Rumored Changes to G+

Figured this article was timely with G+ and thought I'd share it if anyone's interested.

Disney trips are so complicated now that you need a class to plan one

YouTube videos, TikToks, Zoom classes and 200-page guides are here to help overwhelmed visitors

https://wapo.st/3vTUyY5
(WaPo is behind a paywall, but this link is "gifted" so should work)

Figured this article was timely with G+ and thought I'd share it if anyone's interested.

YouTube videos, TikToks, Zoom classes and 200-page guides are here to help overwhelmed visitors

Said it on another thread about this article but charging $139 for a course about booking a Disney trip is ridiculous and a scam. You can learn everything you need to know for FREE on Youtube.

My explanation of G+ to a first timer:

Purchase at midnight or later in the app, book first attraction at 7am, and then the app tells you when you can book your next one.

All the additional minutiae just adds unnecessary stress, but a guest can figure some of those things out as they use it. A guest could learn they can stack, a guest can notice on the app that they can change their selection.

When you know you'll be back and quickly thereafter you often approach the trip differently.

We'll be going to Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in October. Of course I'll want to ride as many rides as I possibly can and I'm having to learn a whole new system for this park between lotteries and Premier Pass. But then there's the added component of high rejection of U.S. CCs and more. Anyhow because we'll not likely to ever be going back to Disneyland there you better believe I'm going to try my best to have the best few days there and it would be disappointing to only go on a handful of rides. It's our "once in a lifetime" trip to that park. Sometimes people need reminding of how that can be for people.
I definitely agree with you that the frequency of trips has really changed my trips from "gotta get it all done" to a far more relaxing, dare I say vacation-like, experience. Moreover, even just having an AP over daily tickets changes the calculus for where the "worth it" line is and how sad I am if I don't get something done during a trip.

That being said, I think you touched on the crux of one of the arguments that is had over the G+ system with how you described how you are preparing for your once in a lifetime trip. One of the things that has been brought up throughout this thread is the ability of new users to understand and take advantage of the system. Furthermore, an argument that is often brought up is that a Disney vacation requires too much planning or research before you go.

And to that I would ask, why would someone drop thousands of dollars on a once in a lifetime trip and also not do research before they go? To me, that would be like paying thousands of dollars to travel to Europe but then not taking the time to learn how public transit works, how far my hotel is from the attractions I want to go to, or even looking up reviews on restaurants I might want to go to and waiting until I am already there and trying to learn on the fly. Not only does that sound stressful, but also would take away from my enjoyment while I am there because I am on my phone reading yelp reviews and struggling to understand things in a different language.

Yes, I know that Disney is a theme park and not traveling to a different country. But Disney isn't Six Flags either.

Said it on another thread about this article but charging $139 for a course about booking a Disney trip is ridiculous and a scam. You can learn everything you need to know for FREE on Youtube.

I was stunned to read of all these things out there and for some, crazy amounts of money. At first, I thought the writer was promoting certain services, but at a closer look, it appeared she was linking to pretty much everything.

TBH I've never attempted to try G+, just ILL which I've used on occasion for Guardians. I'm not going to pay for it in the current version, although I think if I was a first-timer or if I hadn't been for a while and had limited time at WDW I might give it a try. I briefly thought about it during a 2-day stay around Christmas, but we were only going to be at Epcot for one day and MVMCP the next, so didn't feel worth the $.

No one is claiming otherwise. But making choices that are detrimental to the enjoyment of any vacation is a bad choice imo. And folks like to blame that on lots of things, "Genie+ has XXX limitation", "I had to wake up at the crack of dawn to reserve an ADR", " I was on my phone all the time". These are all choices made by guests. No one is forcing anyone to do ADRs, no one is forcing anyone to hold up in the bathroom of hotels with multiple devices for 30+ min to reserve LLs, no one is forcing anyone to even buy Genie+ or to try to use every "trick" available to get one more ride or to get X ride at the exact time they want and spending 10 min refreshing the app to do so. These are all choices.
and that all comes back to people's situations........

Wow! My post was simply to indicate why I personally found the G+ system overcomplicated and not easy to navigate as someone who goes to WDW infrequently. People have many different ways of vacationing. With crazy schedules and limited time off, we can’t just hop into WDW whenever we feel like it. We save up to do a big trip every 1 or 2 years. And then plan like crazy to get the most accomplished to justify the cost. This last trip just became too stressful to fully enjoy myself (my family had a blast, LOL). I don’t think I am the only one that feels that way based on Disney’s acknowledgement of this type of criticism and statement that changes are coming, hence the title of this thread.
I think as you said "to justify the cost" is really the biggest problem people are having when it comes to the stress of planning a trip. A lot people feel they must do absolutely everything they can in one trip knowing they may not be back for sometime. No matter what system is in place, if the costs are high the stress will always be there just in a different form.

I think as you said "to justify the cost" is really the biggest problem people are having when it comes to the stress of planning a trip. A lot people they must do absolutely everything they can in one trip knowing they man not be back for sometime. No matter what system is in place, if the costs are high the stress will always be there just in a different form.
Add to the stress if you are the one planning everything for everyone. you feel you have to get in everything you possibly can; and try to make everyone happy.

And to that I would ask, why would someone drop thousands of dollars on a once in a lifetime trip and also not do research before they go?
Respectfully that's I think where people are talking over each other. It's a tried and true argument that people use over the years. No one would debate you have to look up things about your destination but when you're only using that argument you're failing (and I say this with no hint of rudeness) to capture what is being discussed.

It's not that I'm saying don't research for your trip, I'm saying what I'm having to research is on another level than most would agree is necessary...for a theme park and it's complicated, confusing, a lot to absorb and when you have a large learning curve borders on ridiculous.

Of course I'm going to look up Tokyo Disneyland because that's how I am, but does that mean I won't find it difficult to grasp, plan and utilize their system? And that's the point that gets so glossed over in these discussions. We, here, take for granted what it's like out there for people without such vast knowledge and often many trips under our belt.
To me, that would be like paying thousands of dollars to travel to Europe but then not taking the time to learn how public transit works, how far my hotel is from the attractions I want to go to, or even looking up reviews on restaurants I might want to go to and waiting until I am already there and trying to learn on the fly. Not only does that sound stressful, but also would take away from my enjoyment while I am there because I am on my phone reading yelp reviews and struggling to understand things in a different language.
To touch on this......that's a bit what we're doing in a few months. No I'm not saying we're going in blind we've done a TON of research but working on train schedules means we have a lot of "on the fly" stuff. We don't know when we're going to arrive in Ghent, Belgium after we stay in London, England because we don't know when we'll be finished with things in London.

We don't know when we'll arrive in Kronberg, Germany after leaving Luxembourg City, Luxembourg because we don't know if we'll opt to stop in Trier, Germany in addition to Cochem, Germany.

I don't have a clue what restaurants we're going to eat in because it's really hard to plan all that. The most I've done is looking at Krongberg, Germany for what restaurants are available in that tiny town.

We did try to strategically place our hotel in the various cities we'll be in to a point but you can only do so much.

Despite what you might say there's actually a vast amount of our trip that is on the fly even with all the research we've done because that's how it has to be with dealing with using trains that take you from country to country and city to city.

This is the same for our Japan trip that is also train reliant. We've looked up the cities we want to go to, the sites we want to see but again a lot of it is up in the air.

I agree with understanding how does public transit works similar to figuring out that at MK you arrive by bus, ferry or monorail (unless you're within walking distance and choose to do that). But the level of planning down to the hour/minute, the ADR reservations people make, etc is actually very much more present in Disney than any of my trips have ever been. Even our European cruise and stay over in Venice and Athens was less to the minute planning than Disney.

We'll be going to Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in October. Of course I'll want to ride as many rides as I possibly can and I'm having to learn a whole new system for this park between lotteries and Premier Pass. But then there's the added component of high rejection of U.S. CCs and more. Anyhow because we'll not likely to ever be going back to Disneyland there you better believe I'm going to try my best to have the best few days there and it would be disappointing to only go on a handful of rides. It's our "once in a lifetime" trip to that park. Sometimes people need reminding of how that can be for people.
We are planning a Tokyo trip for fall as well! I agree that it would be disappointing to only go on a few rides, however, I would prefer that than going on all of them and not have fun because I am stressed all the time. There is a happy middle somewhere between overplanning and not planning at all.

Also important to remember that no matter how much you plan, things will happen. The ride will break down, be on refurb, the giant mechanical dragon can burn down the day before your trip, etc etc. So to me, getting stressed about the perfect ADR or the perfectly timed LL is silly, it's like swimming against the current in the ocean and expecting not to drown.

We are planning a Tokyo trip for fall as well! I agree that it would be disappointing to only go on a few rides, however, I would prefer that than going on all of them and not have fun because I am stressed all the time. There is a happy middle somewhere between overplanning and not planning at all.

Also important to remember that no matter how much you plan, things will happen. The ride will break down, be on refurb, the giant mechanical dragon can burn down the day before your trip, etc etc. So to me, getting stressed about the perfect ADR or the perfectly timed LL is silly, it's like swimming against the current in the ocean and expecting not to drown.
What's nice about Tokyo is that they don't have Genie+ but rather all rides (at least the ones with skip the line access) are ILLs so you can pick and choose what rides to buy. Also add on the fact that the yen isn't doing so hot right now and the price isn't that bad if you have a stronger currency.

I'm heading there in November and plan on buying the priority passes for rides that don't exist in the US parks. Some of them get 3 hour waits. I'm willing to pay to avoid a 3 hour wait.

Respectfully that's I think where people are talking over each other. It's a tried and true argument that people use over the years. No one would debate you have to look up things about your destination but when you're only using that argument you're failing (and I say this with no hint of rudeness) to capture what is being discussed.

Despite what you might say there's actually a vast amount of our trip that is on the fly even with all the research we've done because that's how it has to be with dealing with using trains that take you from country to country and city to city.

I agree with understanding how does public transit works similar to figuring out that at MK you arrive by bus, ferry or monorail (unless you're within walking distance and choose to do that). But the level of planning down to the hour/minute, the ADR reservations people make, etc is actually very much more present in Disney than any of my trips have ever been. Even our European cruise and stay over in Venice and Athens was less to the minute planning than Disney.
I completely understand where you are coming from and appreciate the perspective you offer. I do wonder though, how much of your ability to do things on the fly during your upcoming trip is because of the research you have done? Would you be able to do things on the fly if you were also simultaneously learning on the fly?

I think that is the point I am trying to make. That understanding any system before you show up will allow you to be more flexible while you are there. You aren't stressing about the timing of your trip because you know enough about the train system to not freak out when you get there and the trains are running late that day. In a similar way, if you got a LL return time you don't like, but you know enough about the G+ system to know how to modify, then having that pre-trip knowledge will hopefully help you get a more preferable return time.

Wow! My post was simply to indicate why I personally found the G+ system overcomplicated and not easy to navigate as someone who goes to WDW infrequently. People have many different ways of vacationing. With crazy schedules and limited time off, we can’t just hop into WDW whenever we feel like it. We save up to do a big trip every 1 or 2 years. And then plan like crazy to get the most accomplished to justify the cost. This last trip just became too stressful to fully enjoy myself (my family had a blast, LOL). I don’t think I am the only one that feels that way based on Disney’s acknowledgement of this type of criticism and statement that changes are coming, hence the title of this thread.

The photos were lost in a void somewhere. They spent 3 hours figuring out where the photos were even located, as they were not attached to my MDE account at all.
Many of us agree with you 100%. I hope you don't take some of the responses you got personally. Certain posters have been going out of their way to mock and belittle anyone who says that they are frustrated by the current G+ system.

Many guests, and Disney itself, agree with you - which is why this change is coming.

The 'ignore' function is a beautiful thing if you continue to get disrespectful responses. :)

not have fun because I am stressed all the time.
That's the glass half full half empty part because I find it stressful just worrying about getting on some rides because of how Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea but I mentally prepared myself for that, still it's stressful on that end. Luckily we're not big parade people/show people so that helps ease it.

Oh and I hope you have fun in Japan!! We're really looking forward to it ourselves :)

Add to the stress if you are the one planning everything for everyone. you feel you have to get in everything you possibly can; and try to make everyone happy.
The job of a planner - the job the planner should make clear to everyone else in the party - is to help everyone manage their expectations. No one can do everything. No one can make everyone happy. Disney is too big and too expensive for 99% of us to "do it all". Instead, you make short lists: rides, shows, restaurants. You ask everyone: "What is your 'must do' item?" *And then you say* "Okay, and if we can't do that because weather, act of God, act of Disney IT, then what would you want to do instead?".

No one as a planner should be assigning themselves the role of making sure everyone gets what they want. Their role is to know how to pivot when things go pear shaped (because they will!) and remind everyone that a bad day at Disney can still be better than a good day anywhere else.

I was stunned to read of all these things out there and for some, crazy amounts of money. At first, I thought the writer was promoting certain services, but at a closer look, it appeared she was linking to pretty much everything.
I thought the $40 guide book was pushing it but $139? There are so many free video guides on how to plan a WDW trip. They're admittedly very cringe at times but Allears has some very helpful guides for first timers.

I completely understand where you are coming from and appreciate the perspective you offer. I do wonder though, how much of your ability to do things on the fly during your upcoming trip is because of the research you have done? Would you be able to do things on the fly if you were also simultaneously learning on the fly?

I think that is the point I am trying to make. That understanding any system before you show up will allow you to be more flexible while you are there. You aren't stressing about the timing of your trip because you know enough about the train system to not freak out when you get there and the trains are running late that day. In a similar way, if you got a LL return time you don't like, but you know enough about the G+ system to know how to modify, then having that pre-trip knowledge will hopefully help you get a more preferable return time.
Totally see your point and don't overall disagree. Knowing what I know there's still a learning on the fly no matter what because part of it is being there and seeing how it works out. We figured out very quickly that Athens public transit isn't reliable and really only the locals know and understand it for example, Venice was easier to figure out except not all the boats were labeled and the attendants on the boats sometimes cagey about where a boat was going (when it wasn't labeled). One of the biggest differences is rail strikes as well as airline/airport strikes that are not uncommon in Europe.

I think knowing what we want to do is important and my main advice majority of the time with Disney peeps is to go to the website and figure out what attractions/shows/parades you'd even be interested in. That way you can figure out how to prioritize things to the best of your ability.

I very much agree with you that understanding the system is what helps you, to that aspect that was my point as well as others--that getting to the point of understanding what all goes into Disney's way of doing things is a lot to say the least. That's why I mentioned in a prior post about understanding what ILL, Genie+, VQ is in order to be able to use them. People aren't saying "you shouldn't have to do research" it's what you're having to absorb to just go to a theme park that gets people. I will always advocate for people to go to Disney's website and do your research, but I understand that the systems Disney has done with FP+, MP and Genie+/ILL and VQ can understandably be a lot.

But then there's the added component of high rejection of U.S. CCs and more.

This generally isn't as much of a problem once you are there using the app. Buying tickets is more problematic. I did fine with USJ's official site but had to use klook for TDR because none of my cards would work. Some have to use klook for USJ too.

I had zero trouble paying with credit cards when I was there anywhere or in the TDR English app.

This generally isn't as much of a problem once you are there using the app. Buying tickets is more problematic. I did fine with USJ's official site but had to use klook for TDR because none of my cards would work. Some have to use klook for USJ too.

I had zero trouble paying with credit cards when I was there anywhere or in the TDR English app.
Agreed, I was more talking about purchasing the tickets to begin with that you would think you could purchase with an accepted CC but often enough get bounced out from the official site. Klook is essentially what I think most end up using. I had heard if you can get the english app to work you're usually good to go with your CC. I'm glad to hear of your experience as another data point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter