!! Rule Number One ~ Get Out of the Way !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montana Disney Fan

<font color=blue>GAT-Master Extraordinaire<br><fon
I just got back from 11 days and 10 nights at the BWV and had a great time. We hit the parks EVERY SINGLE DAY. It was exhausting :o

Anyway, one thing I would like to see more of in the parks is a little consideration. Whenever my wife and I have problems with the kids or need to stop for whatever reason, we always pull over to the side of whatever path we are on so that those behind us can keep walking straight.

We ran into one group of about 8 who just stopped short and started looking at a map and looking around. This was on a narrow pathway at Epcot's WS (a Food & Wine Festival Kiosk made the pathway more narrow than normal). What happened next was that almost immediately there were hundreds of people all pushing and jockeying for postition with strollers trying to get by. One little child was hurt by another couples stroller. It was mayhem. This happened to us at least 5 to 10 times every single day. We both noticed it. One couple with a stroller was parked on a ramp off the curb and a handicapped older gentleman behind them couldn't get by. When he said "excuse me" they seemed put out. It was really bizarre.

All I'm saying is that us DIS'ers should set the standard and "Pull Off To The Side" when we need to stop.

Yeah, these are the same people that stop right in the middle of the walkway to have their reunion when getting off planes (a pet peeve of mine!)

My pet peeve concering walkways is the "Family of Four, Taking Up the Whole Sidewalk, Coming Right at You" syndrome. Such groups studiously ignore anyone in their way, leaving it up to you to move to the side for them. My way of handling this is to get on 'my' side of the walkway, stop and open a park map and carefully study it. All of a sudden they notice you and part like the Red Sea around you. I haven't received any comments from such groups, but I'm ready with , 'How much of this sidewalk do you precious people feel entitled to?'.

Bill From PA

Oh, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. It drives me crazy, too. People tend to do that at the malls also. It's just another inconsiderate thing people do.

I'll be another DIS'er who makes sure we pull over to the side if we need to stop for something.

Mary

Those people drive me CRAZY!. Also when they stand around in herds at the entrance to a FastPass line, waiting for their time and you can't get past!

Nothing more embarassing then when my husband has to grab my arm and yank me out of the middle of the walkway where I have absent-mindedly stopped to look around for something.

I HATE doing that! But I am quick with the "excuse me"s.

Its when a whole group does it and then looks at you like its YOUR problem as your tyring to get around them that drives me crazy.

That drives me nuts too! Especially when you're getting out of an attraction and people are trying to exit an area.

And, in a place that is OBVIOUSLY crowded people are even more in "la-la" land!! But, this does happen...everywhere!

Sometimes my dd will just stop in front of everyone and I always yank her to the side (but kids need to learn about being considerate and "in tune" to their surroundings). And, I have to say there have been plenty of heels knocked into with stroller wheels when people do this infront of us, oooopss, excuse me:p (of course I don't crash into them on purpose, but if they would just give me some "brake lights" LOL!!)

I think Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes once did a segment on this especially emphasizing the "lets stand side by side and block everybody" syndrome!:p

Originally posted by Bill From PA
'How much of this sidewalk do you precious people feel entitled to?'.
Boston's talk show host Howie Carr (WRKO 680 3-7 weekdays) calls them "beautiful people".

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

35 years ago, reading Mad Magazine. One page has scene 1, cowboys on cliff in foreground looking across canyon, one remarks "Look at all those Indians" [that's what they called those persons wearing feathers back then]. Scene 2: "Quit pushing back there" coming from afar as some of the persons in the massive crowd are shown falling from the cliff.

30 years ago, working in a department store, I hear a co-worker saying that a pet peeve was people just getting off an escalator and stopping dead. With all those other people coming up behind...

20 years ago on the beach. Someone runs a stroller over my foot! I reach down and gently pat the head of the child in the stroller.

A few months ago at WDW. I am standing still almost in the middle of nowhere. A young couple comes by, the lady passes quite near me, the man tries to squeeze between her and me despite gobs of space on the other side. I stiffen up rather than move and he gets a jolt. Is he trying to send a message to her about where to walk?

Today I am tempted to, when getting off an escalator, call out "Quit pushing back there" and a moment later rear-end stopped folks.

Count me in!!! I can't stand this...I mean, we are all on vacation just trying to have fun but then it becomes a shoving match. Everyone pushing to get through first. I will be a DISer that moves over!!

Originally posted by Montana Disney Fan
........................All I'm saying is that us DIS'ers should set the standard and "Pull Off To The Side" when we need to stop.
Well said! I wish more people had that common sense and consideration.

Sounds like you had a fabulous time anyway! :teeth:

OK....I'm not perfect, not even close.

I try to watch out for the ppl in front of me while looking at the attractions. I slow down since my normal speed is fast. I apolize when I goof up. But I don't expect the kids in front of me to know all the rules, or remember them. Actually I don't expect the adults to remember all the time.

I've seen parents who are unexpectedly distracted by what their kids are doing. I don't blame them for not thinking of me behind them.........( wouldn't that be wonderful..........everyone thinking of me!!)

So if I run into someone or someone runs into me, I don't think their bad, rude, do it on purpose. They are just trying to have as much fun as I am.

I got run over by a wheelchair once. I stopped suddenly because of ppl in front of me. I realized what happened and said sorry. The woman started yelling at me.

So, folks, if it happens, give the person the benefit of the doubt. We basically all are good ppl.

Off the soapbox

Susan

All I'm asking is that people try. The more we try, the better off the parks will be.

Oh! And yes, I did have a GREAT time. I go back for 9 nights in January. My kids are sooooo spoiled!! :)

I was in Epcot in August with my family. We were exiting mid-day (it was raining) heading towards spaceship earth near the fountain.

I was pushing my son in his stoller with the rest of my family in tow. Anyway, not until the last second, did I notice a woman and another came from my right (coming from the test track direction) and rather than stop or wait til we passed, she jumped over the front of the stroller with my son in it.
She scurried off really fast ( I assume she realized what she had done was extremely idiotic). My son was fine, but I turned to my wife and said, "did you see that?" in disbelief. I was amazed.

This is definitely a pet peeve of ours, too. Especially the people who exit/enter a store and stop dead in the doorway!! HOW can people be so oblivious?!! It drives me crazy, and I'd better stop thinking of it now, or I'll get all riled up before we leave Sat! :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I need to vent here. I wanted to say this last week on the post about strollers and wheelchairs, but held back.

I know it sounds old-fashioned, but whatever happened to manners? If people were not so self-centered this kind of problem would usually be avoided. And for the times you forget or get upset when someone else does, a simple "Excuse me" or "I'm sorry" with a smile can fix a lot.

I think Disers setting the example is a great idea, especially for our own children. Beats heck out of spoiling your own day and those in your group by getting angry and making a fool of yourself.

Whew, now I feel better...

Yes--they rank up there with the people who have to walk down THE MIDDLE of the parking lot between two rows of parked cars rather than down the left or right next to the parked cars.

Wow, zombie thread! When this thread was posted, my 12 year old was 10 months old and had just started to walk! :teeth:

It is a shame that stopping in walkways isn't any better. I'd say it's worse now, with smartphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter