• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Royal Caribbean Issues Nassau Warning

Good to know, thanks. Although I’ve haven’t had an incident during my two visits to Nassau, it doesn’t hurt to be reminded to be careful.

We stay on the ship in Nassau.

Was reading about this on another cruise board and a poster mentioned that this is what the cruise lines want. The Bahamian government pushed back against the cruise lines by raising port fees. So the cruise lines say, “I’ll take my ball and you can’t play” by influencing the guest to stay on the ship. When people stay on the ship they will not be spending money in the port and that vacation money then stays with the cruise line in the form of drinks, dinners or at the spa.

As with any tourist destination or city you need to pay attention. Too many people are drinking and not thinking.

I will say though when you read this warning it is all of the same tips that you should keep in mind whenever you are traveling. This will not change my plans to get off the ship with my young kids when we stop in Nassau. We will still visit but like we would anywhere we will keep our wits about us and travel smart.

I will say though when you read this warning it is all of the same tips that you should keep in mind whenever you are traveling. This will not change my plans to get off the ship with my young kids when we stop in Nassau. We will still visit but like we would anywhere we will keep our wits about us and travel smart.

Totally agree! We've always had a great time during many visits to Nassau. I'm afraid people will read it as an excuse not to get off the ship (like Falmouth and more recently, Cozumel).

Totally agree! We've always had a great time during many visits to Nassau. I'm afraid people will read it as an excuse not to get off the ship (like Falmouth and more recently, Cozumel).
Exactly. One of the things that I always do when I travel is that I just don't wear any jewelry other than my wedding band. I remove my engagement ring. I also talk to my kids about how cultures are different and try and prepare them for certain situations.

We have been to Nassau multiple times. DH and I went on a 3 day earlier this month and were a little shocked when we got off the ship. It seemed like the venders were much pushier and the heckling was more intense than any other port we had ever been too (including Jamaica). I don't know if it's because travel was slower so they were more aggressive or if something else was going on. We walked to Starbucks, got a coffee, used the wifi, and headed right back to the ship.

Just thought this might be some good info to share. See link below from Cruise Radio.

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-line-issues-warning-about-bahamas/

Pretty typical warning for Nassau. I wonder if a guest was robbed on the previous Allure stop in Nassau and that is making the captain extra cautious.

We have been to Nassau multiple times. DH and I went on a 3 day earlier this month and were a little shocked when we got off the ship. It seemed like the venders were much pushier and the heckling was more intense than any other port we had ever been too (including Jamaica). I don't know if it's because travel was slower so they were more aggressive or if something else was going on. We walked to Starbucks, got a coffee, used the wifi, and headed right back to the ship.

I've been visiting now so for the last 30 years, I've never seen any appreciable difference in the way vendors try to approach cruise visitors. If your port call in Jamaica was in Falmouth, there's a good reason why you had a different experience there. It's a secure port, and the only vendors inside are licensed. We cruised into Ocho Rios once and I found the vendors to be similar to Nassau.

The Bahamian government pushed back against the cruise lines by raising port fees. So the cruise lines say, “I’ll take my ball and you can’t play” by influencing the guest to stay on the ship.

Eh, they’ve had travel warnings there for years.

DH and I went on a 3 day earlier this month and were a little shocked when we got off the ship. It seemed like the venders were much pushier and the heckling was more intense than any other port we had ever been too (including Jamaica).

Hmm. I felt that St Kitts people were much more aggressive. Plus, they had monkeys on their shoulders. :)

I think Nassau feels worse because it’s like running the gauntlet. But I’m not sure they actually are worse. In my experience.

Hmm. I felt that St Kitts people were much more aggressive. Plus, they had monkeys on their shoulders. :)

And steal your earrings - the monkeys that is. My sister knows from experience. (She got it back.)

I walked alone around Nassau with my kids and felt “safe”. Just like any major US city or worse, Naples Italy, one needs to use common sense. A firm NO, stay in heavily trafficked areas, leave the 2 carat ring/ LV bags at home and most important STAY SOBER.

I am sure there is something about the cruise lines wanting to keep people on board as backlash to local government. Which I think is horrible, Sorry but if you register your ship in the Bahamas to pay low wages and not abide some labor laws; pay up in other ways.

I stick with state department Warning which have never said that Nassau is completely unsafe and not to travel there. Travel warnings have always said to go with caution. But unless there was a serious Complete travel stop, in which the crew ships would not even dock there, I feel comfortable going there.

I don’t want to turn this thread in a different direction but Europeans can also have the Same arguments about visiting the US. I am sure that more people have been shot and killed in the US ( while not being in a “bad gang” neighborhood) then held a gun point in Nassau. In fact this European family was in Florida near Jacksonville last year when that shooting happened at that bar. This caused my husband to have serious doubts if our trips to US are even safe anymore. That was a little bit too close for comfort

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that there was "speculation" that some cruise lines would be eliminating Nassau in the future because of crime? :confused:Don't remember where I read it though.:scratchin

I thought I read somewhere that there was "speculation" that some cruise lines would be eliminating Nassau in the future because of crime? :confused:Don't remember where I read it though.:scratchin

When the Bahamian government raised port fees for the cruise lines, there was speculation (no need for quotation marks, that's what it was) that cruise lines might pull out of Nassau and blame it on the crime rather than pay the higher port fees.

When the Bahamian government raised port fees for the cruise lines, there was speculation (no need for quotation marks, that's what it was) that cruise lines might pull out of Nassau and blame it on the crime rather than pay the higher port fees.
So is there still speculation? Anyone read anything more on this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter