Rumor about potential major reduction in operating hours for WDW if Disney Asia parks remain closed due to coronavirus

I’m in the Hudson valley about 90 min north of NYC, and local high school sponsored WDW trip for graduating seniors over spring break is likely being cancelled from what I hear. I think a lot of organized events for kids like this will be canceled. The schools are going to be cautious

I wonder if WDW and DLR are seeing a lot of cancellations.

We've canceled our cruise out of caution.
A cruise is one of the few trips I would cancel right now. The risk of getting stuck on a ship for a week or more past your return date just isn't really appealing. Plus, some ports of call are refusing entry to cruise ships. So unless you enjoy extra days at sea, it just really isn't an attractive option right now.

A cruise is one of the few trips I would cancel right now. The risk of getting stuck on a ship for a week or more past your return date just isn't really appealing. Plus, some ports of call are refusing entry to cruise ships. So unless you enjoy extra days at sea, it just really isn't an attractive option right now.
thats precisely why we canceled ours. Seems like the majority of cruise lines are being very accommodating right now with cancellations and re bookings.

Would this be any different than the flu? I am sure numerous people have gotten sick at Disney but they don't close for that. I know I have gotten sick after a Disney trip. Not the flu but still.

Assume ONLY 1 person with the regular Flu enters a Disney park with a total of 40k people in attendance. Thought the day they spread the virus to 1% of the people in the park so 400 people.

The regular flu CFR is .13% to .02% (CDC number for US)
Disney takes an assumed risk that 1 person with the regular Flu enters the park puts .52 to .08 of a single person at risk of death.

Now for the same scenario with COVID which current CFR 3.7% to .6% (Italy/China to South Korea)
Disney is taking an assumed risk that 14.8 to 2.4 people will die (not immediately) because 1 sick person enters the park.

So best case scenario the Disney PR will pitch is comparing the worst flu vs best case COVID we are looking at a MINIMUM of 4.6 times the risk of death based on ONE sick person entering a SINGLE park. Now for worse case scenario that the Disney lawyers will worry about internally comparing the typical flu vs worse case COVID they are looking at 185 times the risk of death based on ONE sick person entering a SINGLE park.

I have no doubt that is something Disney legal is uncomfortable with enough that they are pushing for reducing this risk. Now maybe the bean counters could satisfy legal by reducing the risk enough by stepping up cleaning on everything (thinking of the miles of hand rails resort wide), refusing anyone in a park with a fever and limiting the park attendance with phase 1 closure for walk up guests & CM passes. That may be good enough to reduce the risk to an acceptable level. What seems logical to me though it the current risk is not worth taking these further simple actions at a minimum.

Same goes for the Tampa Airport. A person who went elsewhere and tested positive went through the airport, got on a plane, etc etc. So is the Airport held accountable because someone sick used the airport?

typically airports are run by municipal and county governments. They would be protected under the doctrine of sovereign immunity.

Same here! I also rented points through DVC Rental Store for the polynesian 5/9-5/16. I haven't even contacted them but I believe you, i re-read the contract and it clearly states the DVC member is not responsible:
"The DVC Rental Store or the Member shall not be responsible for any injuries, damages, or losses caused to the Renter or Renter's travel party in connection with terrorist activities, social, or labor unrest, mechanical or construction failures or difficulties, diseases, local laws, climatic conditions, criminal acts or abnormal conditions or developments, or any other actions, omissions, or conditions outside the DVC Rental Store's or the Member's control"
I actually just paid my trip off in full 3 weeks ago and added the dining plan. I really wish I waited. I'm feeling so sick over potentially losing all that money. I don't think I would rent points again either way. This is way to stressful. And I did buy travel insurance to protect myself but of course closures due to corona virus are not covered.
I really feel for you. My second payment to the DVC rental store is due on the 10th of April and all I can do is hope there is a clearer picture about whether or not the parks will be open as I don't want to throw more money at them that I'll never get back, but if I don't pay them and the parks end up staying open I'll have wasted all that money and have no recourse.

I emailed my agent at the DVC rental store and asked them to show compassion and allow the date of the second payment to be moved if it was still not clear what was happening in early April and even that they said no too. The agent even had the cheek to ask whether I wanted to add the new Disney dining plan!

I really feel like they have me, you and all the others in our position over a barrel and even if (cross fingers) everything all works out OK I will never do business with them again. This policy of theirs that allows them and the owner to keep our money even if Disney refunds the points to them, so that they can profit from selling the same points twice is unethical.

I did buy travel insurance from where I live (in New Zealand) but they have invoked an epidemic exclusion - but that's a different battle!!

All we can do is hope that everything works out for us 🤞

I really feel like they have me, you and all the others in our position over a barrel and even if (cross fingers) everything all works out OK I will never do business with them again. This policy of theirs that allows them and the owner to keep our money even if Disney refunds the points to them, so that they can profit from selling the same points twice is unethical.

How do you know Disney is refunding the points? Last I heard there were no special exceptions for the current rules on points.

I would not assume they are going to be able to resell or make any additional money off those points.

How do you know Disney is refunding the points? Last I heard there were no special exceptions for the current rules on points.

I would not assume they are going to be able to resell or make any additional money off those points.
I think the point is IF DVC resorts close and the points are returned to the DVC members it would be pretty bad business practice for companies like DVC rental store to not refund their clients. However, if the the parks close and resorts stay open, which may well happen I wouldn’t expect a refund. I think we are all just worried and running through potential scenarios.

I really feel for you. My second payment to the DVC rental store is due on the 10th of April and all I can do is hope there is a clearer picture about whether or not the parks will be open as I don't want to throw more money at them that I'll never get back, but if I don't pay them and the parks end up staying open I'll have wasted all that money and have no recourse.

I emailed my agent at the DVC rental store and asked them to show compassion and allow the date of the second payment to be moved if it was still not clear what was happening in early April and even that they said no too. The agent even had the cheek to ask whether I wanted to add the new Disney dining plan!

I did buy travel insurance from where I live (in New Zealand) but they have invoked an epidemic exclusion - but that's a different battle!!

All we can do is hope that everything works out for us 🤞
Thanks! so do I!

Question. Could Disney be held legally liable if someone caught the virus from their parks? As in, they had large outbreaks in the area of the parks, CM's had tested positive, and they chose to NOT close the parks and/ or ignored pressing data that was leading one to believe that they were knowingly putting guests at risk of illness. Thoughts? Just something I have been pondering as I watch/ read the news. I also wonder if an organization who held a large sporting event/ conference could be held liable if there turned out to be an outbreak associated with that event.
God I hope not. Wash your hands and stop touching your face.

And maybe the person picked it up in Walmart.

And no one is forcing anyone to go to Disney.

Wash your hands. Can’t say this enough.

In my opinion Disney is being a very responsible citizen for not caving into the hyped panic. People seem to think that if Disney closes for this they will loose money so they are being greedy and staying open.

If Disney were to shut down for this it could devastate countless business & industry in central Florida. And likely the repercussions of this will be felt everywhere. If something as major as Disney were to shut down tourist areas all over would feel pressure to close as well.

Disney has proved they will shut down if warranted. Think weather, 9/11.

Wash your hands, stop touching your face, stay home if sick, and for god’s sake stop buying up all the masks so our health care workers stay safe.

In my opinion Disney is being a very responsible citizen for not caving into the hyped panic. People seem to think that if Disney closes for this they will loose money so they are being greedy and staying open.

If Disney were to shut down for this it could devastate countless business & industry in central Florida. And likely the repercussions of this will be felt everywhere. If something as major as Disney were to shut down tourist areas all over would feel pressure to close as well.

Disney has proved they will shut down if warranted. Think weather, 9/11.

Wash your hands, stop touching your face, stay home if sick, and for god’s sake stop buying up all the masks so our health care workers stay safe.
I must have missed all the hype panic calling for Disney to close their parks and resorts right now. With a rare exception the conversation has been about what Disney would do if the situation would get much worse than what we are currently facing.

The thread on the other board is people basically responding to the OP. That OP is a bit over the top with this. I can't even read that thread any more. We need to be rational and realize the most people who are healthy will not be very sick if they show symptoms at all. Experts have said that we may never really know how many people had or have the virus so a death rate is not accurate. If people do not feel sick or believe they just have a cold then they are not going to have a test done. If you are in the groups that can be severely affected by this virus then you need to be extra vigilant and avoid crowds per the doctors. I am doing watchful waiting and not watching the news but listening to the infectious disease doctors. I have a trip in May with DVC rental points. I did buy the points protection. But, I also realize I have a signed contract with them. If Disney is open, and I suspect it will be, I am going. I also believe that if Disney does close, they will refund the points to the owners who will then either refund the money or see if you can arrange for another rental at a time further out. At this point people need to remain calm and get reliable information from sources other than the fear mongering media.

I must have missed all the hype panic calling for Disney to close their parks and resorts right now. With a rare exception the conversation has been about what Disney would do if the situation would get much worse than what we are currently facing.
I know. I was at the gym reading many posts on different boards and on social media.

I don't know that for sure. I'm just thinking through what I believe would happen in the event of an extended park closure. I think Disney would look after their DVC owners.

A 21 year old hospitalized woman here in St. Louis has just been confirmed as Missouri first case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter