• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RUMOR: Disney Vacation Club Considering Paid Member Perks Program

It depends..say part of it It was an exclusive card that gave you 20% off dining instead on 10%. That would be worth it for us…like TIW, but for DVC only.

There are plenty of things they can do that might work well

Or more likely, they keep the existing dining and merchandise discount, charge you $ for it to remain the same and cut it in half for the free perks. They aren't going to give away more $ off their bottom line.

Or more likely, they keep the existing dining and merchandise discount, charge you $ for it to remain the same and cut it in half for the free perks. They aren't going to give away more $ off their bottom line.

Of course that’s possible as well.

i am just saying there are ways fo enhance perks that make a fee worth it for some people if that is the something they decide to do.

For example, it includes a DVC only TIW. You now get 20% off meals and drinks.

That could actually make more money by offering the higher discount. Instead of someone buyingone $16 drink with no discount, they may by two because of a discount. Disney still makes out because a guest spent $25 instead of only $16. Or they do two sit downs instead one one per trip.

Why I said it will all depend what a paid membership looks like.

Last edited:
I agree. Disney will not sell anything that we come out ahead. They will make a killing and we won’t get the value out of what we paid. They hope we pay $100 but only get $50 of value.

It depends..say part of it It was an exclusive card that gave you 20% off dining instead on 10%. That would be worth it for us…like TIW, but for DVC only.

There are plenty of things they can do that might work well
We used to buy TIW but then they removed restaurants from the list and we couldn’t come out ahead anymore. Just like the dining plan. Pay a lot up front and have to eat way too much or steak at every meal to get value out of it. I’m a little salty about Disney now. We have a lot of points with hopes to enjoy long stays in retirement and I’m just not feeling excited about going like I used to, but we did enjoy our trip in December.

I have zero faith that current leadership does anything in the best interest of guests or DVC members. Even if a plan looks pretty good out of the gate, really this is about setting in motion the idea of paying for perks for DVC. The first year or two might be very appealing with modest prices and nice looking perks, but eventually perks we enjoy now for free get rolled into the paid tier, perks get a tiny bit worse each year, and prices in the paid tier get raised each year. It's either just the Genie+ model for DVC where, in say 5 years, we come to pay for things we enjoy now for free or it becomes an expensive terrible value that makes no sense for all but the wealthiest.

We used to buy TIW but then they removed restaurants from the list and we couldn’t come out ahead anymore. Just like the dining plan. Pay a lot up front and have to eat way too much or steak at every meal to get value out of it. I’m a little salty about Disney now. We have a lot of points with hopes to enjoy long stays in retirement and I’m just not feeling excited about going like I used to, but we did enjoy our trip in December.

Each persons situation is different though so while you may not of come out ahead with TIW, plenty of people did and why it was selling right up until closure.

I agree that Disney never offers discounts that don’t benefit them. That is true..but they do offer them, which means they know how to create a situation that still makes them money.
Of course DIsney only does things to make more money..I know that.

Just saying it could end up being seen by some of us will still find it worth it.

Last edited:
There is so much drama in this thread. I love the passion. Lol.

Every subscription/loyalty service you sign up for is set up where some people get the value out of it each month (or year) and the rest don't for whatever reason. Most subscription services are used heavily in the beginning and then over time the service is used less and less.

There is so much drama in this thread. I love the passion. Lol.

Every subscription/loyalty service you sign up for is set up where some people get the value out of it each month (or year) and the rest don't for whatever reason. Most subscription services are used heavily in the beginning and then over time the service is used less and less.

I can vouch for that with my amc Alist. The amount of decent movies in a month is very limited.

Can't imagine Disney doing ANYTHING for only $100 per year. Not trying to be a spoil sport.

That's very true.

At the same time, it's hard to know what number(s) make sense.

MOST DVC members come probably once a year. Some might come every other year. Some might come a couple times a year. Then, there is a smaller amount of people who are lucky enough to live close enough that 3+ trips per year is feasible. But, the large majority, we are going to say go once a year.

If they made the perks program $500 a year....I don't know that very many people would think it is worth the money for a single trip. And, I am not sure it would be worth it to institute a program that a minimal number of people would use, unless it is priced much much higher.

That's very true.

At the same time, it's hard to know what number(s) make sense.

MOST DVC members come probably once a year. Some might come every other year. Some might come a couple times a year. Then, there is a smaller amount of people who are lucky enough to live close enough that 3+ trips per year is feasible. But, the large majority, we are going to say go once a year.

If they made the perks program $500 a year....I don't know that very many people would think it is worth the money for a single trip. And, I am not sure it would be worth it to institute a program that a minimal number of people would use, unless it is priced much much higher.
You make an excellent point. It will be interesting to see if the rumor pans out. There are a lot of complications to this concept.

Agreed for us. Even the annual pass perk was only worth it sometimes for us as we typically go once a year.

Can't imagine Disney doing ANYTHING for only $100 per year. Not trying to be a spoil sport.

TIW was only $150 a year and you got 20% off food and drinks.

So, I could see them offering something like that. For $100/yr and now you get not only the 10% of TS but additional 10% off at QS locations too

Since we already get the TS discount, it’s not that much more to include QS places.

It may not be much but I think if they want to, they can find some simple things for $100/yr and still not lose out.

But, I agree it’s more likely they will charge more.

TIW was only $150 a year and you got 20% off food and drinks.

So, I could see them offering something like that. For $100/yr and now you get not only the 10% of TS but additional 10% off at QS locations too

Since we already get the TS discount, it’s not that much more to include QS places.

It may not be much but I think if they want to, they can find some simple things for $100/yr and still not lose out.

But, I agree it’s more likely they will charge more.

I can see them dropping the 7 month window down to 6 months. Those willing to pay the $100 get the benefit of reserving 1 month earlier, the 7 month window. This would be a close to $0 cost to DVC. I’d bet a majority of members wanting to stay at another resort will pay the $100/Yr.

I can see them dropping the 7 month window down to 6 months. Those willing to pay the $100 get the benefit of reserving 1 month earlier, the 7 month window. This would be a close to $0 cost to DVC. I’d bet a majority of members wanting to stay at another resort will pay the $100/Yr.

I don’t think that can legally be done because the rules for booking that BVTC makes can be different by resort, but I don’t think they can amend. them based on how you get points. At one point in time, I thought maybe, but the more I learn, the more I lean toward it nit surfing a challenge.

Now they can definitely charge a fee for trades, but those with direct points get it waived because DVD agrees to cover that fee as part of a paid incentive program.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter