Rumor - Sorcerer’s of the Magic Kingdom game closing?

Long-time (daily) lurker here. I hate to see that go! This was such a fun part of each of our trips. Hate to see another free aspect of the park experience go, although I doubt cost has much to do with it.

I was hoping maybe it’s just going down for an update?? We completed our set in 2020 and had to cancel our trip for Sept, so we’re planning on playing quite a bit in Nov. it’s one of my husbands and sons favorite things to do.

This is really sad. My family enjoyed playing this. And it pains me to see all the "portal" technology go unused in a time when non-ride attractions are so limited.

I will say, though, that game continuity was an issue. We finished the first phase and when we returned we had to restart. I think we needed to have brought the exact same MBs we had worn before. While the MB accesses MDE, it seems the game was set-up to not go to the MDE, but to reside in the MB.

I'm sad to see this go. I hope, however, it's to update it, rather than remove it. I can't believe how buggy it is. We would sit there in front of the screen/camera trying time after time holding up the card and it just wouldn't recognize it -- we'd lose the battle and have to frustratingly wander to a different station. This happened way too often so we eventually gave up and moved on.

I'm sad to see this go. I hope, however, it's to update it, rather than remove it. I can't believe how buggy it is. We would sit there in front of the screen/camera trying time after time holding up the card and it just wouldn't recognize it -- we'd lose the battle and have to frustratingly wander to a different station. This happened way too often so we eventually gave up and moved on.

this is what I’m hoping too! An upgrade, not that they are totally getting rid of it!

I saw a comment about "the way people get their mobile entertainment" as one of fthe reasons it is going away. Wonder if they may re-do it as something in the play off or build soemthing new for MK that is more mobile phone based maybe based on the technology in the galaxies edge game.

Would just make sense these days to have a game setup through the play app.

I hope it’s only temporary. We just recently discovered SotMK and loved playing in between attractions. 😭

I also am sad to see this go. We had just started playing recently and found it to be quite fun. I’ve always liked the detective games on DCL and this was similar but seemed much bigger than DCL games. Hopefully they do something with all of those mirrors and windows around the parks with tech built into them.

This is really sad. My family enjoyed playing this. And it pains me to see all the "portal" technology go unused in a time when non-ride attractions are so limited.

I will say, though, that game continuity was an issue. We finished the first phase and when we returned we had to restart. I think we needed to have brought the exact same MBs we had worn before. While the MB accesses MDE, it seems the game was set-up to not go to the MDE, but to reside in the MB.

It didn't reside "in" the Magic Band, but rather the band's RFID tag was associated with the game record. You had to use the same RFID "key" - they used to give out a key card before Magic Bands (presumably still did for people without bands). Technically, you could use any RFID tag, as long as it was associated to the game. The games would stay in memory for a while, but there was no way to call up the record without scanning the initial "key." I never had the patience to get to the high levels, but loved collecting the cards. I'd love a complete set!

Last edited:
It didn't reside "in" the Magic Band, but rather the band's RFID tag was associated with the game record. You had to use the same RFID "key" - they used to give out a key card before Magic Bands (presumably still did for people without bands). Technically, you could use any RFID tag, as long as it was associated to the game. The games would stay in memory for a while, but there was no way to call up the record without scanning the initial "key." I never had the patience to get to the high levels, but loved collecting the cards. I'd love a complete set!
Thank you for the much more coherent explanation. Yes, that's exactly it. We had a card key, then moved the game to an MB, finished Phase 1, and then we could not access the game we finished starting in Phase 2, so we started Phase 1 again with a new key. We tried to see if we could access the game we had finished through Phase 1, but they asked for the MBs we were wearing at the time.

I really hope that the game is not going away completely and just refreshing how it is stored and accessed.

This is greatly upsetting. There is no way to know for sure, but it seems like this is a Disney cost cutting move. Rather than refurbish this, they seem to be getting rid of it. For me, it is one of what I call pixie dust experiences at WDW. It may be the tipping point for me. Right now, all you can do at WDW is stand in line.

This is a little too late, but this was gifted to us by some folks a few years back on what cards to play and when

Attachments

• SotMK guide.JPG
    SotMK guide.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 26

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter