• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Royal Suite????

I'm hoping its a double or full. It looks wider than the one in our Cat T.

Thanks again for all the info and pictures. After my wife looked at all the pics she called DCL and switched us to the Walt Suite from the Roy Suite. The Walt suite is much lighter finish then the Roy. Now on our B2B on the Dream this May I can see her asking Ashley in the Concierge lounge if she made the right decision. God I have created a monster!!!

Thanks again for all the info and pictures. After my wife looked at all the pics she called DCL and switched us to the Walt Suite from the Roy Suite. The Walt suite is much lighter finish then the Roy. Now on our B2B on the Dream this May I can see her asking Ashley in the Concierge lounge if she made the right decision. God I have created a monster!!!

Well the Walt is fantastic, I choose it solely as it is The Walt, liked the name, enjoy it. Both are nice.

We've done the Walt on the Magic and the Roy on the Wonder, and we've got the Walt on the Wonder booked for our next cruise. We absolutely loved having the Royal, and my mother, who sailed with us, insists she will not sail with DCL without it. On the first cruise, she ordered from Palo almost every night. (She was basically in a vegetarian phase and didn't like the veggies in the main dining room, but they brought her a gorgeous plates of veggies from Palo nightly in our room.) On our second cruise, she happened to mention this to the head waiter, and our head waiter and waiter started arranging for my mom to have some special food in the MDR on the nights she joined us. She also went through something like 2 cases of bottled water each trip.

My mom is convinced that we were only treated as well as we were because we were in the Royal. I don't know that that is completely true, but she may have something of a point.

Plus, we were traveling with 5 people (3 adults, 2 kids), and it was really, really nice to be able to spread out. We used the media room as a nursery for our little girl both trips, and it worked really well.

When we travel, we spend a fair amount of time in our room. We have a child who needs to rest in the afternoons, and a child who doesn't do well with sustained crowds, so any trip where we are often around a lot of people requires long periods of down time.

You will love it. It is totally worth the splurge, at least to us.

How was the suite?

Walt Suite was just ok, not great. We had lots of little issues happen with both the room and concierge assigned to us. The room is really showing its age with lots of things not working or broken. The shower would backup and overflow into the bathroom when using. We brought this to the staffs attention and a plumber did stop by and said it was fixed but it still overflowed into the bathroom the rest of the cruise. We just used towels on the floor to soak up water the rest of the sailing. The cold water handle on the tub was broken off and not functioning. We had issues with our concierge giving us misinformation on some stuff that we sorted out our self. Also this was our first time in a Concierge suite on a Classic ship without the Concierge lounge, which we really missed. We had very limited interaction with only Joanne our Concierge and never once did Glen even introduce himself to us even at Concierge sponsored events which we found very odd. As I mentioned we really missed the Concierge lounge and we might have set the bar to high in our minds as we get such unbelievable service on the Dream from Ashley, Angeline and Tracey who have become good friends and know our likes and dislikes because we have sailed with them many times and are usually 10 steps ahead of us. We will be sailing on the Wonder again after the Dry Dock to see if the Concierge experience is better for us. If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now I probably would have saved some money and booked a non concierge room. That said it could have just been an off sailing for them and I am not sure if Joanne was filling in for another Concierge host who was on vacation or if she is on the ship full time. I think she was filling in because the misinformation from her I would hope someone in that position on the ship full time would know.

Walt Suite was just ok, not great. We had lots of little issues happen with both the room and concierge assigned to us. The room is really showing its age with lots of things not working or broken. The shower would backup and overflow into the bathroom when using. We brought this to the staffs attention and a plumber did stop by and said it was fixed but it still overflowed into the bathroom the rest of the cruise. We just used towels on the floor to soak up water the rest of the sailing. The cold water handle on the tub was broken off and not functioning. We had issues with our concierge giving us misinformation on some stuff that we sorted out our self. Also this was our first time in a Concierge suite on a Classic ship without the Concierge lounge, which we really missed. We had very limited interaction with only Joanne our Concierge and never once did Glen even introduce himself to us even at Concierge sponsored events which we found very odd. As I mentioned we really missed the Concierge lounge and we might have set the bar to high in our minds as we get such unbelievable service on the Dream from Ashley, Angeline and Tracey who have become good friends and know our likes and dislikes because we have sailed with them many times and are usually 10 steps ahead of us. We will be sailing on the Wonder again after the Dry Dock to see if the Concierge experience is better for us. If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now I probably would have saved some money and booked a non concierge room. That said it could have just been an off sailing for them and I am not sure if Joanne was filling in for another Concierge host who was on vacation or if she is on the ship full time. I think she was filling in because the misinformation from her I would hope someone in that position on the ship full time would know.

Oh wow, I really sorry to hear that about JoAnne. I'm pretty sure she is permanent because she was on the ship in October 2015. We had Rodrigo as our primary host and he was amazing. But we did spend a lot of time speaking with JoAnne and she helped us out when Rodrigo was busy. We thought she was great also but she really didn't need to do much for us. Both of them visited with us during the nightly receptions so we got to know them both pretty well.

I'm sorry you had that experience (both with the hosts and the room). That would have disappointed me as well.

Thanks for the info. I have that room booked in June for the Alaska cruise. I certainly hope the regular concierge comes back. The things you described seem inexcusable to me. How can you have a bathroom where the shower and tub don't work properly? One quick question - Did you ever get Palo served in your room? Thx.

We have never sailed concierge but can tell you that on our Wonder sailing last Christmas our shower had a broken handle and faucet as well and serious wear and tear on the room. We sailed again in March on the wonder and had a room in better condition but that had a permanent horrible stench in the bathroom. Your situation in the Walt suite sounds completely unacceptable and I do not think your expectations were too high at all.

We had very limited interaction with only Joanne our Concierge and never once did Glen even introduce himself to us even at Concierge sponsored events which we found very odd. As I mentioned we really missed the Concierge lounge and we might have set the bar to high in our minds as we get such unbelievable service on the Dream from Ashley, Angeline and Tracey who have become good friends and know our likes and dislikes because we have sailed with them many times and are usually 10 steps ahead of us. We will be sailing on the Wonder again after the Dry Dock to see if the Concierge experience is better for us. If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now I probably would have saved some money and booked a non concierge room. That said it could have just been an off sailing for them and I am not sure if Joanne was filling in for another Concierge host who was on vacation or if she is on the ship full time. I think she was filling in because the misinformation from her I would hope someone in that position on the ship full time would know.

Wow, we had a totally different experience with them, completely opposite actually. I believe we sailed after you in late April. Joanne was our main host and Glenn the other. They both made themselves visible and available to us and to all the guests at the concierge daily receptions. We ran into them all over the ship. They just seemed to pop up here and there. We loved them and they both seemed to help all the guests, albeit they had their specific rooms, they made a great team. Maybe they had an off cruise before:confused3. Joanne and Glenn are full time but they run on contracts 4 months on 2 off etc.. something like that.

MHag - Don't quote me on this but, you may have a replacement for June. I believe Joanne told us she was on vacation in June, I can't be sure of the weeks though. She may be on the first week of June still. She then is on vacation until the last few Alaska sailings till Dry Dock. We asked because we did a dummy OBB and wanted to see if she was on the EBPC that we were thing of, so we could have her again, but we decided to wait on that due to our work schedule. Like I said above it was the complete opposite for us.

Thanks for the info. I have that room booked in June for the Alaska cruise. I certainly hope the regular concierge comes back. The things you described seem inexcusable to me. How can you have a bathroom where the shower and tub don't work properly? One quick question - Did you ever get Palo served in your room? Thx.

I am sure they will have everything fixed by then and the room is huge. Part of our issue was that when we would try to call them the first 2 days of the sailing the guest services button on the phone would go directly to guest services instead of forwarding to Joanne or Glen's wave phone as it should so that would cause a delay in the request getting to them or not getting to them at all which was frustrating. They finally figured out that the phone wasn't forwarding to them. We didn't find out about the tub until the last night when my wife went to use it. We did report that to them and they were very apologetic. Our reservations for Palo brunch didn't make it to the ship and Joanne didn't realize that Palo was serving brunch starting at 9am on our Key West day so she made us a reservation for 10:30. We went to Palo for dinner the first night and were talking to the manager who confirmed that they were serving brunch starting at 9am and moved our reservation thankfully. If they hadn't we would have had to head down to the theater to clear customs in Key West at 11 which would have only given us 30 minutes at Brunch. We also had a problem on Castaway Cay on SB with our Cabana host running very late. We waited 20 minutes at the check in hut before the Island Manger happened to stop by and actually gave us a lift to our cabana and let the staff know that we were in the Cabana and had them check us in and Joanne followed up with us on the ship about this along with several other officers. We were not the only people waiting. Again the overall experience was very good just all the little issues added up and we paid way to much money for the cruise to go through it in my opinion. It was a bucket list 1 and done Walt Suite cruise for my wife's birthday. As for having Palo in the room yes we did, it was awesome! They will serve you in stages like in the restaurant and along with the server the room service officer came with him to make sure everything was correct. We also ordered in from the main dining room as well. I am hoping we have a better experience after the Dry Dock as we have a 1 bedroom booked as I am sure we will. We did email Disney when we got back just to inform them of the issues we experienced and heard back from them promptly. In the meantime between now and the next time we are on the Wonder we have 2 B2B's booked on the Dream in 1 bedrooms and one short cruise booked also in a 1 bedroom. Yes we have a Disney problem.

Hi Waggles, Do you have any contact info/email for Ashley on the Dream? I need to send him a big thank you for his wonderful service. Thank you, Jill

Thanks again. The cruise on the Wonder in the Royal suite will be for my wife's birthday and we will be joined by her mother. We really like the fact that you can order Palo in your room! We are not drinkers so really won't miss the free pre dinner drinks that you get in the lounge on the Dream and Fantasy. We will however miss the Coffee machine in the Concierge Lounge:). The price for the Royal suite on the Wonder was a little more then the price for a one Bedroom on the Dream for the same time frame and same cruise length.

We did the Walt suite on a 5 night cruise out of Miami on the Wonder in January 2015 for my wife's 60th birthday. I think that was the first cruise where they were testing having pre-dinner(s) open bar/reception every evening in half of the Outlook Cafe. We are not coffee drinkers, but I'm pretty sure one of the perks was free specialty coffees in Cove Cafe.

DF: Palo dinner in your room is only for Royal, not all Concierge, or am I mistaken?

Last December we sailed Dream concierge and had dinner in room EVERY NIGHT. Absolutely fantastic!!!! Pick a MDR menu and order what ever. Table set, each course brought in separately with checking once or twice while eating each course by a concierge only CM. We took entire MDR tips and gave it to our CM along with extra.

Hi Waggles, Do you have any contact info/email for Ashley on the Dream? I need to send him a big thank you for his wonderful service. Thank you, Jill

Sorry I do not. Ashley is on vacation now and Danny is filling in for him on the Dream. We will be on board in 3 weeks.

I was under the impression that the sofa in the royals did not convert to a bed but that there was a Murphy behind in th room off of the master.

We stayed in the Walt Disney Suite on the Wonder and absolutely LOVED it! Palo brought to our own dining room table in the suite was fantastic. And a great way for our (10 and 8 year old children at the time) a chance to try Palo.

We (the 4 of us) stayed in the second bedroom which we had made up into one queen and then two upper twin bunks.

My parents stayed in the master bedroom which I believe was a queen. Both rooms had fabulous bathrooms and I believe there was a half bath as well.

The "library" as we called it had a full sized murphy bed. The sofa in the living room did not open into a bed (when we went a few years ago). Perhaps this will be different after dry dock.

Enjoy!

We had Glen on our Alaska cruise in early July this year (2016) and he was GREAT! We never once met or were contacted by another concierge host, although I did see a different one when debarking in one of the ports. That didn't surprise me though, as during conversation with Glen, he mentioned being the Concierge host for a certain group of rooms (I want to say he had the starboard side). So, it seemed to me (at least on the classic ships) that they don't share covering all concierge level rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter