Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about people that have resort reservations but don’t plan on getting tickets until they know they’re definitely going to be able to go on the trip ? So they have to do a “straight reservation”, and what if they get nothing? Disney is going to tell you “too bad”? They’d have a lot of cancelled resort reservations, and in unsure times like we’re in with people afraid of traveling, and of course money issues, does Disney want to risk that people are going to flock to their hotels on short notice rather than have guaranteed money from current room reservations?

They could make a certain number of reservations reserved just for people in resorts. APs and single ticket reservations come from a separate pool. There are ways to make it work.

They could make a certain number of reservations reserved just for people in resorts. APs and single ticket reservations come from a separate pool. There are ways to make it work.

Im not saying a reservation system cant work, I think it could. But theres a lot of obstacles to climb. Disney cant satisfy everyone, and its going to inevitably make a group of people upset no matter how they re-open. I think theyre going to try and minimize the amount of people they upset as much as they can. The reservation system’s biggest push on the positive side would be minimizing the amount of people they deny at the game. Most will know they didnt get a spot at a certain park before they even waste their time trying to go and get denied at the gate. But it might not even come down to that, they might not even have enough to fill 25% capacity with the amount of people that dont go. Like with Galaxys Edge in California, everyone assumed it was going to packed and it turned out not to be the case for many weeks. Maybe people will think that because its been closed for so long everyone is going to rush there to get their fix, and the opposite happens because everyone thinks that

Im not saying a reservation system cant work, I think it could. But theres a lot of obstacles to climb. Disney cant satisfy everyone, and its going to inevitably make a group of people upset no matter how they re-open. I think theyre going to try and minimize the amount of people they upset as much as they can. The reservation system’s biggest push on the positive side would be minimizing the amount of people they deny at the game. Most will know they didnt get a spot at a certain park before they even waste their time trying to go and get denied at the gate. But it might not even come down to that, they might not even have enough to fill 25% capacity with the amount of people that dont go. Like with Galaxys Edge in California, everyone assumed it was going to packed and it turned out not to be the case for many weeks. Maybe people will think that because its been closed for so long everyone is going to rush there to get their fix, and the opposite happens because everyone thinks that

I think turning people away at the gate is the worst thing and the think that would get them the most people upset.

With limited capacity you are never going to be able to please everybody. I think something were people know early on that are not getting in that day is better then turning people away at the gate. While reservations can be done furthur in advance then BG it isn't unlike BG system. You know in the morning you are not getting on ROTR and can now plan your day based on that. Earlier people know they cannot get in the park of their choice on a certain day the better.

Yes there are lots of obstacles but there are obstacles in every single thing every theme park and even every business is going to have to do right now. In practical terms, every single business has to assume every person that walks through their door is infected and they need to do everything they can to make sure they don't spread it to others. It is going to be a massive challenge for everybody. Just no way around that.

Limiting capacity absolutely has to be part of that to maintain social distancing. How you limit that capacity is the question and there is not an answer that everybody is going to like. I think the reservations make sense since people know in advance what the status is. I would do something where you take resort reservations for the day and split them in some capacity between the parks that are open (with some buffer built in but not enough where resort guests can take all the slots in any single park) so all resort guests can go to *A* park if they want. The remaining capacity is then available for non-report guests or resort guests that want to change parks. And it may be that the limits are really not limits because people don't want to come. You would need to figure out timing windows for when different groups can get reservations.

It is complicated but everything right now will be.

I think turning people away at the gate is the worst thing and the think that would get them the most people upset.

With limited capacity you are never going to be able to please everybody. I think something were people know early on that are not getting in that day is better then turning people away at the gate. While reservations can be done furthur in advance then BG it isn't unlike BG system. You know in the morning you are not getting on ROTR and can now plan your day based on that. Earlier people know they cannot get in the park of their choice on a certain day the better.

Yes there are lots of obstacles but there are obstacles in every single thing every theme park and even every business is going to have to do right now. In practical terms, every single business has to assume every person that walks through their door is infected and they need to do everything they can to make sure they don't spread it to others. It is going to be a massive challenge for everybody. Just no way around that.

Limiting capacity absolutely has to be part of that to maintain social distancing. How you limit that capacity is the question and there is not an answer that everybody is going to like. I think the reservations make sense since people know in advance what the status is. I would do something where you take resort reservations for the day and split them in some capacity between the parks that are open (with some buffer built in but not enough where resort guests can take all the slots in any single park) so all resort guests can go to *A* park if they want. The remaining capacity is then available for non-report guests or resort guests that want to change parks. And it may be that the limits are really not limits because people don't want to come. You would need to figure out timing windows for when different groups can get reservations.

I think your premise is dead on, but that’s why I think instead of reservations, the first couple of weeks will be resorts only. That way WDW can know the number of guests and regulate them much easier than even if they allow in APs. And i think they’ll have a real issue if they dont allow resort guests in.

The task force says 50% capacity. And I don't think you realize that's actually quite a bit of people. For the Magic Kingdom, 50% capacity is about 50,000 people. That's JUST the Magic Kingdom.

You are acting like a huge number of people are going to get denied. I don't think so. I don't think Disney will have much trouble with those capacity limits for awhile.

The task force says 50% capacity. And I don't think you realize that's actually quite a bit of people. For the Magic Kingdom, 50% capacity is about 50,000 people. That's JUST the Magic Kingdom.

You are acting like a huge number of people are going to get denied. I don't think so. I don't think Disney will have much trouble with those capacity limits for awhile.

I do realize 50% capacity is a lot of people. I also know 50% capacity won't allow 6 feet distancing so I don't think that will be opening capacity caps. Just because they can do 50% doesn't mean they will or should.

If WDW is open, DVC will be too and will be allowed access. DVC is a 98% occupancy, points based system. All those deferred points from the shutdown have nowhere to go - by design the rooms are booked up already going forward. It’s going to jam up the DVC system for years and that, by word of mouth, will impact sales.

At this point, for TWDC, getting DVC points back into use and stopping the logjam thats going to severely stress that system and more the longer it goes on - is at least as important as making money on the parks themselves. For at least the DVC component of visitors, the parks being open is almost a loss leader in protecting future Riviera and upcoming Reflection sales.

DVC members in the parks means burning points that won’t further jam the system down the road.

That’s even moreso considering the overall economic impact related to the pandemic. If DVC is managing both a recession and bad word of mouth about the points fiasco, that’s gonna impact what they otherwise consider a lifeline for economic downturns (a built-in audience).

Last edited:
I do realize 50% capacity is a lot of people. I also know 50% capacity won't allow 6 feet distancing so I don't think that will be opening capacity caps. Just because they can do 50% doesn't mean they will or should.
Agreed. They can control the amount of people they let through the gates, but they aren't really going to be able to control how they interact once they go through them. Sure, they can recommend and encourage social distancing, but there are certain areas where it's practically impossible, so people will just assume those risks. I thought the same thing when movie theaters were restricting capacity to 50% or less. Sure, you can sell 100 tickets to a 200 seat theater, but how are you going to prevent those 100 people from sitting in the same 4-5 rows?

Agreed. They can control the amount of people they let through the gates, but they aren't really going to be able to control how they interact once they go through them. Sure, they can recommend and encourage social distancing, but there are certain areas where it's practically impossible, so people will just assume those risks. I thought the same thing when movie theaters were restricting capacity to 50% or less. Sure, you can sell 100 tickets to a 200 seat theater, but how are you going to prevent those 100 people from sitting in the same 4-5 rows?

Yes there will be risks always. However, limiting capacity of how many people enter the park is one of the biggest things that any park can do and I think all are going to do so.

There are a lot of things theme parks like disney can do and they should do them.

A theater is not a theme park. There are theaters in theme parks though (say CoP) and in those areas CMs will and should make sure everybody isn't in the same 4-5 rows.

Yes there will be risks always. However, limiting capacity of how many people enter the park is one of the biggest things that any park can do and I think all are going to do so.

There are a lot of things theme parks like disney can do and they should do them.

A theater is not a theme park. There are theaters in theme parks though (say CoP) and in those areas CMs will and should make sure everybody isn't in the same 4-5 rows.
My movie theater reference was not to compare it to a theme park, but just an example of how limiting capacity doesn't guarantee social distancing, although it greatly improved the odds of it based on pure numbers. But human behavior is the variable. You can pretty much guarantee that the number of people lining up for the barnstormer is probably less than those waiting for 7DMT, that crowds at restaurants and food kiosksare going to be much higher during the "usual" eating times, and that bathroom lines are a crapshoot (no pun intended). Limiting the numbers through the gates is certainly one way to lower the odds of people crowding together, but not for the favorite and more popular attractions. Disney SHOULD do what they can to lower the risks, but the enforcement of those policies, as we all know, is going to be hit or miss. Will be interesting to see how things evolve and play out, that's for sure.

My movie theater reference was not to compare it to a theme park, but just an example of how limiting capacity doesn't guarantee social distancing, although it greatly improved the odds of it based on pure numbers. But human behavior is the variable. You can pretty much guarantee that the number of people lining up for the barnstormer is probably less than those waiting for 7DMT, that crowds at restaurants and food kiosksare going to be much higher during the "usual" eating times, and that bathroom lines are a crapshoot (no pun intended). Limiting the numbers through the gates is certainly one way to lower the odds of people crowding together, but not for the favorite and more popular attractions. Disney SHOULD do what they can to lower the risks, but the enforcement of those policies, as we all know, is going to be hit or miss. Will be interesting to see how things evolve and play out, that's for sure.

Limiting numbers through the gate is only one thing to change. Lots of others willl need to change as well.

thete are a lot of things that Disney can do done and should be done. liminting capacity is one but far from the last.

Presumably if they went with a reservation system it would be one park per day only I would guess? No hopping.
I say no due to park hopper tickets, otherwise they’d have to offer refunds. I think they’d let you do all of WDW or at least 2 parks.

Personally I think we’ll just see normal capacity procedures enacted sooner- although they might need to be modified to protect onsite guest trips over APs in the final closure stages if local APs flood the parks.

I agree, too. We have a trip in late June coming from out of state. I'd much rather know in advance, before we get there, that we wouldn't have access to the parks due to limited capacity than to show up at the gate and be denied entry. Sure I'd be bummed that I'd have to cancel/reschedule my trip, but I'd understand based on the current situation and the need for safety. If I was already there, forked out all of that $$, but was then denied entry, then I'd definitely be upset.

People social distance at movie theaters to begin with. If you’ve ever been to a half filled showing, people aren’t looking to sit anywhere near strangers. Hell, I’ve gone with friends where we keep a seat between us. I’ve never been to a showing that wasn’t busy where I’m looking to sit on top of someone I don’t know. With all of these concerns, and limited capacity, I don’t think movie theaters are a concern for people putting themselves in a position where they could potentially get sick.

At the theme parks, you’ll get people that are cautious and avoid close distance to anyone, even if they’re wearing a mask, and then you’ll get people that don’t care and stand right behind you breathing on your neck. That’s something that goes on now at grocery stores, Walmart’s, Target’s, etc where people just don’t care about distancing, with or without masks

Does anyone know what China's guidelines are currently for businesses reoopening?

Also, that second tweet looks like someone just google translated a chinese tweet. Very hard to read.

Businesses and schools have reopened for those with green codes.

In China, everyone has a WeChat app on their phone. It is used not only for messaging other users and as a social platform, it’s also used to pay for anything at a store, to use public transportation, and is pretty much the only way to buy train tickets if you are a Chinese citizen. As tourists, we used WeChat to message others in our party, but we could not attach money to our accounts, so we had to stand in special lines to pay for everything.

Given the amount of information the WeChat app can assemble, it is not a huge jump to see how they can determine if the user has been close, down to the train, of someone who has been diagnosed with COVID19. That’s how they can come up with the green/orange/red health codes. We cannot do that type of contact tracing in the US.

NPR did a segment yesterday with a movie theater CEO here, and they are accounting for just such a thing. Since they already do reserved seating ticketing (as do many theaters these days), they've adapted their purchasing app/site to black out seats within X feet of already-purchased seats. Lots of other measures they've thought of too.

Businesses and schools have reopened for those with green codes.

In China, everyone has a WeChat app on their phone. It is used not only for messaging other users and as a social platform, it’s also used to pay for anything at a store, to use public transportation, and is pretty much the only way to buy train tickets if you are a Chinese citizen. As tourists, we used WeChat to message others in our party, but we could not attach money to our accounts, so we had to stand in special lines to pay for everything.

Given the amount of information the WeChat app can assemble, it is not a huge jump to see how they can determine if the user has been close, down to the train, of someone who has been diagnosed with COVID19. That’s how they can come up with the green/orange/red health codes. We cannot do that type of contact tracing in the US.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know WeChat was anything more than a chat service. I really hope we never end up with anything like that in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter