Ruby Falls, Rock City and other attractions....

bsnyder

DIS Veteran
I was thinking of taking DD (age 9) to see some of the Chatanooga area attractions, on my way home from picking her up from camp in NC this summer.

Can anyone give me some info, on what to see and do, and how long we'd likely spend at these attractions?

I have vague recollections of going to all of them when I was a child, but that's about it....

I love Chattanoga!! I could spend all day at Rock City! I just love it! Ruby Falls only takes maybe an hour or two. There is also the huge aquarium that you could spend hours in. There is a train ride up the hill and then a battlefield...oh there is tons to do there!!!

Rock City-possibly an hour or so. It gets kinda cool walking through those rocks though, you might need a sweater.:)

Ruby Falls-depending on how long the wait is for the next tour. I'd say maybe an hour? There's not much to see. And it's pretty cool going to the falls.

The train Beth is talking about is the Incline. It's according to the wait. Near the Incline is a little area to walk to see a scenic view of Chattanooga (I believe there's a small fee, it's a small historic site, too).

The Tennessee Aquarium-it'll take you about 1-2 hours to get through there. Possibly longer.:) The IMAX is next door to it, too.:)

It's according to when you go, you might want to travel on the Southern Belle.:) It goes across the Tennessee River a little bit.:) Very relaxing.:)

If you go in June, Riverbend will be in session the first week or so, I think. Lots of music and activities.:)

I live about 30 miles or so from Chattanooga.:)

Visitors Info.:)

Thanks for the info, Beth & browneyes!

I didn't realize you were that close to Chatanooga, browneyes! I'll be there at the beginning of August...maybe we could have a DIS meet! Thanks for the link to the visitors site, I'm going to check it out!

Thanks for the info, Beth & browneyes!

I didn't realize you were that close to Chatanooga, browneyes! I'll be there at the beginning of August...maybe we could have a DIS meet! Thanks for the link to the visitors site, I'm going to check it out!

Shannon, you could finally have your first dis meet!:D I've been to all of these things, but it was about 10 years ago. I really enjoyed rock city. :D

I also love Chatanooga! It was one of the places we considered moving when we wanted to leave NJ. But Keith won out on moving somewhere warm. Here's a picture from our visit there...

fc71b6bc.jpg

Hey, a DIS meet on Lookout Mountain sounds cool. :teeth:

Bet, you're going to be passing through my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Calhoun, about 45 minutes south of Chattanooga.

If either of you are into history, there's a lot of Cherokee indian sites around the area. The Chief Vann HouseThe Chieftain's Trail website lists a lot of them. New Echota Historical Site (the last Cherokee capital) is right off I-75.

And for something more adventurous, there's always whitewater rafting on the Ocoee River. :)

Matt, I was in your stomping grounds not too long ago.:) I got my puppy in Adairsville.:) The kids and I stopped in Calhoun on the way there.:) I like the New Echota place.:) I had to go on a field trip for my Humanities class about a year and a ago. I went to New Echota and did my "report" on it.:)

Bet, if you go to Rock City, don't forget about the swinging bridge. My dd and I won't go over it. We're chickens.:teeth: It's not very far off the ground, but I get vertigo on it very easily.:o Luckily there's a way to bypass it. And! They have reindeer there, too.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter