Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Hey all you kids between the ages of 2 and 12, stop touching things and then touching your face”.

5 people in Disney is not the same as 50,000 people at Disney. I am not a doctor, but I’m pretttty sure germs and viruses are more likely to spread when there are 50,000 people than 5.

That’s exactly why Disney is dangerous. People will touch things. People will touch their faces. And just because you go, you don’t touch anything, you don’t touch your face, and you come home completely healthy does not mean it was a good idea for Disney to open for society as a whole.

I am incredibly hopeful that they will do the right thing and only open when it is safe and they have the right protocols in place. I am encouraged by the slow opening of Shanghai Disney and hope we see the same, measured approach here.

COVID-19 is very likely to spread at WDW when they reopen. Disney will take actions to reduce its spread, but if people aren’t compliant, and if Disney doesn’t penalize them for breaking the rules, then it won’t be a whole lot different from being at 100% capacity.

People are protesting to open up the US economy. The media keeps playing the age card and telling people it’s only bad if you’re over the age of 65. People will go to the parks and ignore the rules using the age card as an excuse.

If you go before a vaccine, protect yourself. It’s like defensive driving for your health.

Am I the only one that thinks the reason Disney hasn't cancelled for June 1st is because they aren't 100% sure themselves (probably a lot closer, but I mean, they are taking a few months into the future day by day)?

I doubt Disney is debating the precautions to take with regards to the virus at this point. They have been recommended. They have been implemented in other businesses. There is not secret about what does and does not work.

The only question they really need to answer is - can revenue at the parks be maximized enough at this point to result in a net reduction (now or in the immediate future) of the deficit they have?

I cant see June happening with an official comment like that. They still arent even denying 2021 so seems even they are not confident that it wont keep them closed that long.
Or there is an announcement coming at the earnings report tomorrow and the VP is smart enough not to jump the gun in a task force meeting. He didn't say anything that wasn't already known.

I cant see June happening with an official comment like that. They still arent even denying 2021 so seems even they are not confident that it wont keep them closed that long.
There was nothing new talked about in the discussion. There's no reason to believe they are more likely or less likely to open in June from what was said. Listen to the video- he was being pushed as was Universal for a specific opening date and wanted to make absolutely clear they were not going to reveal that today or at least in that meeting. Start at around 29:20 for the start of the theme park discussion. https://netapps.ocfl.net/Mod/meetin...AjSwKC_VoK1JdvnpkVjvk1nRYWnVUkjoHpCQKvX9-uijA

Am I the only one that thinks the reason Disney hasn't cancelled for June 1st is because they aren't 100% sure themselves (probably a lot closer, but I mean, they are taking a few months into the future day by day)?

That is what I think. FL is just starting reopenng today. They are going to watch and see what happens when this first wave of businesses reopen before making a decision on when they will open. At least that is what I'd do. If restarants opening with social distancing in place still causes a spike in cases then a place with WDW would likely want to take a step back. If all the new measures being put in place let restaurans reopen and cases are flat or decling then they can announce a date and get ready. But he numbers the next 2 weeks are going to be critical IMO to what happens with WDW and really all theme parks

Fact: Disney is closed indefinitely. Much of the country is still closed and many states don't have a firm date to reopen (mine included). When Disney started taking reservations for June 1, that was probably their best guess at that time. Nothing more. Besides, being open for reservations gets them deposit money. Anybody who is being realistic knows that this situation is very fluid and that anything can change. To those who are concerned about the last minute nature of a June trip, rebook now. That's what I did. IMO keeping a June reservation at this point means you must be willing to take it as it comes and be ready to cancel and make changes. Disney will announce plans when they know what is safe. Truth be told, the country is still largely in lock down or is barely emerging from lock down. I'm sure Disney will wait to see how Covid explodes (or doesn't) once restrictions are lifted and THEN make a decision on reopening. Right now, today, there are still too many unknowns. I have a late July trip and a backup late August trip booked right now. I am hopeful I will be able to take one of those. There is nothing I can do but wait. Disney doesn't owe anyone an explanation or an answer sooner than they have one. To speak before the picture is clear would be meaningless, which is why they didn't announce a June reopening. Taking reservations does not mean they will be open... it just means that months ago they hoped to maybe be open.

I wonder, from a logistics and PR standpoint, just how close they will have to get to June before cancelling June reservations? I mean - what is Universal doing? It wouldn't be great press if Disney waited until 2 days out from someone's reservation to cancel it from under them...right? Or does that even matter anymore? I don't know - genuinely. How close to the end date can they get before they cancel out?

Really close. They only gave 3 days notice for April 1st.

The opening date will be June 1 until the last possible moment to prevent the stock price from taking more of a hit. If they are planning to change the date, why have the stock price go down now when you can wait until the last possible moment. In the grand scheme of things, stock price outweighs goodwill.

I think they should only reopen to Florida residents first for about a month then to out of state the following month. Not sure what to do about international travelers.

Opening to just Florida residents won't generate the sort of revenue WDW would need to make opening the parks worth it. It's more than just being able to open the parks - will the people who book comprehensive packages that allow them to maximize profits fly to Florida?

I think they should only reopen to Florida residents first for about a month then to out of state the following month. Not sure what to do about international travelers.

International can’t come yet anyways. I’m going to guess that Disney is probably willing to have us before we can or are willing to go anyways.

I think out of state will somewhat self regulate too, to a lesser degree.

The opening date will be June 1 until the last possible moment to prevent the stock price from taking more of a hit. If they are planning to change the date, why have the stock price go down now when you can wait until the last possible moment. In the grand scheme of things, stock price outweighs goodwill.

This. I'm fully expecting another last minute announcement. I think anything that comes out of tomorrow's calls will be minimal.

The optics of reopening WDW is challenging. How do you tell Disney that they can reopen WDW at 50% capacity and tell retailers that they can’t be at 100% capacity?

Disney gets even more complicated because tthey have retail and restuantts in the parks and resorts. If you limit park capacity to 50% but to comply with guidelines have restaurants at 25% how is that going to work?

Disney gets even more complicated because tthey have retail and restuantts in the parks and resorts. If you limit park capacity to 50% but to comply with guidelines have restaurants at 25% how is that going to work?
When FL reaches the qualification for the parks to be open then the restaurants and bars will be open indoor at 75% capacity.

Opening to just Florida residents won't generate the sort of revenue WDW would need to make opening the parks worth it. It's more than just being able to open the parks - will the people who book comprehensive packages that allow them to maximize profits fly to Florida?

It would be the best soft open option though. Also the best option for keeping the spread of CoViD to just locally/in state.

And how do you manage people going in and out of the retail stores on Main St?

I think, retail and restaurants have to be open at 100% capacity before WDW opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter