow or brown.

If you aren't finding any of this then I would get some miracle grow and feed them every 2 weeks and make sure they get an inch of water twice a week.

I hope that helps.
Mary

We did the Miracle grow at the beginning of the season. They grow so quick on it that we do it less than the bag says to. As for the water, its rained so much here in the past 2 months they've had more than an inch a week of watering. We had almost 5 inches of rain in May and 4.74 inches this month. I only saw 1 spiderweb this afternoon when I was deadheading, other than that they were both clear.

Some of the leaves are yellow turning to brown and some have holes in them but not all of them. there's also some nice new green leaves too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter