Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Thanks for all the nice thoughts for my mom and also I agree that everyone needs to do a women's race this year (well, all the ladies, but I'm not stopping any of the fellas either.)
But can I also just say I hate cancer. It's stupid and I hate it. I hate that people I love have it. Hate it.

But I have running and hubby is going to pick up kiddo and make dinner (swoon) while I go for a jog (swoon) and I'll enjoy all 32 degrees outside until it's time to snuggle on the couch and watch nonsense for a few hours.
Don't know how long or how fast I'll go, maybe I'll grab a mickey sticker and just saunter around the neighborhood. I'll get back to a plan soon, but for now...just gonna enjoy it.
Thursday is "watch the parade" day and some lunch at a restaurant. And then I'm gonna cook something yummy for roxymamasmama and roxypapa for day-late thanksgiving. And I'll run.

Also, I'm thankful for all of you. #sappy

:grouphug:

Thanks for all the nice thoughts for my mom and also I agree that everyone needs to do a women's race this year (well, all the ladies, but I'm not stopping any of the fellas either.)
But can I also just say I hate cancer. It's stupid and I hate it. I hate that people I love have it. Hate it.

But I have running and hubby is going to pick up kiddo and make dinner (swoon) while I go for a jog (swoon) and I'll enjoy all 32 degrees outside until it's time to snuggle on the couch and watch nonsense for a few hours.
Don't know how long or how fast I'll go, maybe I'll grab a mickey sticker and just saunter around the neighborhood. I'll get back to a plan soon, but for now...just gonna enjoy it.
Thursday is "watch the parade" day and some lunch at a restaurant. And then I'm gonna cook something yummy for roxymamasmama and roxypapa for day-late thanksgiving. And I'll run.

Also, I'm thankful for all of you. #sappy
images

And I'm thankful for you! Enjoy your run tonight!

images

And I'm thankful for you! Enjoy your run tonight!

giphy.gif

Big Hugs for you Roxymama! It sounds like a tough week for sure. And I'm so happy to hear the Roxymamasmama is doing better!!

:hug::grouphug::hug:
Thanks guys!

Excited about days off to run and cook and be with family and run. And try hard not to spend my life's savings on things marked 50% off.

Spitballing - but would running a 5k on Jan 6 (Polar Dash) be a good or bad idea as something to bridge me between the end of November and starting spring HM training? I'm thinking if it's stupidly cold out then its just better incentive to run as fast as my body will allow to get back to my warm car? (@DopeyBadger but others welcome to chime in)
Weird thing: It's an 11:30am race because they run a half marathon before it and allow people to turn around and run the 5k too as a challenge (I will not be doing that.) Which at least may help it be slightly warmer. It's gonna be on a flat lakefront path area I've ran on 1000 times before. And if past courses are same it's probably 1.5+ mile out and back.
Last 5 years:
17' 0 to 9 deg
16' 21 to 36 deg
15' -5! to 10 deg
14' -16!! to -2 deg
13' 18-36 deg
only snow as .3 in in 17.
(this year just says 20/10 max, min but that's not gonna be totally accurate)

Ugh, sign me up for 36 degrees, but UGH NO to -16. Or is anything possible when you sit in a car until you have to literally warm up and then you run fast so you don't die?

Just trying to keep myself motivated and also shoe-horn in some attempts at seeing what I can do now that I've a got a little bit of "omg, I ran how fast for how long" confidence in my pocket.

Ugh the 5k I was thinking about above doesn't appear to be timed unless you are doing the challenge. And then they give you a chip for one shoe and one for the other. So why not just give all the 5k people one of the chips?? Amirite? I had to dig through online reviews to figure that out.
Well forget that one!

Back to the drawing board.

Ugh the 5k I was thinking about above doesn't appear to be timed unless you are doing the challenge. And then they give you a chip for one shoe and one for the other. So why not just give all the 5k people one of the chips?? Amirite? I had to dig through online reviews to figure that out.
Well forget that one!

Back to the drawing board.
Why do you need both chips? Is the theory that if one chip breaks or fails you at least have the other chip? If so why not get better chips?

Why do you need both chips? Is the theory that if one chip breaks or fails you at least have the other chip? If so why not get better chips?

I haven't done that race series yet but they have all kinds of crazy combos that reads like a Dopey challange but all on the same morning. So I think they have an 1800m, 5k, 10k, and half and there's different combos you can run to get different medals. And so the longer races have one shoe chip and the shorter another and you wear them on different shoes so they register correctly at the mats. But the 5k by itself is not timed??? It seems like it could get really confusing real quickly! Especially since they all seem to share the same path and starting line/finish line, but with different turnaround points. Maybe one day I'll run it just to figure it out?
The good news is I am not doing that one anyways and picked a different "it's gonna be cold" 5k for January that's more local to me and simpler, and I'll have a REAL Monday update soon with details. Huzzah!

I haven't done that race series yet but they have all kinds of crazy combos that reads like a Dopey challange but all on the same morning. So I think they have an 1800m, 5k, 10k, and half and there's different combos you can run to get different medals. And so the longer races have one shoe chip and the shorter another and you wear them on different shoes so they register correctly at the mats. But the 5k by itself is not timed??? It seems like it could get really confusing real quickly! Especially since they all seem to share the same path and starting line/finish line, but with different turnaround points. Maybe one day I'll run it just to figure it out?
The good news is I am not doing that one anyways and picked a different "it's gonna be cold" 5k for January that's more local to me and simpler, and I'll have a REAL Monday update soon with details. Huzzah!
That sounds confusing. I wouldn't want to race it either because in addition to it being cold in January that sounds like too many excessive instructions.

That sounds confusing. I wouldn't want to race it either because in addition to it being cold in January that sounds like too many excessive instructions.

Yes, and I tend to lose some brain function from just being nervous at races. Imagine adding all that in too, haha!!

Monday Update: Run Rudolph Run
giphy.gif

So I've been some kind of mix of "off" or "not fully on" with running now for several weeks. I for sure took time off after my fun run in disney but then got hit by the world's most annoying, lingering cold. And with no goal in sight it was easy to just let myself rest and recover. But then I sat on the couch probably a few days longer than necessary...it's cold out...my husband had to run...I already put my pajamas on...I'd rather play with my kiddo...I ran all year, I deserve time off, etc etc excuses excuses. And to be honest I am ok with it. I have worked hard all year and taking a break is ok. But then I started thinking about next year and I also just started missing running. All my normal holiday window shopping were related to gear and races and running apparel and it became quite clear...I just missed running.
So I ran!
giphy.gif

Normal easy treadmill stuff but also a big 2.8 miles outdoors before I had to start cooking Thanksgiving dinner. Did you know spotify has a holiday running playlist? Well now you know!
And I've now taken the new kicks on a few test drives and happy to say Brooks Shields feel great. I still need to remove my minnie bows from my Night's Watch shoes but I haven't had the patience to re-lace them yet (it also makes me sad.)
giphy.gif

And I ran just in place on the treadmill last night. Long enough to watch exactly one tv show and then come home and high five hubby who went to run at the gym after me.

So last year I kind of did not a whole lot of consistent running during December. I intended too and I kind of was off and on with it. But with my new half marathon in the spring being 16 weeks from Jan, I have time for a mini-cycle prior and although all my 5k/short winter race options were coming up as stinkers...I found a flyer in my door for the Frosty 5k in Burbank on 1/13. Researched and I think this will work! And it's actually timed! Funny thing is hubby told me after I already decided to do it, that he ran that one last year and I just had no memory of it because he literally left before I woke up, ran it and came home. He said it is flat and easy and not crowded. Sounds fine to me.

So after chatting with dopeybadger on and off about the winter and spring stuff and me finally being ready to get back to work.
I HAVE A PLAN! And it starts tomorrow.
Mini goal is the Jan 5k...just see how I do...I'll race it but we will just see where my fitness is at that point. Then 4/22 half marathon PR crush attempt 2.0
I'll run 4 days a week for the mini cycle and 5 for the HM cycle.

TRAINING WEEK #1
Mon 11/27: OFF
Tue 11/28: 3mi @ EA
Wed 11/29: OFF
Thur 11/30: 3mi @ EB
Fri 12/1: OFF
Sat 12/2: 4 mi @ EA
Sun 12/3: 4mi @ EB and we get to see Santa

Did I mention I have new paces?
giphy.gif

Which I knew were coming because I'd been clued in about them for a few weeks now from coach.
WU/CD 12:18
EA 11:34
EB 10:48
LR 10:25
Tempo 9:16
Strength 9:31
Speed 8:30
CV 8:54

So of course that tempo is EEK, but when I keep reminding myself what I can do and have done it calms down my EEK. And my body has been wanting to hit that LR pace for a while now so it's not so scary. I think I got this? I've got over 20 weeks to work at it!!

Happy to be back at it. Happy to have direction. Happy to run.

Last edited:
Monday Update: Run Rudolph Run
giphy.gif

So I've been some kind of mix of "off" or "not fully on" with running now for several weeks. I for sure took time off after my fun run in disney but then got hit by the world's most annoying, lingering cold. And with no goal in sight it was easy to just let myself rest and recover. But then I sat on the couch probably a few days longer than necessary...it's cold out...my husband had to run...I already put my pajamas on...I'd rather play with my kiddo...I ran all year, I deserve time off, etc etc excuses excuses. And to be honest I am ok with it. I have worked hard all year and taking a break is ok. But then I started thinking about next year and I also just started missing running. All my normal holiday window shopping were related to gear and races and running apparel and it became quite clear...I just missed running.
So I ran!
giphy.gif

Normal easy treadmill stuff but also a big 2.8 miles outdoors before I had to start cooking Thanksgiving dinner. Did you know spotify has a holiday running playlist? Well now you know!
And I've now taken the new kicks on a few test drives and happy to say Brooks Shields feel great. I still need to remove my minnie bows from my Night's Watch shoes but I haven't had the patience to re-lace them yet (it also makes me sad.)
giphy.gif

And I ran just in place on the treadmill last night. Long enough to watch exactly one tv show and then come home and high five hubby who went to run at the gym after me.

So last year I kind of did not a whole lot of consistent running during December. I intended too and I kind of off and on with it. But with my half marathon in the spring being 16 weeks from Jan, I had time for a mini-cycle prior and although all my 5k/short winter race options were coming up as stinkers...I found a flyer in my door for the Frosty 5k in Burbank on 1/13. Researched and I think this will work! And it's actually timed! Funny thing is hubby told me after I already decided to do it, that he ran that one last year and I just had no memory of it because he literally left before I woke up, ran it and came home. He said it is flat and easy and not crowded. Sounds fine to me.

So after chatting with dopeybadger on and off about the winter and spring stuff and me finally being ready to get back to work.
I HAVE A PLAN! And it starts tomorrow.
Mini goal is the Jan 5k...just see how I do...I'll race it but we will just see where my fitness is at that point. Then 4/22 half marathon PR crush attempt 2.0
I'll run 4 days a week for the mini cycle and 5 for the HM cycle.

TRAINING WEEK #1
Mon 11/27: OFF
Tue 11/28: 3mi @ EA
Wed 11/29: OFF
Thur 11/30: 3mi @ EB
Fri 12/1: OFF
Sat 12/2: 4 mi @ EA
Sun 12/3: 4mi @ EB and we get to see Santa

Did I mention I have new paces?
giphy.gif

Which I knew were coming because I'd been clued in about them for a few weeks now from coach.
WU/CD 12:18
EA 11:34
EB 10:48
LR 10:25
Tempo 9:16
Strength 9:31
Speed 8:30
CV 8:54

So of course that tempo is EEK, but when I keep reminding myself what I can do and have done it calms down my EEK. And my body has been wanting to hit that LR pace for a while now so it's not so scary. I think I got this? I've got over 20 weeks to work at it!!

Happy to be back at it. Happy to have direction. Happy to run.

Happy to have you back!! Guess who is also starting her new @DopeyBadger training plan this week??? We can be training plan buddies!! Excited to follow along lovely x

Exciting! Strength in numbers (hey, that tagline kind of works on several levels.)
What is your race date and race?
And why are we not at WDW still??

Haha sounds good!
Actually haven't picked a specific date as of yet but will be some time Feb/March for my first one...

Boo I know! TAKE ME BACK!!
Are you planning any future trips? We're already planning next year lol

A (wo)man with a plan!! Love it! Exciting to have a race on the calendar... how is January not that far away?? Yikes!

Hope you had a great thanksgiving!

Haha sounds good!
Actually haven't picked a specific date as of yet but will be some time Feb/March for my first one...

Boo I know! TAKE ME BACK!!
Are you planning any future trips? We're already planning next year lol

Nothing "officially" planned but I have ideas in my mind all the time for when to go again. Every once in a while one sticks. I'm sure you can relate. I may have talked my extended family into renting a DVC villa or cabin in like 3 years over thanksgiving too once the little kids get a bit bigger. We will see if that really happens or not.

A (wo)man with a plan!! Love it! Exciting to have a race on the calendar... how is January not that far away?? Yikes!

Hope you had a great thanksgiving!

I'm a plan-needer that's for sure. Don't let me out in the wild without a plan!
More important question...How is it DECEMBER NEXT WEEK??????

Was your Disney trip amazing???

I'm a plan-needer that's for sure. Don't let me out in the wild without a plan!
More important question...How is it DECEMBER NEXT WEEK??????

Was your Disney trip amazing???

I am also a big planner! My hubby told someone that was giving us a hard time the other day "Well we'll be going back in Jan 2019 because Blake is running a mar...." Then I had to smack him. Shh!! Not ready to tell the world... even though I AM planning that far in advance. ;)

Disneyland was great! (But to be honest, I am a WDW girl through and through.) We spent 1 day at each park and really enjoyed both- I liked DCA way more than I thought I would... Lobster nachos might have helped with that. ;) Highlight of both parks was probably seeing the castle lit up and decorated for Christmas, along with the fireworks. It was.... magical! :) I have SO much I could say about the trip, but I don't want to clutter your journal. :)

Yay for having a new plan!! Those paces are super speedy, but I know you have it in you!

Also ...
There are a lot of factors that will have to fall into place, but ... there's about a 5% chance that I'm looking at the 2019 marathon. So let's all plan for that one, okay?
You guys are gonna make me come back for 2019 aren't you...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter