RotR Planning & Daily Boarding Group Discussion - *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it can be a negative because it takes away any control the visitor may have over getting a BG that suits them. Up to this point, if you want to ride, and especially if you want to ride early (say it's your last day, and you have to head to the airport mid-afternoon), you get there early and get a lower BG. Now, you have no control over your BG. As some folks reported above, they were on the app right away and instead of getting BG 7,8, 9, or 10, getting to go ride early and get on with their day, they were in 17, or even 34. That can be a big difference, depending on how the ride's operating.

Also, it can be super fun to get in a bit "early" and get a couple of rides in while lines are short. Just a bit of pixie dust that starts the day off great. Being held on Hollywood Blvd in the middle of a huge crowd until exactly 7 am doesn't have the same feeling.
I simply can't view anything that puts everyone on the same level as negative.

I thought about the app too. But, I didn't hear any outrage that the app wasn't working. So maybe?
If the app were more reliable generally, then your "maybe" is a good guess!

When we were there this past Saturday, even though I had the app open and ready when we passed through the tapstiles, as soon as I was in the park, my app went back to the log-in screen and asked for my password, which I foolishly didn't know and wasn't prepared for since I've never had this happen with MDX--it's just always on and open (Android, btw). All was okay, however, since my sister's app (iPhone) worked and she got the boarding group. I had to go to a CM to get my password reset, etc., and got locked out of MDX on my tablet later that day because it wouldn't recognize the new password!

I do think there's still an advantage to getting to the park early, because the lines to get in will be long and even if they don't open the boarding groups until the official park opening time, the people who get there earlier won't have to wait a long time just to tap in. I think people who really want to ride are going to show up early, no matter what. I know I would.

And, btw, RotR is totally 150% completely worth it. It's an amazing experience. I only wish we'd gone earlier in our trip so we could've done it more than twice. For those of you who haven't been yet--you're in for a HUGE treat. For those of us who've done it, you know what I'm talking about.

Even with this event taking place deeper in the park this AM, Disney could have easily opened the Boarding Groups at park entry like they have every day and then just held people on Hollywood Blvd or at points deeper in the park where they still would not interfere with the special group. The decision to not allow BG sign ups to 7am might be related, might not.

And, on another, but related, topic--No, the frenzy for RotR hasn't cut the wait times for FoP--at least not that I noticed and I was at DAK several mornings after RotR opened and saw 3- and 4-hour standby wait times for FoP. The worst I saw was 2 days ago. We had 9 a.m. FP+s for FoP (booked at 60+7) and the standby line was 4 hours.

If the app were more reliable generally, then your "maybe" is a good guess!

When we were there this past Saturday, even though I had the app open and ready when we passed through the tapstiles, as soon as I was in the park, my app went back to the log-in screen and asked for my password, which I foolishly didn't know and wasn't prepared for since I've never had this happen with MDX--it's just always on and open (Android, btw). All was okay, however, since my sister's app (iPhone) worked and she got the boarding group. I had to go to a CM to get my password reset, etc., and got locked out of MDX on my tablet later that day because it wouldn't recognize the new password!

I do think there's still an advantage to getting to the park early, because the lines to get in will be long and even if they don't open the boarding groups until the official park opening time, the people who get there earlier won't have to wait a long time just to tap in. I think people who really want to ride are going to show up early, no matter what. I know I would.

And, btw, RotR is totally 150% completely worth it. It's an amazing experience. I only wish we'd gone earlier in our trip so we could've done it more than twice. For those of you who haven't been yet--you're in for a HUGE treat. For those of us who've done it, you know what I'm talking about.
I agree, just maybe not 2-3 hours early. Got a week to continue to follow along

Today SWGE opened early for media. I'll speculate by early next year SWGE will open early as part of an extra cost experience at least one day a week.

It's possible this whole thing today was to keep people from trying to get into GE before the special group finished. Hopefully someone in the park today can ask a knowledgable CM about tomorrow.
I think you may be correct

Today SWGE opened early for media. I'll speculate by early next year SWGE will open early as part of an extra cost experience at least one day a week.
Not me.
Where is the one some here said would happen for FoP/Pandora?
Eventually but not early next year, which is 3 weeks away

Just following along to keep up with the process for our arrival next week.
I'm confused why the change they did this morning is even remotely considered a failure or negative (be it temporary or perm)
I see nothing but positive things about their no opening boarding groups until park opening. Or rides. What am I missing?
Doesn't it mean you don't have to get there are o'dark'thirty? Unless I'm missing something big, I love this change.

well, the negatives are

a) this wasn't info provided earlier so people showed up at o'dark'thirty expecting same procedure as yesterday as no indication it would be any different, so does kinda suck for those people
b) for a standard rope drop there is still advantage to being there early as you would be at the front of the line and can get to the ride of your choice faster that the people that arrived after you and are behind you in line. With this new set up for RotR boarding groups, someone who comes at 6:45 has the exact same chance as someone who comes at 4:45. So it isn't the *exact* same as regular rope drop.

I think in the long run it is a better thing especially with how larger groups were showing up earlier and earlier ... but I do see the other side as well for people who can/are willing to get there early not having any advantage

Even with this event taking place deeper in the park this AM, Disney could have easily opened the Boarding Groups at park entry like they have every day and then just held people on Hollywood Blvd or at points deeper in the park where they still would not interfere with the special group. The decision to not allow BG sign ups to 7am might be related, might not.

and with Disney, that crafty bugger, we probably won't find out until we see how tomorrow morning runs

True. They would have had to communicate to those that got early boarding groups that they aren't being called yet, which seems pretty doable. Hopefully someone in the park today will ask.

I think you (i.e. Disney) want to set this thing up so that the VQ doesn't fill immediately once distribution commences. That means that it shouldn't happen once there is 12K+ in the park. So you either open it when the tapstiles open, or start it no more than 30 mins or so after that time.

I hope we also find out when the regular VQ filled this am, and if people had better experiences using DHS wifi vs. cellular connections (and which carriers) for best results when the virtual gun goes off.

Last edited:
Is ROTR still experiencing frequent technical difficulties? Is its capacity currently assumed to be significantly lower than 100% because of difficulties? Has this been discussed somewhere and I just can’t find it? Sorry to those of you who got up very early this morning and didn’t have the experience you expected.

Not me.
Where is the one some here said would happen for FoP/Pandora?
Eventually but not early next year, which is 3 weeks away

Agree. I don't see a special event happening JUST for GE for a long time. Besides, you would pay for what, an extra hour? That would get you 1 ride on each considering how long these experiences are.

True. They would have had to communicate that those that got early boarding groups aren't being called yet, which seems pretty doable. Hopefully someone in the park today will ask.

I think you (i.e. Disney) want to set this thing up so that the VQ doesn't fill immediately once distribution commences. That means that it shouldn't happen once there is 12K+ in the park. So you either open it when the tapstiles open, or no more than 20 mins or so after that time.

I hope we also find out when the regular VQ filled this am. Also if people recommend using Disney wifi or cellular connections (and which carriers) for best results when the virtual gun goes off.
Haven't they been filling practically immediately even anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter