• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumors from on High

larworth

DIS Veteran
I had sent a letter to several Disney executives about my concerns over the current state of imagineering. I received one reply, from Marty Sklar (Vice Chairmand and Principle Creative Executive) head of WDI. The tone of the reply was very congenial as Marty said he just wanted to “vent” a little. While I won't rehash all the details, I thought it would be OK to share the following, since they relate to some on-going rumors we have discussed here in the past.

JIYI
No question we missed on this one. But it will have a new life, and I am confident you and other Figment fans will applaud the results
Funny, since I never made any comment relating the lack of Figment and the quality of this attraction. Must have gotten me confused with all those other focus groups. I guess a surprise Monster’s redo is not in the cards.

WDI Downsizing
Today we have 1700 Imagineers, and the number will remain close to that for the foreseeable future
He implied that the workload over the past 6 years has been abnormally high with TDS, DCA, and Studios Paris so close together, and it was just not practical to maintain this level of employment with only Hong Kong (2006) now in development. Assured me thay had sufficient core talent base to take on whatever challenge WDW asks them.

Coming Attractions
I will eagerly await your rating of Mission:SPACE at EPCOT when it opens in 2003, and a new quintessential 3D experience we are creating for the Magic Kingdom. These are both examples of the highest order of what you refer to as our legacy of innovation and novelty. I can assure you that they will be two of the greatest attractions that have ever been created for Disney parks, anywhere in the world
Sounds like Mickey’s Philarmagic could be a real winner. I don’t know about you, but this strong endorsement sure got me excited. I wonder if Philarmagic will open in 2003 as well?

Sure thought someone would find the strong statement about Mission:SPACE and Mickey's Philarmagic intriguing. I think most of us have high hopes for SPACE, but I have not been assuming the latter (if it was approved) would be more than a potentially nice c/d ticket attraction.

Is it possible it could be more than expected or is this Mr. Sklar just being enthusiastic?

Also, it has typically been associated as a potential addition to celebrate Mickey's 50th birthday. Does anyone know exactly what date that is?

Also, it has typically been associated as a potential addition to celebrate Mickey's 50th birthday. Does anyone know exactly what date that is?
...that would have been in 1978. Mickey will be 75 in 2003.

Jeff

larworth, I don't know how to filter the comments of Marty. I'm not sure I would expect anything other than glowing endorsements.

Second, Mickey Mouse was "born" in 1928. I'm pretty sure that "Plane Crazy" and Steamboat Willie" both came out that year. Mickey's Birthdayland...Starland...Toontown Fair came along in 1988 to celebrate Mickey's 60th.

I too am not sure how to take it. On the one hand, its nice to know that they seem to be moving forward. At the same time, he has to play nice. I'm surprised they let him send you more then a form letter.

Mr. Sklar has been with Disney for decades and knows how to get his points across. He is generally enthusiastic, but has a very realistic and practical approach to issues. That gets him into trouble from time to time as he tries to carry on WDI’s traditions in an Eisner/Pressler world.

There’s a lot riding on the success of ‘Mission: Space’ and pressures been mounting to increase the show’s budget (well, actually to restore the budget to the original pre-Pressler levels). Of all the parks, Epcot is the one that requires the most investment to keep the attendance levels up. One ride every five years just isn’t enough, especially one as short as ‘Space’ is ending up. There’s hope that many show elements can be restored and that in the future the full pavilion can be constructed. There’s also hope that several smaller attractions will be added – there’s a serious push to sell a clone of California Adventures’ ‘Soaring Over California’ to one of the World Showcase participants (“We’re aboot to go over the Rockies, eh?”).

According to rumors, the Mickey show will be on the same scale as “It’s Tough to be a Bug” and is the darling child of the new head of WDI – he used to head WDI’s film production group. Since he also took over Marty’s job, I think there are plenty of reasons for Mr. Sklar to say nice things. I’m rather hopeful about this show since the storyline has a lot of great potential (and will avoid the ‘Chucky Cheese’ quality). It’s also nice to put the core characters in an attraction and the film & in-theater effects combination will work well. This show will probably appear in all Disney parks.

I’m assuming that Mr. Sklar didn’t comment on Din-O-Rama – you can read into that everything you want to.

Oooops meant to say Mickey's 75th, thanks for the correction Jeff.

About 6 months ago the rumor I remember hearing had the Lion King theater closing mid 2002, with Philarmagic to open in 2003. Looks like the mill might have gotten this one right.

Screamscape also just posted a rumor about Soarin looking for a home at EPCOT. I know they are also tossing around StormRider as well, but where there is smoke, and AV...........

All signs would suggest that Soarin will find a home at WDW soon. It must get great guest scores, Paul has tried to attach his name to it, and it can be adapted to fit so many different themes. My only concern would be the DCA factor. I know they are miles apart, but don't they need to do everything they can to make sure DCA has something special all it's own?

As the only remotely interesting item in California Adventure, ‘Soaring’ has become the floating deck chair that many people cling to after that ship went down: WDI wants to continue making attractions, WDW wants something – anything - that doesn’t come in a box marked Six Flags, and Pressler can make up a whole bunch of back dated memos pointing out his support (“see, I really was for this one all along…”).

But this is still the Eisner Era and the ‘Soaring’ clone will get built just as soon as someone else pays for it. There are many good plans, but none of them are “commercial” enough to sell to a corporation. There was one really good shot, but the people with the tiny little plastic bricks said “no”; now the project has gone out on the stump again. A lot of the “let’s spend to get people back” feeling has evaporated and they’re back to their old selves once again.

As for “unique” and California Adventure – there is absolutely no interest in Burbank with the park whatsoever. After the failure of the summer discounts, ‘Millionaire’ and the new lagoon show (they’ve already stopped the local ad campaign for it), it’s being written off as an embarrassment that cannot be spoken of. They don’t worry to much about keeping DCA “special”.

P.S. Rumors say that Universal just signed an agreement with Warner Brothers to put the ‘Harry Potter’ characters in Universal parks and to develop ‘Potter’ attractions.

We've had some discussions about the continuing viability of the whole sponsorship situation at EPCOT. It doesn't seem like a very good sign, longterm, if they can't get anyone to ante up for a Soarin based attraction.

With the stale nature of many of the country films, you would almost expect them to be fighting over who gets it rather than having to be out begging. If they can't get someone to bite given it's proven guest appeal. natural fit in a travelogue format, and what I assume is a relative low cost versus other "mountain type" ride alternatives just seems like a bad sign for at least the World Showcase part.

I'm sure there are many people trying to distance themselves from DCA, but I have to believe they have no choice but to remain interested in it. I don't see them giving up on the Anaheim resort concept, and it seems that a healthy DCA will still be needed to make this work.

Harry, Harry, and more Harry

Someone at WB must have a good eye as the story I read said they snapped Harry up pretty early on (before it hit in the US) and were willing to pay what seemed at that point to be a high price for the rights to an unproven work ($500,000). When all is said and done I would like to see the percent return on investment they get from this one. I'm not sure my calculator would have enough 00000's.

With 3 more books, and potentially 6 more movies (as long as people don't get Harry'ed out) it sure seems like a dream property to incorporate into a theme park. However, does it present some interesting problems in that the story is still a work in progress. I'm sure Rowling will guard the ending (which she claims she already knows) at all costs. So, how do they desigin an attraction when certain characters or events to date may not seem that relvant when the final plot unfolds?

If you feel comfortable with it & have the ability to do so, I would very much like to read your letter that was able to garner such a credible response from Marty Sklar.

Thanks for the topic.
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter