• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumored Changes to G+

I feel like I read a post (not on this thread though) that the tap points aren’t always blue for DAS use. Don’t know if I’m remembering that wrong or if there’s any validity to that.
They turn blue and then once the CM verifies the photo matches the DAS person scanning in it goes green. Every member of their party tied to the DAS user once the DAS user gets their green light scans in green.

I feel like I read a post (not on this thread though) that the tap points aren’t always blue for DAS use. Don’t know if I’m remembering that wrong or if there’s any validity to that.
At Disneyland at least, mine were always blue. From what I've heard/read, DAS works the same at Disneyworld.

Also to no poster in particular, as a DAS user I would find it very disturbing if someone were hanging out at the lightning lane trying to see who/if I was using DAS......even if it were with good intentions.

no need to hang out counting people. Go during a party or extended hours of after-hours or any other event when G+ is not available. Everybody coming through LL by definition is DAS. There's no other way to use LL during those times. From my limited experience, LL were loaded and really busy during those times (MK and Epcot). Based on those observations, numbers stated above feel right.

We are one of those big families and it does get very tricky to ride together.

If something needs to give, maybe it should be on Disney's end. Stop the pay-to-play, build more attractions in general so that lines aren't so long.

In the end, I would like some evidence of someone like touring plans actually counting the blue scan-ins for DAS instead of estimating the number. We're all getting upset over something that may be inaccurate. As many of us with family members who use DAS have said already: we see almost no one else using DAS in line with us (blue scan-ins) and almost all are green scans (G+) for LL. Yes, this is anecdotal. But so are the DAS abuse rumors.

As someone said upthread, those living with disabilities have a hard enough time in their day to day life that Disney is the one bright spot. I'm not sure that using DAS as the scapegoat for G+ problems is a good idea - especially when it may not be an accurate picture of what's going on.
I agree, it's obviously anecdotal but we almost never see anyone around us scanning in with DAS. Back when you had to see a CM with an iPad to set up a DAS return time, there might have been one other party getting a return time but usually there wasn't anyone else (or there was a party talking to the CM about something else).

You still have to get a VQ switched to a LL for DAS and I think the most we've ever seen outside Guardians (for example) was 3 parties. Usually we walk right up to the CMs.

I know you're just making a lighthearted joke, but no, it's not the same. I've had surgeries to correct bladder issues related to childbirth and it's still nothing compared to what one of my kids who has a genetic kidney condition experiences.
Correct. I was just referring to us older ladies who have bladder meltdowns. In your opinion, have those surgeries helped you?

I am disturbed by the "elephant in the room" being discussed here as DAS abuse. Nobody here can know, or even conjecture at what constitutes abuse or how much there could be, and certainly not by counting blue vs. green lights at the lightning lane.

The elephant in the room is the idea that disabled guests are robbing the rest of us of Lightning Lane capacity. Unless one of you is an insider, we don't know that LL capacity is determined after estimated DAS usage.

The DAS system is operating as designed by Disney. There is no abuse as long as Disney is approving who they believe qualifies. If they feel it needs to be adjusted to reduce qualifications it's their business. There are laws that stop companies from being invasive about disability proof.

The one form of abuse I have seen documented was this: Independent tour guides using their disability to sell their services as guide with DAS included for the tour group. And as we saw, Disney fixed that wagon by banning all independent tour guides which is unfortunate for those who didn't do this but Disney said no tour competitors on property so that's it.

Please watch your tone on DAS abuse and qualification. Some comments sounded very ableist and condescending toward disabled people.

I am disturbed by the "elephant in the room" being discussed here as DAS abuse. Nobody here can know, or even conjecture at what constitutes abuse or how much there could be, and certainly not by counting blue vs. green lights at the lightning lane.

The elephant in the room is the idea that disabled guests are robbing the rest of us of Lightning Lane capacity. Unless one of you is an insider, we don't know that LL capacity is determined after estimated DAS usage.

The DAS system is operating as designed by Disney. There is no abuse as long as Disney is approving who they believe qualifies. If they feel it needs to be adjusted to reduce qualifications it's their business. There are laws that stop companies from being invasive about disability proof.

The one form of abuse I have seen documented was this: Independent tour guides using their disability to sell their services as guide with DAS included for the tour group. And as we saw, Disney fixed that wagon by banning all independent tour guides which is unfortunate for those who didn't do this but Disney said no tour competitors on property so that's it.

Please watch your tone on DAS abuse and qualification. Some comments sounded very ableist and condescending toward disabled people.

I don't know that anyone has a problem with people who need DAS using it - well, I can't speak for everybody, but I don't. I think people do have a problem with poeple who don't need it using it. Of course, the issue is who determines who "needs" it. I'm sure thare is some abuse - I do not think it's widespread. I'd rather that happen and the people who need it get it rather than tightening the policies and turning down someone who has a legitimate need. It's s tought issue. The fact it, it only means a couple of extra minutes in a line for most people - it's not that big of a deal.

Considering families come in very different shapes and sizes (I know one family where divorced parents and their new spouses take the child together- 4 adults, 1 child, fantastic co parenting IMO) I think a hard age limit is unfair. Why should they not be able to tour the parks together, enjoying the same attractions together as group without a disability?
Splitting up already happens in non-DAS families. It isn't the end of the world. Some people don't care for a certain ride, or have back problems that could act up on rougher rides. Or a kid needs to go to the restroom or get some food soon, so other family members go on a ride without that kid and one parent. I think Disney is being very generous if they're allowing up to four other people with the DAS holder.

To put it more basic, there is DAS abuse.

It does impact that guest experience. How much doesn't matter.

Just because Disney allows it doesn't mean it's how the system is supposed to function.

Disney doesn't overly care until they have data it's affecting their bottom line, but they are typically several years behind when it comes to actually responding.

Thank you. Agree 100%. Making DAS a scapegoat with no real knowledge and only conjecture is pretty low. I started this thread to discuss how G+ is changing to advanced purchase. Not to give space for condescending / ableist comments towards those with invisible disabilities.

It would be nice if we could discuss the future changes and rumors without dragging DAS into it.

Staying at a Universal Deluxe hotel (for the express pass) and giving them our business is looking better and better
I'm sure that is true some times of the year, but out of curiosity I just priced out the hotels a family with 2 adults and 2 children for 1 night at universal (Dec. 27th-Dec 28th) that have access to the express pass. Lowes Royal Pacific is $836 for that night. Port Orleans Riverside is $407 for that night. At least in this limited instance, you are better off at staying at Disney and getting the park hopper Genie + for another $156 for the four members of the family. You'd save $273.

Universal (like every other business) is making their money one way or another. I'm always wary when a business tells me that something is free. In my experience that means they are making enough of a profit somewhere else in the transaction that they can pay for it somewhere else. In this case they are making it up with the price of the hotel (assuming that I place no value on any of the other amenities at the Lowes Royal Pacific which would be true in this case because the family is only staying there for the Express Passes).

Then because its a slow day at work, I priced out single day tickets for Disney and Universal for Dec. 28th. A park hopper at WDW is $252 plus tax, and adding on $39 for genie plus is $291.

A 2 park, 1 day ticket at Universal is $234. The Express Pass added on is $359.99. Total before tax is $593.99.

Both Disney and Universal are ridiculously expensive this time of year. And that's why I personally would not go to either this time of year, but many people want to and it is one of the most crowded time of the year. I'm assuming that Universal and WDW flip flop multiple times throughout the year in terms of which is the better financial value.

Does anyone know which amusement park "invented" the first paid skip the line service? The furthest back I could find was a 2002 article on Slate saying that at least back then Universal was charging for the Express Pass. In the end it doesn't matter if it was Universal, Six Flags, Busch Gardens or whomever "invented" it, once it happened eventually all the other companies would have to adopt it or otherwise they would have to explain to their investors why they were passing up on that type of profit potential.

I'm sure that is true some times of the year, but out of curiosity I just priced out the hotels a family with 2 adults and 2 children for 1 night at universal (Dec. 27th-Dec 28th) that have access to the express pass. Lowes Royal Pacific is $836 for that night. Port Orleans Riverside is $407 for that night. At least in this limited instance, you are better off at staying at Disney and getting the park hopper Genie + for another $156 for the four members of the family. You'd save $273.

Universal (like every other business) is making their money one way or another. I'm always wary when a business tells me that something is free. In my experience that means they are making enough of a profit somewhere else in the transaction that they can pay for it somewhere else. In this case they are making it up with the price of the hotel (assuming that I place no value on any of the other amenities at the Lowes Royal Pacific which would be true in this case because the family is only staying there for the Express Passes).

Then because its a slow day at work, I priced out single day tickets for Disney and Universal for Dec. 28th. A park hopper at WDW is $252 plus tax, and adding on $39 for genie plus is $291.

A 2 park, 1 day ticket at Universal is $234. The Express Pass added on is $359.99. Total before tax is $593.99.

Both Disney and Universal are ridiculously expensive this time of year. And that's why I personally would not go to either this time of year, but many people want to and it is one of the most crowded time of the year. I'm assuming that Universal and WDW flip flop multiple times throughout the year in terms of which is the better financial value.

Does anyone know which amusement park "invented" the first paid skip the line service? The furthest back I could find was a 2002 article on Slate saying that at least back then Universal was charging for the Express Pass. In the end it doesn't matter if it was Universal, Six Flags, Busch Gardens or whomever "invented" it, once it happened eventually all the other companies would have to adopt it or otherwise they would have to explain to their investors why they were passing up on that type of profit potential.
Just to use comparison sake understand that with the Premier resorts you get Express Pass Unlimited. If you're looking at dollar per dollar that makes it hard to compare because no matter which way you slice it you aren't getting the same product at Disney. Your Genie+ price only includes once per through and only if the ride is available to select. In addition certain rides cost extra (ILL).

Also the Express Pass that comes with the Premier hotels is for check in through check out day thus 1 night of stay equals 2 days of Express Pass usage. Always do the math but that must be considered when using figures.

Just to use comparison sake understand that with the Premier resorts you get Express Pass Unlimited. If you're looking at dollar per dollar that makes it hard to compare because no matter which way you slice it you aren't getting the same product at Disney. Your Genie+ price only includes once per through and only if the ride is available to select. In addition certain rides cost extra (ILL).

Also the Express Pass that comes with the Premier hotels is for check in through check out day thus 1 night of stay equals 2 days of Express Pass usage. Always do the math but that must be considered when using figures.
Obviously these are great points that you bring up. I bow to your superior knowledge of Universal:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter