Rumored Changes to G+

Yeah I’ve had much less stressful trips because of G+ than I have had with FP+.

FP+ not only was it rigid scheduling, but because I had 3 hours already planned out it was more planning out what attractions to try and fit in between all of that.
I also agree it's less stressful. You refresh the app and pick what's there, rather than planning your day hour by hour two months ahead.

What is there to learn? I am not trying to be snarky, but Genie+ is really not that complicated in my experience. What is it you are having issues with?

My order of operations....

ILL and then Genie+. If you are rope dropping then I would VQ...ILL... Genie+

Genie+: Wake up.... open the app.... book a Genie+ ride for your family and friends from the list... repeat every two hours to book another ride or immediately again after you ride/scan in. You can modify times as you go, so select whatever time is available and then if you need to modify to a later time you can. You can stack the rides, so if you start at 7.... you can book again at 9... and at 11. I am not a rope dropper so I like to roll into a park around noon with rides stacked.

VQ: I usually do not do the first VQ as I wont be there that early and i like going for the afternoon VQ. This way I can usually get two headliners in (VQ/ILL)... three if it is an EE day/park and there is the third VQ at 6pm.

Everyone has their favorites, so book whatever you want to ride first. which for us are usually the bigger thrilly rides that tend to be harder to get later.

I book the ILL first to get that done and settled. I understand that often the times I book for Genie are merely placeholders so I dont stress that I know I wont be in the park at 10:05... I just modify at 10am to later on.

If you have issues getting your friends and family in your list, see guest services in the park. Those little blue tents are very helpful. I suggest visiting one of those for a quick crash course if you are having issues or something is not working, they gave me tips the first time I tried this system that were so helpful and they are usually not busy so just walk up and ask.

I would bet most of the people reading this dont and they are considered the pros

Last edited:
I’m guessing everyone who hates getting up at 7 doesn’t rope drop and doesn’t have young kids 😆 I have both, so I’m going to be up then anyways 🤷‍♀️

My Genie+ strategy is getting the Genie+ LL selection while my husband does VQ selection when relevant. We generally stay offsite, so we can’t do ILL till park open anyways.

After that it’s really not hard. I set an alarm for every 2 hours or rebook as soon as we tap into a ride. And that’s that. I’m not on my phone all day, I’m not adjusting times, and we still ride pretty much everything we want.

Do you know what RS is?

Do you know how to get 2 LL selections before park opening?
LOL what is this a quiz? IF I pass do I get a sticker? I do not pretend to know everything WDW, just like I am sure there are things you dont know.... , but google is a great tool.

I think RS refers to the Port Orleans Riverside

It would depend on what park and when it opens. But in general... Get up at 6:50am... buy Genie+, and book the first one at 7am and then book again 11:00am (with a 9am park open). You can continue to book new selections even if you have not ridden the other ones as long as two hours go by since the last Genie+ (LL) selection.

Book #1 at 7am... book #2 at 11am (** edited to correct to 120 minutes after park opens).. book #3 by 1pm =3 selections by 1.

ILL you do not need Genie+, You can book 2 separate ILL attractions per day, and there is no time required in between bookings as two is what you get

For those who don't know abbreviations... I often have to look up the ones I don't use that often like RS

https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/common-abbreviations-and-acronyms/

Last edited:

It would depend on what park and when it opens. But in general... Get up at 6:50am... buy Genie+, and book the first one at 7am and then book again 9:00am. You can continue to book new selections even if you have not riden the other ones as long as two hours go by since the last Genie+ (LL) selection.

Book 7am... book 9am... book 11am =3 selections by 11:05am

ILL you do not need Genie+, You can book 2 separate ILL attractions per day, and there is no time required in between bookings as two is what you get

For those who don't know abbreviations... I often have to look up the ones I don't use that often like RS

https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/common-abbreviations-and-acronyms/
Incorrect........Its a advanced strategy used to stack....there are so many ways to use Genie+ and you arent even scratching the surface.......

you know disney holds back inventory in 3 parks for several rides and drops them on the :17's every day?

Your description of Genie+ is the bare minimum and prob only about 20% of its actual capability

I think ive proven my point......Genie+ is extremely complicated

Last edited:
Incorrect........Its a advanced strategy used to stack....there are so many ways to use Genie+ and you arent even scratching the surface.......

you know disney holds back inventory in 3 parks for several rides and drops them on the :17's every day?

I think ive proven my point......Genie+ is extremely complicated
lol an electron microscope is complicated, Genie+ is not.

Genie+ is a scheduling tool and there are tips, once you learn them ...then it is not so complicated. Thanks for the 17s tip, not sure I will ever need that bit, but good to know

Genie+ is a scheduling tool and there are tips, once you learn them ...then it is not so complicated. Thanks for the 17s tip, not sure I will ever need that bit, but good to know
i mean to be fair, if you know how to use; its not complicated, but those that dont go to disney often, to learn the process, it can be complicated.

being honest, we consider our self disney experts, we had a year between our last 2 trips, and it took us a couple of days on both trips to really get a grasp on the best ways to use it.

You will when you miss SDD and you want to ride and its 150 min wait and a drop is about to happen so you can walk on!

i mean to be fair, if you know how to use; its not complicated, but those that dont go to disney often, to learn the process, it can be complicated.

being honest, we consider our self disney experts, we had a year between our last 2 trips, and it took us a couple of days on both trips to really get a grasp on the best ways to use it.
oh I agree, the first time I used paper fast pass vs the last time how I used paper fast pass are way different

Every time you go you learn new tips. I do agree it can be daunting, and I am really not trying to make fun of people who do find it difficult, but I honestly think it is not that bad. I did go to the blue tents my first time using it and that was super helpful and picked up tips from them (silly refreshing VQ crap)

You will when you miss SDD and you want to ride and its 150 min wait and a drop is about to happen so you can walk on!
IMO it's only complicated cause guests make it complicated. Trying to stack rides and refreshing constantly to fit your schedule is what makes it complicated.

The problem seems to be many try to make Genie+ work like FP+. It seems to work best if you go with the flow. Take what's available

been lucky (knock on wood) but have not missed Slinky yet, but if I do, i know I will be back eventually, and there are other rides. I accept I cannot do/ride everything, be it at Universal or at WDW. Every trip there will be things I will not get a chance to experience. So I try to be flexible and go with the flow and enjoy what I do get to experience. It is a vacation after all.

I do remember the disappointment on our first trip when Galaxy's Edge had opened and there were the 4am lines outside the gates to get that VQ... and I was like no way is a ride worth that...

I’m guessing everyone who hates getting up at 7 doesn’t rope drop and doesn’t have young kids 😆 I have both, so I’m going to be up then anyways 🤷‍♀️
I have three young kids, consider myself a morning person and have planned well over 30 disney trips but man, our last trip I was good and over the having to set an alarm for 6:50 AM every morning of the trip. My kids are normally up at the butt crack of dawn but after a day or two of disney adventures everyone is team sleep in. I really, really hope disney figures out a way to "fix" the 7am fiascos they've built.

LOL what is this a quiz? IF I pass do I get a sticker? I do not pretend to know everything WDW, just like I am sure there are things you dont know.... , but google is a great tool.

It would depend on what park and when it opens. But in general... Get up at 6:50am... buy Genie+, and book the first one at 7am and then book again 9:00am. You can continue to book new selections even if you have not riden the other ones as long as two hours go by since the last Genie+ (LL) selection.

Book 7am... book 9am... book 11am =3 selections by 11:05am

If you book your first G+ LL at 7:00, you cannot book another at 9:00 . . . unless you actually tap into the first one then. The 2-hour rule does not count the time before the park opens. If you are subject to the 2-hour rule, you can book your next LL two hours after the park opens.

Meh... people simply like to complain. people will complain about anything and everything. Negativity is very popular, and not just about WDW.

Go in expecting a crappy time and no big surprise... you will have a crappy time.

Getting up early LOL. Oh please, I roll over in bed at 7am... well first I pee... then get back in and make my selections and go back to bed, stressful is a big stretch. Sometimes I wake up and drink coffee on my balcony at AKV while my family sleeps and watch the giraffes and make my selections. Stressful, complicated (solved by research) and even frustration is all mindset.
That's fine if you find it a relaxing experience. In the end, it doesn't really matter if we agree.

What really matters is that Disney has heard from unsatisfied guests and they are changing it.

been lucky (knock on wood) but have not missed Slinky yet, but if I do, i know I will be back eventually, and there are other rides. I accept I cannot do/ride everything, be it at Universal or at WDW. Every trip there will be things I will not get a chance to experience. So I try to be flexible and go with the flow and enjoy what I do get to experience. It is a vacation after all.

I do remember the disappointment on our first trip when Galaxy's Edge had opened and there were the 4am lines outside the gates to get that VQ... and I was like no way is a ride worth that...

If you book your first G+ LL at 7:00, you cannot book another at 9:00 . . . unless you actually tap into the first one then. The 2-hour rule does not count the time before the park opens. If you are subject to the 2-hour rule, you can book your next LL two hours after the park opens.
Yes true........Unless you know how to use Genie+

nope

it is when the park opens (usually by 9am), but you do not have to be tapped in

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter