• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumored Changes to G+

What makes you think it's broken? It's just a modified version of FP.
Even though this isn't what that PP was referring to I have read of more issues with the functionality of Genie+/ILL on the app. It's similar to what we experienced with MaxPass over at DL. One of the days we were at DL back in 2019 they shut off the ability to purchase it because the app crashed. My husband's phone was still working so we could use our purchased MP but my phone would only work for booking of ADRs if I wanted to. It was quite frustrating and I was so happy to at least have 1 phone that worked but I know there had to be other guests where none of their phones worked in their traveling parties.

FP+ did have issues from time to time on people's phones but it does seem like more are showing up with the Genie+/ILL system. That of course doesn't make people happy if they've paid nor the people who were looking to pay for it.

But MDE also has more added to the app than in previous years and IME the more you add to things the more that can go wrong.

Means the price isn't high enough.
I'm hoping someone in the Disney Parks world is keeping track of the price points and the days it sells out since the ability to sell out was added after Genie+ was introduced.

I'd like to know if there's a pattern to it such as just on holidays or just at this price point but not that price point and more. It's still hard I know to get an idea of travel patterns that are still different than pre-pandemic but it might be good to figure out if these travel patterns actually stick and become the new normal.

I'm hoping someone in the Disney Parks world is keeping track of the price points and the days it sells out since the ability to sell out was added after Genie+ was introduced.

I'd like to know if there's a pattern to it such as just on holidays or just at this price point but not that price point and more. It's still hard I know to get an idea of travel patterns that are still different than pre-pandemic but it might be good to figure out if these travel patterns actually stick and become the new normal.

It's not hard to see the pattern when it sells out around holidays when it's busy not some random day in June or Sept when the price is lower. It's selling out at its highest, not lowest price which shows it's all crowd related not price related.

It's not hard to see the pattern when it sells out around holidays when it's busy not some random day in June or Sept when the price is lower. It's selling out at its highest, not lowest price which shows it's all crowd related not price related.
I was meaning over time year after year but I mean Disney also has to stop messing with it too to get long-term base lines lol. I was also thinking about DL. I was more thinking along the lines of how much data collection had been done for how long ILL lasts by attraction by day over time which has also been tracking it by the price point charged for those attractions. And Disney has been adjusting the price of Genie+ and ILL over time.

As far as being related to crowd without knowing how much Disney controls it, we don't know if they cap it at a lower amount on anticipated higher days or if they actually have a higher cap to account for the more visitors so sell out can be hard to pin down if the definition is hinged on how many Disney allocates per day but it does mean that that PP's point enough are willing to purchase it at a particular price point to satisfy Disney's set limit for that time period. The interesting update here with Genie+ selling out this week is that it also blocked the multi-parks option too (the newer option to Genie+).

For me I would be interested in that nitty gritty data collection of tracking that over time especially to know if there are high crowd days that do not sell out as time goes on with set limits to Genie+, with assuming an ever-increasing cost to Genie+, travel patterns and their shifts. I think that choice to block multi-parks (instead of having it just mean it's not good at MK but is still good at DHS, AK and Epcot) is a very interesting side-effect just because of how they decided to add or rather split that option.

I was meaning over time year after year but I mean Disney also has to stop messing with it too to get long-term base lines lol. I was also thinking about DL. I was more thinking along the lines of how much data collection had been done for how long ILL lasts by attraction by day over time which has also been tracking it by the price point charged for those attractions. And Disney has been adjusting the price of Genie+ and ILL over time.

As far as being related to crowd without knowing how much Disney controls it, we don't know if they cap it at a lower amount on anticipated higher days or if they actually have a higher cap to account for the more visitors so sell out can be hard to pin down if the definition is hinged on how many Disney allocates per day but it does mean that that PP's point enough are willing to purchase it at a particular price point to satisfy Disney's set limit for that time period. The interesting update here with Genie+ selling out this week is that it also blocked the multi-parks option too (the newer option to Genie+).

For me I would be interested in that nitty gritty data collection of tracking that over time especially to know if there are high crowd days that do not sell out as time goes on with set limits to Genie+, with assuming an ever-increasing cost to Genie+, travel patterns and their shifts. I think that choice to block multi-parks (instead of having it just mean it's not good at MK but is still good at DHS, AK and Epcot) is a very interesting side-effect just because of how they decided to add or rather split that option.

You're never going to get that info from Disney though.

You're never going to get that info from Disney though.
No I didn't think so, it's why I said in the Disney Parks world. I guess you were thinking I was meaning associated with Disney as in working for them directly but I was more thinking Touring Plans/Len Testa that kind of tracking but I can see where my wording may have been confusing. Disney def. isn't going to give away their proprietary info that's for sure

FP was a broken system too.

Very interesting video! Thanks for posting.

It kind of makes even more sense why express pass at Universal Is such a good system. It only selects for people who willing to pay for it (either through their premier hotels or through the theme parks per day). It doesn’t matter if you are a casual park goer/super user/AP holder. It’s ease of use doesn’t discriminate for people who know how to use it because it’s simple. Most people don’t use it (as evidenced by the long stand by lines) and it seems like people are OK with that.

Disney’s system will never be better until it adopts a similar system to universal (just strictly paid as they could never offer it to deluxe guests). Will most guests be able to use it? No, but that’s the only way to make it not only work but be more fair to most people. Fair in that most people understand that paying a lot more money will get you a better experience (see VIP tours).

The only thing the video didn’t address is the DAS system (which I believe plays a huge role in any paid system) and which would have to be more streamlined in a Disney express-pass like system (as Universal is clumsily attempting to do).

FP+ wasn't broken. It was released without adequate testing and performance but it got refined. I had many years using it with success.

The change to Genie+/LL and ILL is quite simply a money grab. And by splitting those, it's an aggregious money grab. And too complicated for the average family to comprehend. Bit the bullet and bought Genie+? Great. But oh, can't choose many rides for LL because those are another $88 for a family of 4.

The reality is you cannot please everyone. Example: With Genie+/LL/ILL being same day only, some people are demanding advance reservations like FP+. It will take years for those who remember that FP and FP+ were free to get over the cost increase to avoid a full day of standby lines. Universal doesn't suffer this because it was always extra cost for Express (however, hotel guest perk is way better than Disney's extra half hour.)

FP+ wasn't broken. It was released without adequate testing and performance but it got refined. I had many years using it with success.

The change to Genie+/LL and ILL is quite simply a money grab. And by splitting those, it's an aggregious money grab. And too complicated for the average family to comprehend. Bit the bullet and bought Genie+? Great. But oh, can't choose many rides for LL because those are another $88 for a family of 4.

The reality is you cannot please everyone. Example: With Genie+/LL/ILL being same day only, some people are demanding advance reservations like FP+. It will take years for those who remember that FP and FP+ were free to get over the cost increase to avoid a full day of standby lines. Universal doesn't suffer this because it was always extra cost for Express (however, hotel guest perk is way better than Disney's extra half hour.)
FP+ was great for those who knew how to use it well and knew the refresh method. The problem with any of these systems is there isn't enough attractions for them to work well. There will always be people who don't get what they want. The reason Universal doesn't suffer is cause even with some people getting Express pass for free it's limited to how many people have it each day.

FP+ was great for those who knew how to use it well and knew the refresh method. The problem with any of these systems is there isn't enough attractions for them to work well. There will always be people who don't get what they want. The reason Universal doesn't suffer is cause even with some people getting Express pass for free it's limited to how many people have it each day.

Agreed. Disney was prone to the mad scramble for limited FP+ and now for VQ and LL. At Universal, if you plan ahead you can always get Express pass. Just maybe not day of. Disney has never found a balance between people willing to (grudgingly lol) plan their days to every minute, and those who aren't such planners and want to plan as they go each day.

Agreed. Disney was prone to the mad scramble for limited FP+ and now for VQ and LL. At Universal, if you plan ahead you can always get Express pass. Just maybe not day of. Disney has never found a balance between people willing to (grudgingly lol) plan their days to every minute, and those who aren't such planners and want to plan as they go each day.
I agree that if you plan ahead you can get Express pass but it's also priced high so it limits people buying it.

I'm hoping that the changes they do make to Genie+ does create a balance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter