Rumored Changes to G+

Isn't the whole system of genie + predicated on the fact that some people cant/shouldn't know about it? If everyone wanted to buy it or knew it was important to having a quality experience, some people would be left out when there were none left and in turn would also have a poor experience.

That in itself is a major issue and screams to the fact Disney just doesn't have enough capacity and/or isn't efficient enough with what they do have.

Isn't the whole system of genie + predicated on the fact that some people cant/shouldn't know about it? If everyone wanted to buy it or knew it was important to having a quality experience, some people would be left out when there were none left and in turn would also have a poor experience.

That in itself is a major issue and screams to the fact Disney just doesn't have enough capacity and/or isn't efficient enough with what they do have.
Every skip the line system ever banks on the fact that some people will be left out. Not even just theme parks. Look at TSA Precheck for example. Imagine if every single passenger had Precheck. The line would never move.

Lack of attraction capacity is the core issue here. Nothing that has been suggested in this thread in terms of changing Genie+ will remedy that fact.

I am sorry for the very long post! It has been a while since I visited these boards but I do have to say with a sad heart that after my family’s last visit in July 2023, I cannot see going back until G+ changes in a significant way that greatly simplifies things. I left WDW with a more negative and completely overwhelmed feeling that I ever thought possible. A few examples of why:
1. The exhaustion of being the planner of the family is real and the early morning 7:00am G+, ILL, VQ rush is stressful to the max. I would be holed up in the bathroom at 6:30am each morning with 3 devices handy, each signed into different accounts in order to get what we wanted for that day. Oh, and an extra device to show me the Time.gov REAL time so I didn’t lose those precious and valuable seconds to score the most sought after reservations.
2. Running my family like a drill sergeant to get our LL at the right time and tap in quickly to make the next one on the list, in order for that next one to fit into our schedule (after obsessively researching Thrill Park Data G+ return times) Also, being glued to my phone all day made me extremely anxious and miss out on seeing my kids actually enjoying all of the plans I was making for them!
3. ADRs and showing up on time to find out that they are running WAY behind! It took us over 2 hours after our reservation time to be sat for CRT. Oh, and make sure that you know that if you are in CRT when the fireworks are going off (we should not have been if reservation time was close to accurate) that you are now trapped in the castle until they check to make sure there are no live sparks anywhere and you get the all clear). This caused us to miss all of the hard earned LLs that I had meticulously accumulated throughout the day.
4. The 3 hours of my life that I cannot get back, spent on the phone with guest services searching for our missing Capture Your Moment anniversary photos. Conversation started in our room, continued on the monorail, through the gates at MK, and rushing to make it to my daughter’s BBB appointment. I do have the say that the CM on the phone did persevere and find our photos, which had been attached to someone else’s MDE account.
I LOVE WDW so much but we decided to go to Aruba for a week this year for some much needed (not to mention much cheaper) relaxation and family time!

1. The exhaustion of being the planner of the family is real and the early morning 7:00am G+, ILL, VQ rush is stressful to the max. I would be holed up in the bathroom at 6:30am each morning with 3 devices handy, each signed into different accounts in order to get what we wanted for that day. Oh, and an extra device to show me the Time.gov REAL time so I didn’t lose those precious and valuable seconds to score the most sought after reservations.
2. Running my family like a drill sergeant to get our LL at the right time and tap in quickly to make the next one on the list, in order for that next one to fit into our schedule (after obsessively researching Thrill Park Data G+ return times) Also, being glued to my phone all day made me extremely anxious and miss out on seeing my kids actually enjoying all of the plans I was making for them!
You chose to hole up in the bathroom with four devices, when one or two would suffice, at an hour that was too early for you. You also chose to behave like a drill sergeant and ran a very tight ship.

I understand a Disney trip is not for everyone, but some of the stress were brought on by you, not G+/VQ/iLL. Without them, you would've lost many more hours standing in line.

Totally the point of my entire post. To get the same trip that I used to be able to achieve with ease is now too stressful and therefore no longer my cup of tea!
I understand the point of your post. I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. You are not alone in your feelings, and I have had similar feelings during our more recent vacations (2021 and 2022). There is a growing lack of rest and relaxation with trips to Disney parks.

Did Disney give no time frame at all
No. They didn't. They announced it around the same time as announcing the removal of park reservations and the return of the dining plan so people assumed it would be the same time frame but not a peep has been released since. Rumor is they are working on it. I read a great article about it. If I can find it I'll link it. Can't remember who wrote it at the moment.

I am sorry for the very long post! It has been a while since I visited these boards but I do have to say with a sad heart that after my family’s last visit in July 2023, I cannot see going back until G+ changes in a significant way that greatly simplifies things. I left WDW with a more negative and completely overwhelmed feeling that I ever thought possible. A few examples of why:
3. ADRs and showing up on time to find out that they are running WAY behind! It took us over 2 hours after our reservation time to be sat for CRT. Oh, and make sure that you know that if you are in CRT when the fireworks are going off (we should not have been if reservation time was close to accurate) that you are now trapped in the castle until they check to make sure there are no live sparks anywhere and you get the all clear). This caused us to miss all of the hard earned LLs that I had meticulously accumulated throughout the day.
4. The 3 hours of my life that I cannot get back, spent on the phone with guest services searching for our missing Capture Your Moment anniversary photos. Conversation started in our room, continued on the monorail, through the gates at MK, and rushing to make it to my daughter’s BBB appointment. I do have the say that the CM on the phone did persevere and find our photos, which had been attached to someone else’s MDE account.
I LOVE WDW so much but we decided to go to Aruba for a week this year for some much needed (not to mention much cheaper) relaxation and family time!
contrast.... 6:55am

get up pee.... crawl back into bed.... make ILL and Genie+ selections on phone... go back to bed/sleep 7:01 (I generally will do the second VQ)

Go to park with a few rides stacked. Check phone periodically and make some social media posts to make the folks back home jealous.... maybe do do a mobile order. Have a fun day.

You made your vacation what it was by scheduling. WDW did not choose your schedule, you did. If you made a crazy schedule then you made a crazy schedule. People have done that all along, before Genie and after. I make my vacation what it is. Disney gives us tools, It is up to us how we implement them. You are blaming WDW for your choices.

I ride more rides with Genie+/ILL/VQ than I ever did with tiered fast passes scheduled ahead of time.

Last edited:
contrast.... 6:55am

get up pee.... crawl back into bed.... make ILL and Genie+ selections on phone... go back to bed/sleep 7:01 (I generally will do the second VQ)

Go to park with a few rides stacked. Check phone periodically and make some social media posts to make the folks back home jealous.... maybe do do a mobile order. Have a fun day.

You made your vacation what it was by scheduling. WDW did not choose your schedule, you did. If you made a crazy schedule then you made a crazy schedule. People have done that all along, before Genie and after. I make my vacation what it is. Disney gives us tools, It is up to us how we implement them. You are blaming WDW for your choices.

I ride more rides with Genie+/ILL/VQ than I ever did with tiered fast passes scheduled ahead of time.

Does everyone have the same circumstances in life? That’s a pretty harsh response. Maybe that person only gets to go once every few years, once in a life, has a bunch of young kids that need different ride types, who knows what their circumstances are. It’s great when things work out so well for you, but maybe keep the bragging to social media and not in response to someone who is giving their honest opinion.

I feel the same. It was extremely rare to get two Tier A rides on the same day with FP. A typical pre-selected FP day at MK would probably be Jungle Cruise, Small World, and another second tier ride. If we wanted Mansion or Peter Pan, we would need another day at MK. Now, we can ride all those and more, plus Tron and Mine Train if needed.

Maybe that person only gets to go once every few years, once in a life, has a bunch of young kids that need different ride types, who knows what their circumstances are.
If my memory serves me well, I remember the "drill sergeant" from the Star Cruiser forum. Finance is most likely not an issue, they just chose to run a stressful schedule.

If my memory serves me well, I remember the "drill sergeant" from the Star Cruiser forum. Finance is most likely not an issue, they just chose to run a stressful schedule.

Maybe that’s true, maybe they have 5 kids and each kid wants a different ride that is their “must do” and as the planner they feel responsible to get everyone what they want. The point is it didn’t need to be responded to that way, a simple “Genie works great for me, maybe try this helpful trick” is a bit more in line with the tone of the original post, which wasn’t belligerent. Or you know, not responding at all, but that’s just me and we were all raised differently.

The first times I used G+, it was very stressful to feel like I had to get my money’s worth, especially when rides went down and that was before you could alter your slot time. It was actually before you could even see your time slot before booking, as it would change by the time you hit book. Obviously it’s changed since then, but I can see it still being stressful to people who want to get every bit out of it they can, aren’t technically savvy, etc. I don’t see how anyone can say Disney is less stressful now than 10 years ago, but I’m sure some feel that way.

Does everyone have the same circumstances in life? That’s a pretty harsh response. Maybe that person only gets to go once every few years, once in a life, has a bunch of young kids that need different ride types, who knows what their circumstances are. It’s great when things work out so well for you, but maybe keep the bragging to social media and not in response to someone who is giving their honest opinion.
harsh? I did not insult them, denigrate them or anything of that ilk. I pointed out that WDW provides tools and it is up to you how you implement them. Of course we do not have the same experiences, but at the end of the day, your trip dollars are no more special than my trip dollars.

I provided a contrast to their vacation style. I think there is a lot of pressure to do everything and it is impossible.

I personally didn't have a good experience at all the first time with G+, there's definitely a learning curve. Didn't help that the first experience was at HS, which seems like more of a scramble than with other parks. Did not fully understand the concept of stacking. This was January 2022. I'd do much, MUCH better if I was trying again today. But it has to be worth noting that people here are way more in tune with tips and tricks than the general public. I have a friend who is down with her family, she's NEVER been to WDW, and she's terrified about dealing with G+ and VQ.

I feel the same. It was extremely rare to get two Tier A rides on the same day with FP. A typical pre-selected FP day at MK would probably be Jungle Cruise, Small World, and another second tier ride. If we wanted Mansion or Peter Pan, we would need another day at MK. Now, we can ride all those and more, plus Tron and Mine Train if needed.
being honest, we never really had an issue getting the vast majority of attractions at MK, and some of those multiple times per day. it wasnt uncommon for us to do all of the rides you mentioned above, including Big Thunder, Space, and Splash all in one day with FP+.

EPCOTs tiered FP+ is still kind of there with Genie +. If you get Test Track at 7, there is a good chance you're not going to get Frozen or Rat.

I get that you didn't have fun and that sucks. But honestly, 3 out of 4 of your points you chose to do.

1. You chose to wake up earlier than needed with lots of the devices for some reason. Were there no other adults to help you? Were you booking for 15 ppl? (if you were, why would you do that to yourself?? )
2. You chose to keep a tight schedule for your family, when you could have gone with the flow.
3. You chose to do ADRs, when quick service is so much easier.
4. Why did you call then? Aren't photos available for like a month or more after??? You could have called in the evening or after your vacation.

You chose to be on your phone to do all this instead of spending time with your family. Don't blame others for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter