Rumor: Top of the World Lounge Not Reopening?

I thought the DVC resorts never closed.

Yes, they did. I don't remember if it was late March? And reopened mid to late June. Essentially a 3 month closure. They reopened a couple weeks before the Disney parks reopened. They had Jambo closed a bit longer.

Aulani was closed longer and VGC was closed approx 13 months.

I was at the observation deck last night. Fairly crowded. While the lounge was closed, they did sell wine and beer at stations outside of the two entrances to the lounge. The fireworks were the normal Disney fireworks, nothing patriotic.

Just wondering if anyone else has also heard this rumor that a CM recently shared with me:

The TOTWL will not be reopening, at least in its current form. Its operation/revenue was just too erratic with the massive influx of people during fireworks and the staff not being able to keep up with demand during that one short time period; then it being a ghost town at all other times of the day.

Instead, they are working on monetizing it better by requiring payment to visit the top of BLT in every circumstance. The CM thought it would take the form of the $100 per person July 4 fireworks paid events, but could be like a dinner reservation similar to Cali grill with return-rights, or perhaps just a straight-up entrance fee. Regardless, the CM literally said the words, "yeah members are NOT going to be happy when they announce the changes to TOTWL."

Hopefully just a rumor, but a worrying one. Can anyone confirm/substantiate?

I read all of the replies but no one seems to be pointing out that they did try a "dessert party" of sorts at TOTW (not holidays, either)...I cannot remember but I believe it included dinner at the Wave and then a reserved area on the outdoor viewing area with some wine or beer. It did not seem well attended despite them trying it out for several weeks, and a few of the long time TOTW CM's said it was not popular and people thought it overpriced since it was essentially dinner at the Wave then a place to watch the show which was literally a roped off area next to where everyone else watches the show.
Maybe a few people will pay 100.00 but there is not much seating there in the TOTW and certainly not much of what you might call "family friendly seating". Most families I observe come, watch outside and leave. Some sit with a drink then watch and leave. I often see tables occupied with no sales, so maybe they need to enforce a minimum spend for an hour before fireworks. Usually within a half hour most people have left when fireworks are done.
But the real issue (in my eyes) is...why would anyone pay MORE for a dessert party like event with a less enticing location? Are the fireworks great and the music piped in? Sure. But for 60.00 at MK you get savory apps, desserts, coffee and a perfect view of fireworks AND projections and all the extra things happening during the show. The 50th show is gearing up to have projections all up and down Main Street. Maybe some people will just want to see the fireworks but there is much more to these newer shows.
These are just my hunches but who knows what Disney will do or why they will do it? I have attended about a dozen dessert parties. For 60.00 for the after party, we get the perfect view in the "hub area" garden, then while everyone rushes out, we have our light dinner of the snacks, desserts and coffee. Paying more to watch from far away is not that appealing.
We also go to TOTW every night of every trip for a nightcap (via Disney transport or Lyft if we are not staying there). Normally when we get there the fireworks rush is over and it is after park people doing the same thing we are doing. In average year, my guess is we would be at TOTW probably 15-20 times when adding up all of our trips. About only one or two of those included fireworks, but we certainly did spend money there. In my observations, a large portion did not - they came, they watched, they left. I guess if there is a charge for prime time to just view the show many might not come, who knows. I would not pay 30 or 40 bucks for a viewing area when for 20 bucks more I can get a better view and cheeseburger egg rolls ;) included.

🤔I have saved 47K on my two resale contracts so to save that amount on APs I would have to buy them 117 times in the next 46 years I have left....I think not!
This is why I bought the minimum direct to get the blue card, then went resale from there. Best of both worlds.

This is why I bought the minimum direct to get the blue card, then went resale from there. Best of both worlds.

$45,000 saved going resale vs direct here. Used $13,000 of the savings for direct to get the blue card (and more points) It amounted to spending $4,800 on blue card. Worth it? Not sure...still waiting for APs to come back. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat..

The Top of the World is still closed today (August 8th). Sad that this is still considered a perk...even as a resale DVC owner. I understand the anger about the perks disappearing...but the big perk for those of us that bought resale is the savings. For example, I've purchased 625 DVC points in the last 12 months and these two contracts were nearly $70k below DVC Direct prices. As such, I will miss some perks, I'm not too worried as I'm still getting some great Villas at a wonderfully discounted price. Remain encouraged!

Hi everyone

I just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone has heard any additional news? Do we think it will be open for the 50th?

Was that a bus driver?

I can see them making it event space. However, I think DVC has control over it, and they don't do events all the time. I am certain it makes its big money for 20 minutes a night around fireworks time. But there's nothing official yet, so

I don't feel like I'm getting the worst part of it when I see the prices to stay at the regular resorts.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone has heard any additional news? Do we think it will be open for the 50th?
The 50th is next week, and they have said nothing. I am betting it's a nope.

If they WERE to open it for October 1, in particular, it would be $99 for each blue card member, include 1 drink and some form of hors d'oerves.

With lounge closed is access to rooftop closed as well? I have been up there in the past while lounge was closed.

Probably not. I'm not expecting it to. I'd love to be wrong but why would they when they can keep it closed except for overpriced dessert parties.

It's sad that my mindset for Disney has changed to "never give them the benefit of the doubt" and "keep your expectations low."

I regret that the only time I got in was literally asking a stranger in the lobby to take me up there, when I wasn't a member. Guess I didn't need to buy in at all LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter