Rumored Changes to G+

On a Disney vacation we're usually up early but I think the point can be made that regardless of being up at that time or not you

1) may be doing things like you know getting ready...
2) it adds a stress point to what often is already a hectic vacation
3) takes time out of your morning to book rides
4) it's just me and my husband but already that would be a pain point in completing booking of rides that morning at that time but I can only imagine how it can be for families especially those with young kids

MP did have the stress point of booking rides once you scanned into the parks but at least it was when the parks opened.

Yes true and many more reasons it’ll never make everyone happy. It’s not a perfect system but I found even with all those things you mentioned it literally takes 60 seconds to make a LL and/or ILL. It didn’t ruin my day or make me crazy stressed out. It lasted a minute and we moved on.

FOR ME it’s worth it over FP+. And I’m a planner and really liked FP+. I was stressed about G+ prior to our trip with not knowing what I would get the day of. I liked having my FP+ ride security prior to trips but once there and using the system I really enjoyed it much better even with the negatives.

We don't really view Genie+ as a stressor on vacation. We plan the night before what we want to do at a park the next day. At 650AM, I'll buy Genie+. At 7AM, I'll book our first LL. Then I set an alarm on my phone for 10 minutes prior to when I can make my next LL, which is usually 3 1/2-4 hours later. If on a particular morning we want an ILL, then that's an extra 2 minutes. The biggest "stressor" might be getting a VQ some morning, if that's important for our day. But even there, we either get one or we don't.
What I read there is you having to set multiple alarms. A 6:50am (which is early), 7am (which is early), another alarm set for when you can book your next Genie+, then booking ILL. As far as VQ imagine if you didn't have a Disney trip in the future a tad bit harder for most to be nonchalant about it.

Yes true and many more reasons it’ll never make everyone happy. It’s not a perfect system but I found even with all those things you mentioned it literally takes 60 seconds to make a LL and/or ILL. It didn’t ruin my day or make me crazy stressed out. It lasted a minute and we moved on.

FOR ME it’s worth it over FP+. And I’m a planner and really liked FP+. I was stressed about G+ prior to our trip with not knowing what I would get the day of. I liked having my FP+ ride security prior to trips but once there and using the system I really enjoyed it much better even with the negatives.
I know a lot of people focus on time as in time to complete a task and I would agree overall it's not a time sucker. But rarely is that the point at least when it comes to discussing the time of day you can make your initial Genie+ selections.

I agree there's that flexibility in terms of not having something locked in in advance (unless the rumors pan out) by virtue of the system utilized compared to FP+

Don't look at early concept art for Galaxy's Edge unless you want to be sad about how much was budget cut out of that project.
Oh I remember and I remember our initial (and what seemed to be shared by enough locals) impression at DLR when they only had 1 ride open at that time. Lot of dead space and felt lackluster in various parts.

Still salty about Navi :rotfl: and I believe Toy Story had cuts to it too (the restaurant that came several years later I think was it)

My kids were at DHS in early December on a busy weekend. I booked their G+ for them from home. They arrived at the park at 11am and had a lunch ADR at 1130 followed with Oga’s so weren’t ready to do rides until 2-2:30

I got them SDD, MMRR, ToT, RnRC, TSM and Aliens and paid for ILL for Rise. They rode Smugglers standby, met characters, I believe did Indiana Jones and finished the night with fantasmic.

Yes it had to be paid for but getting all those rides with FP+ with a 2-2:30 pm start time would’ve never happened.

It has its pros and cons.

What I read there is you having to set multiple alarms. A 6:50am (which is early), 7am (which is early), another alarm set for when you can book your next Genie+, then booking ILL. As far as VQ imagine if you didn't have a Disney trip in the future a tad bit harder for most to be nonchalant about it.
Yea, a couple alarms - one to get up (which we would have set anyway - I expect most families start their Disney day with an alarm), and that extra one to remind me when I can make another LL. Some mornings, we don't buy Genie+, so I only have the wake-up alarm. If VQ was that important to our day, I'd handle that first at 7AM, and then move on the LL - just a priority for that morning. If VQ was really important to our day, that would be an ILL instead - making sure we get it at a time we want. That extra 15 minutes of executing a plan in the morning makes the rest of the day more fun and way less stressful.

I'll admit - this is a personal approach and it works quite well for us. It might not be the same for everyone. I also use G+/ILL/VQ a lot, so I'm way more comfortable with it than some folks (especially first-timers) might be. I just don't think it's something that needs to ruin a family's entire morning! It is an optional choice after all.... But some families are earlier morning families, some are later night families, some are rope drop, some are mid-day..... for us, it only takes a few minutes out of my morning to initially set up the day with the attractions we want that day.

Yea, a couple alarms - one to get up (which we would have set anyway - I expect most families start their Disney day with an alarm), and that extra one to remind me when I can make another LL. Some mornings, we don't buy Genie+, so I only have the wake-up alarm. If VQ was that important to our day, I'd handle that first at 7AM, and then move on the LL - just a priority for that morning. If VQ was really important to our day, that would be an ILL instead - making sure we get it at a time we want. That extra 15 minutes of executing a plan in the morning makes the rest of the day more fun and way less stressful.

I'll admit - this is a personal approach and it works quite well for us. It might not be the same for everyone. I also use G+/ILL/VQ a lot, so I'm way more comfortable with it than some folks (especially first-timers) might be. I just don't think it's something that needs to ruin a family's entire morning! It is an optional choice after all.... But some families are earlier morning families, some are later night families, some are rope drop, some are mid-day..... for us, it only takes a few minutes out of my morning to initially set up the day with the attracti
My point was that you're setting multiple alarms to keep up with a system utilized by a theme park. Not normally what most would considered less stress. A lot of people complained about pre-booking FPs especially those with kids and I def. understood that. Unfortunately the 7am aspect has become even more of a complaint than anything because trying to get ready in the morning and adding on what can make your day (depending on your goals) is an added stressor.

This is a general comment but almost everyone who talks about how easy it was for them, how it's no big deal, approaches it with a more shoulder shrug have in common which is they go frequently enough. That salient point to me is what tends to remove that stress point from the conversation.

My point was that you're setting multiple alarms to keep up with a system utilized by a theme park. Not normally what most would considered less stress. A lot of people complained about pre-booking FPs especially those with kids and I def. understood that. Unfortunately the 7am aspect has become even more of a complaint than anything because trying to get ready in the morning and adding on what can make your day (depending on your goals) is an added stressor.

This is a general comment but almost everyone who talks about how easy it was for them, how it's no big deal, approaches it with a more shoulder shrug have in common which is they go frequently enough. That salient point to me is what tends to remove that stress point from the conversation.
I think the need for multiple alarms is overblown. You’re going to get up regardless, right? So looking at it as an alarm to wake up instead of a specific alarm for G+ makes a difference. Then the 2nd alarm isn’t a requirement (it could definitely be helpful) anywhere since the app will tell you when you can make your next reservation or you can make one after tapping into the 1st.

Just one more comment, and then I'll move on. The morning alarm is somewhat normal - wake up when you want/need to wake up. The other alarm (alarms, actually) are because I'm forgetful and I find it way less stressful to allow my phone to remind me - 'hey, Dummy, there is something coming up you want or need to do.....'!! It's not just specifically for G+! I also have a couple alarms set each day to take meds - it's not stressful to me to set an alarm or 2 or 3. It's easier than looking at my watch or phone every 15 minutes, or missing a time I wanted to remember! It's also just my approach! I've talked with some people who watch the app more than I do - because the app shows what time you can book another LL.

There have been pros and cons to all 3 skip-the-line approaches Disney has had. We're just trying to make the most of the current one, when we opt to use it.

I go to Disney every 2-4 years. I have only used G+ in November 2022 and for the one day my kids went in December 2023. We aren’t regular users. I probably won’t be back until May 2025.

I think the need for multiple alarms is overblown. You’re going to get up regardless, right? So looking at it as an alarm to wake up instead of a specific alarm for G+ makes a difference. Then the 2nd alarm isn’t a requirement (it could definitely be helpful) anywhere since the app will tell you when you can make your next reservation or you can make one after tapping into the 1st.
Eh..

You make alarms to remind yourself of something, you make alarms because you're busy doing other things so you want that reminder. In the morning we're ironing clothes, showering, putting on sunscreen, packing the park bag, getting clothes on and for me putting in contacts, etc etc etc. Every traveling party is doing something different but the underlying part of the PP's comment that I was trying to hit on was that in the midst of doing your normal stuff you've got this added thing going on (and at 7am). Whether a traveling party is actually physically setting alarms or just keeping track of the time isn't really the point. It's that it's an added part (early in the morning) and what is normally one of the most important parts of your Disney day if you're doing Genie+ added onto what you're already doing.

A few days ago I saw on my FB page a photopass photo of a mom on her phone on Haunted Mansion making her next Genie+ or ILL selection. That's not new as that occurred with FP+ and MP but it was both funny and sad because even I've been guilty of that. Granted I normally would book while in the queue but it all depended on when I could book my next ride. I remember being in DLR on Pirates when it halted for about 20 mins and looking at my phone watching the time and booking my next MP while I was stopped on the ride, it was a tad sad but my own choice, just not the stress-free environment though.

I go to Disney every 2-4 years. I have only used G+ in November 2022 and for the one day my kids went in December 2023. We aren’t regular users. I probably won’t be back until May 2025.
That's still frequent enough especially if you're talking about 2 years.

I'll go back to one of my very first comments on this thread:
2011-FP
2017-FP+
2019-MP (at DL)
2022- Genie+ (although we did not use it for this trip I did still learn most of it in case we wanted to use it)

And I'm still going more frequently than the majority of guests I'm advocating for in my comments.

You've used it twice already (one on behalf of another) for a system that has only been around for just over 2 years. But fingers crossed for you (and me lol) if you get in May 2025 (which we may do a 2025 trip ourselves) it won't be a completely different system in place!

Just one more comment, and then I'll move on. The morning alarm is somewhat normal - wake up when you want/need to wake up. The other alarm (alarms, actually) are because I'm forgetful and I find it way less stressful to allow my phone to remind me - 'hey, Dummy, there is something coming up you want or need to do.....'!! It's not just specifically for G+! I also have a couple alarms set each day to take meds - it's not stressful to me to set an alarm or 2 or 3. It's easier than looking at my watch or phone every 15 minutes, or missing a time I wanted to remember! It's also just my approach! I've talked with some people who watch the app more than I do - because the app shows what time you can book another LL.

There have been pros and cons to all 3 skip-the-line approaches Disney has had. We're just trying to make the most of the current one, when we opt to use it.
Yeah, it may not have been fully clear in my prior comment :flower3: I wasn't technically speaking at the physical act of making multiple alarms, everyone is different there. But I'll just repeat my comment I just said to another poster: in the midst of doing your normal stuff you've got this added thing going on (and at 7am). Whether a traveling party is actually physically setting alarms or just keeping track of the time isn't really the point. It's that it's an added part (early in the morning) and what is normally one of the most important parts of your Disney day if you're doing Genie+ added onto what you're already doing. (add VQ to that if you're doing that).

To put it another way I set multiple alarms the day we leave for vacation such as ensuring the cat has water, I've packed my charger and cord, etc but the multiple alarms isn't what is creating the stress, it's the ensuring I've got all that I need. To compare that to Disney is to say that while I'm getting ready for the day ensuring I've got everything (or enjoying the day while in the parks) the system they have would have me booking my first attraction during that time and keeping up with the time for when I'm eligible to book my next one during the day. The keeping up during the day isn't new as even Legacy FP had you doing that just to a much lesser extent.

2011-FP
2017-FP+
2019-MP (at DL)
2022- Genie+ (although we did not use it for this trip I did still learn most of it in case we wanted to use it)

And I'm still going more frequently than the majority of guests I'm advocating for in my comments.

You've used it twice already (one on behalf of another) for a system that has only been around for just over 2 years. But fingers crossed for you (and me lol) if you get in May 2025 (which we may do a 2025 trip ourselves) it won't be a completely different system in place!

For us it’s 2003, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2015, 2018, 2022.

We never used OG FP. It was too much with the kids in strollers, separating to grab them and the running of the bulls for certain rides. We may have gotten splash a few times because it’s my sons favorite ride but that’s it. And you honestly didn’t need FP after 9/11 and in the recession years.

I feel that just about every trip we’ve done in the last ten years I’ve had to learn a new system or learned the revamped modifications on the system. Here’s to hoping for 2025 I won’t have to relearn something entirely new!

2011-FP
2017-FP+
2019-MP (at DL)

You've used it twice already (one on behalf of another) for a system that has only been around for just over 2 years. But fingers crossed for you (and me lol) if you get in May 2025 (which we may do a 2025 trip ourselves) it won't be a completely different system
I am this to a T. This is my 4th ever visit. I went when I was 10 with no fp and 3 parks, 16 when I did research even than and had all our plans to work with paper fast pass and we got on everything over 4th of July week. Went in 2012 on my honeymoon and still saw everything with paper fast pass. I try to game plan and am trying to learn as much to see as much as I can. This is a new experience for me as well with now having parents who are senior citizens as well as my own kiddo. I still plan to try and rope drop and do genie+ because my daughter will probably be a teenager until we make it back. I know it's a vacation but disney is about its rides and shows to me and probably more character time this visit but for people like me who aren't fortunate enough to go every year or even every other year and spending probably a quarter of my salary on 1 vacation with staying at a value resort. I want to know any and all tricks for genie.
I think you mean someone like me lol

It really does seem that once Disney guests have figured out the skip-the-line process, Disney feels the need to change it again! That's been one of my top complaints of the FP/FP+/G+ - none of them are perfect, all have flaws, but pick one and leave it so people can figure out how to use it best for their family!

Maybe by May, 2025, any tweaks to the current G+ will be complete and working, VQs will no longer be needed at GOTG and Tron, and G+ will be free with your ticket purchase (yea, just kidding about that one.....)!

what time do you get up on your Disney trip? The 7am issue doesn’t make a lot of sense to me if you’re rope dropping
I'm always raising an eyebrow at all the kvetching about 7:00am as if it is some just ungodly hour. Sure, it's a bit earlier than I prefer to get up on days I want to sleep in, but it's nothing crazy. I suspect there's often a degree of feigned indignation on the part of those who simply miss FP+ and want to find fault with G+.

I'm always raising an eyebrow at all the kvetching about 7:00am as if it is some just ungodly hour. Sure, it's a bit earlier than I prefer to get up on days I want to sleep in, but it's nothing crazy. I suspect there's often a degree of feigned indignation on the part of those who simply miss FP+ and want to find fault with G+.

I’ve always assumed Disney did some kind of research to know the majority of guests are up by 7 am.

I'm an east coaster...so 7 is 7 to me...but those that dont live on the east coast......yeah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter