• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumor about potential major reduction in operating hours for WDW if Disney Asia parks remain closed due to coronavirus

Just to echo rteetz, WDW employs over 77,000 cast members and Disneyland over 32,000 cast members. I could not find a break down, but my guess is the majority are not considered full time and even a slight cut in hours will be a severe impact. So I ask anyone on this forum, would YOU want to be the one to make this call????

A huge part of our economy here in Fl is due to tourism. It’s not just the Orlando area. There’s all the beach cities on both coasts, Tampa, Miami, and the Keys- all heavily reliant on tourists, not to mention the income generated from the cruise lines. Closing WDW would have a ripple affect across all of central Fl. Plenty of people tack on a Legoland, beach, or Bush Gardens/Tampa visit to their Disney/Universal visit. If enough tourists stay away from Fl, it will have long-lasting negative economic effects. Thousands will lose hours at work, if they remain employed. We are also one of the states that provides the least help to impoverished people, for mental health, and endangered children- and all of these areas would need more help in a recession.

I’d also imagine that Disney representatives serve on FL emergency management task forces for this reason, and that they wouldn’t make a big decision like full closure independent of those conversations. They might have agreed to some pre-determined trigger moment (number of cases, density of clusters, executive action by the governor) that sets everything into motion. I agree, though, that a majority of Disney executive time right now is being spent on crisis management plans.

I keep thinking - France - with a smaller area and double the cases is still not closed.
That will be the first indicator in my opinion

At some point everyone is going to reach a decision point. The NBA, MLS, NHL, NCAA, And MLB have all made decisions or will be soon and large companies are looking into social distancing by having employees work from home. CFA is considering all HQ employees work from home and having the restaurants be driev through only. So Im pretty sure a company as large as Disney has already established guidelines for level 1, 2 and 3 responses. There is a HUGE impact financially to the economy based on decisions the companies and organizations make and they dont take those lightly. The effect on employees and the overall income levels and revenue are going to be taken into consideration when decisions are made.

I expect closures soon. But if not, Disney needs to rapidly address the morning procedures for HS/ROTR. The amount of clustered people goes against current recommendations.

But people are still choosing to go and put themselves in that position. Shouldn't they be a little more self aware?

I expect closures soon. But if not, Disney needs to rapidly address the morning procedures for HS/ROTR. The amount of clustered people goes against current recommendations.

Aren't ALL of the Disney attractions falling within that group though?

Whether its waiting on a single file line inside Peter Pan's flight, walking amongst the crowds 10-20 people deep across Main Street or crammed into one of the Mission Space modules (that will not be sanitized after each and every ride) it makes no difference.

It is a lot of people, all in one place. The whole idea of any amusement or water park goes completely against any kind of pandemic containment outline.

It's gotta be an all or nothing decision. Hand santizers and hand washing stations will not stop the spread in the air or on all of the surfaces throughout the park. Putting lipstick on a pig.

But people are still choosing to go and put themselves in that position. Shouldn't they be a little more self aware?

At some point Disney has to look out for the best interests of their guests. It's like leaving the park open during a hurricane or a rash of sinkholes turning up around the parks. Oh well. People are still coming - might as well leave it open...

At some point Disney has to look out for the best interests of their guests. It's like leaving the park open during a hurricane or a rash of sinkholes turning up around the parks. Oh well. People are still coming - might as well leave it open...
Just curious, not being argumentative, but, are you likening this to:
Mom: Dont touch the iron its hot ( Expecting some level of self responsibility)
Kid: Touches the iron and gets burned
OR
Mom takes the iron out of the childs reach to keep them from making a bad decision

It seems the "looking our for guests" part is missing lately -- (ride closures, no maintenance, cut meet and greets, cut hours, more upcharge, etc...)..
Disney is looking out for shareholders.

This will be a purely looking our for Disney situation. They will do it based on risk of financial loss. When the lawsuit, PR, cost to get back up and running before it is too late cost outweighs the return loss from closing they will do it. When guests stop coming by fear, then they will do it. Operating cost will be more that income.

It isnt about employees... that has been well established in their pay structures.

This will come down to a decision of money vs law vs moral... money wins in today's society.

Just to echo rteetz, WDW employs over 77,000 cast members and Disneyland over 32,000 cast members.
Do those cast members get paid sick leave?

I'd hate to think of cast members showing up to work with the coronavirus, because they can't otherwise pay their bills.

Do those cast members get paid sick leave?

I'd hate to think of cast members showing up to work with the coronavirus, because they can't otherwise pay their bills.
I know it is a diff. company (government) but when the shutdown happened there then employees were SOL.
I really think most our hourly. No hours =No pay

I know it is a diff. company (government) but when the shutdown happened there then employees were SOL.
The government shutdown was different because getting paid required congress and the President to agree on a bill. The workers unfortunately couldn't legally be paid while it was going on.

My SIL works for the federal government. She received back pay when they started running again.

The government shutdown was different because getting paid required congress and the President to agree on a bill. The workers unfortunately couldn't legally be paid while it was going on.
Point being - when stuff is closed more often then not.. much more often (beach shops that close in summer, golf courses / construction compaines that close for weather, when a hurricane hits a town) employees are the ones that suffer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter