Rumor of Tower of Terror Retheme Brings Playful Questions

DisneyGras CM

Earning My Ears
There have been many rumors lately of a potential retheme of Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios from a lot of uncredited sources. Although I do not hold the stories to be true, at least until Disney officially releases it, I thought it would be fun to play Imagineer and come up with a concept that fits the attraction and does not take away from the ride itself.

*Disclaimer*: I do not wish or hope for a retheme of this attraction as I love it the way it is, however, given the current state of affairs of Disney taking old concepts and incorporating IPs into their attractions, I wondered what the community would come up with if they were tasked to come up with a story.

One of the things that I noticed as of late is the introduction of Goofy and Max into the attraction's long wait lines and meets at the attraction. There's even merchandise featuring Goofy's Elevator Repair Service which could be incorporated into a plausible story line. My thought, and its only for fun, is to incorporate the concept of the cartoon "Lonesome Ghosts" and combine that with the Goofy Elevator Repair Service for which the merchandise is advertising. The story would revolve around the "Lonesome Ghosts" calling out for repair services to stir up some fun. Enter Goofy (and maybe other characters) to the Hollywood Tower Hotel and begin their adventures through the different playful levels of the attraction. With "Twilight Zone" name use set to end in the near future, this could make use of IPs that Disney desperately seems to want to use, eliminate a complete retheme which saves time and money, and keeps the attraction close to what its current iteration is.

For a complete tie-in, you could even redo the Rockin' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith into a Max and Powerline-type coaster. Just Sayin'!

What would be some awesome Imagineering that you could see for this attraction and/or area?

They are still working on a movie of Tower of Terror, so I don't think a hard retheme will happen, however I could see the Twilight Zone aspect go away as Disney does not own that IP. They would likely change the pre-show to something tied to the movie with those actors. I'm not hoping that they do, but I don't think they will be heavily retheming it as it would still be a spooky "Hollywood Tower Hotel" based attraction.

There have been many rumors lately of a potential retheme of Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios from a lot of uncredited sources. Although I do not hold the stories to be true, at least until Disney officially releases it, I thought it would be fun to play Imagineer and come up with a concept that fits the attraction and does not take away from the ride itself.

*Disclaimer*: I do not wish or hope for a retheme of this attraction as I love it the way it is, however, given the current state of affairs of Disney taking old concepts and incorporating IPs into their attractions, I wondered what the community would come up with if they were tasked to come up with a story.

One of the things that I noticed as of late is the introduction of Goofy and Max into the attraction's long wait lines and meets at the attraction. There's even merchandise featuring Goofy's Elevator Repair Service which could be incorporated into a plausible story line. My thought, and its only for fun, is to incorporate the concept of the cartoon "Lonesome Ghosts" and combine that with the Goofy Elevator Repair Service for which the merchandise is advertising. The story would revolve around the "Lonesome Ghosts" calling out for repair services to stir up some fun. Enter Goofy (and maybe other characters) to the Hollywood Tower Hotel and begin their adventures through the different playful levels of the attraction. With "Twilight Zone" name use set to end in the near future, this could make use of IPs that Disney desperately seems to want to use, eliminate a complete retheme which saves time and money, and keeps the attraction close to what its current iteration is.

For a complete tie-in, you could even redo the Rockin' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith into a Max and Powerline-type coaster. Just Sayin'!

What would be some awesome Imagineering that you could see for this attraction and/or area?
I really like ToT as is, so have never really thought too much about what Disney might do (figured they'd clone the Guardians version if they change it....). Yours is an intriguing idea and, if they were going to retheme it, might be nice to turn to some classic Disney instead of what the latest popular IP is.

While RnR theming is fine (ride is a little too rough for me but the teen loves it!), if Disney really wants to redo it, I always thought Big Hero 6 would be a good fit, (This I have given thought to..."Immortals" would sound good in there!)

I never realized how popular Max was until this year's MNSSHP. My eldest is really into that era of Disney and there were so many adults her age so excited when Powerline came down Main Street :)

Last edited:
Tower of Terror is an icon of Hollywood Studios. Not only would I never retheme it (retheme RnRC- no one would miss Aerosmith at this point), I would double down:

Behind the ride, build an ACTUAL hotel called The Hollywood Tower Hotel that is themed just like the ride.

While RnR theming is fine (ride is a little too rough for me but the teen loves it!), if Disney really wants to redo it, I always thought Big Hero 6 would be a good fit, (This I have given thought to..."Immortals" would sound good in there!)
I would rather talk about RnR! I think they should retheme it to an east coast Incredicoaster: After Dark. The Giacchino soundtrack would be great and the 2D cutout set pieces would work with the franchise. Plus, the mid-century modern theming would fit a little better on Sunset than the 90s rock theme present now.

As far as ToT, I like the idea of just updating without the Twilight Zone content if the license is up. I do love Mickey the bellhop and wouldn't hate it having the gang in there.

I like this idea, especially tieing in RnRC for a sort of miniland. I had a similar idea of converting that area into a miniland but themed to Muppets. Tower of Terror becomes a Muppet hotel and their shenanigans cause the elevator to go haywire, RnRC gets rethemed from Aerosmith to Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. The cars show could also get repurposed either into a new MuppetVision 3D or use that area for a Muppet darkride.
They are still working on a movie of Tower of Terror, so I don't think a hard retheme will happen, however I could see the Twilight Zone aspect go away as Disney does not own that IP. They would likely change the pre-show to something tied to the movie with those actors. I'm not hoping that they do, but I don't think they will be heavily retheming it as it would still be a spooky "Hollywood Tower Hotel" based attraction.
I think this is what will likely happen. Cheapest option as they wouldn't have to change much, just removing the Twilight Zone aspect of the name from signs and redo the preshow video for the most part. Overall the biggest change would be the 5th dimension floor needing to be redon, but should be easy to gut and wouldn't mind a new show scene there. Could film new scenes for the ride and preshow alongside the movie too to save some money on updates. I really like the ride as is so would be fine keeping it with the spooky HTH theme.

I really like ToT as is, so have never really thought too much about what Disney might do (figured they'd clone the Guardians version if they change it....). Yours is an intriguing idea and, if they were going to retheme it, might be nice to turn to some classic Disney instead of what the latest popular IP is.

I never realized how popular Max was until this year's MNSSHP. My eldest is really into that era of Disney and there were so many adults her age so excited when Powerline came down Main Street :)
RnR going to Big Hero 6 makes a ton of sense for that ride. Personally, I would prefer Tomorrowland to get the big hero 6 Sanfrantokyo overlay so it can be set during a "Science Fair" setting like the movie, and can incorporate different technologies as they come out and still stay relevant to a theme without needing to fit "future" all the time.

Get off my lawn and all but...

Rod Serling is the star of Tower of Terror. Change my mind.

(I do like the Monsters, Inc suggestion if something must be modified though!)

Get off my lawn and all but...

Rod Serling is the star of Tower of Terror. Change my mind.
Love having Rod Serling pre-show. But I do feel that it is only a matter of time before Twilight Zone is removed from it. I do feel the most likely route is keeping the ride mostly as is, since the story is an original Disney creation, and they will just change the pre-show video and the 5the dimension floor.

Love having Rod Serling pre-show. But I do feel that it is only a matter of time before Twilight Zone is removed from it. I do feel the most likely route is keeping the ride mostly as is, since the story is an original Disney creation, and they will just change the pre-show video and the 5the dimension floor.

I agree. They are working on that movie, so I would expect that any retheme might be in line with that.

I would prefer to keep it as is. But, for the sake of this thread I would go for turning that part of Disney Hollywood Studios into the tri-state area. Retheme Rockin' Roller Coaster with Phineas and Ferb. You get to be one of the neighborhood kids riding P&F's latest roller coasters as Candace tries to bust the boys. They always had great music too to play along the ride. The Tower of Terror would become the Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated building where Heinz is trying to take over the tri-state area with his elevatorinator. It takes people to the wrong floor. You ride as Agent P battles him to destroy the elevatorinator.

I would prefer to keep it as is. But, for the sake of this thread I would go for turning that part of Disney Hollywood Studios into the tri-state area. Retheme Rockin' Roller Coaster with Phineas and Ferb. You get to be one of the neighborhood kids riding P&F's latest roller coasters as Candace tries to bust the boys. They always had great music too to play along the ride. The Tower of Terror would become the Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated building where Heinz is trying to take over the tri-state area with his elevatorinator. It takes people to the wrong floor. You ride as Agent P battles him to destroy the elevatorinator.
This would actually be a fun idea. To minimize changes too for RnRC there could be a stroy of Phineas and Ferb visiting record studio to see Love Haendel. Then something goes wrong in the preshow resulting in the kids making a roller coaster to save the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter