Run Disney Deferral Policy

ZamboniNerd

Earning My Ears
It has taken a while to relax and be able to share this:

I was set to run the 2016 Star Wars Dark Side Half and 10K at Disney World, but had to defer a week out. Quick phone call to Run Disney and a very polite front line cast member told me deferrals were full. Knowing the cast members' hand were tied, I elevated the call to a supervisor. Same response from another great cast member, but he explained the full policy. I asked when the deferrals cut off and he did not know. I thanked the cast member and have stewed on this since.

I believe Southwest Airlines has best policy for unexpected issues. When postponing a trip, they will keep the money but it can be used towards another flight. In this scenario, I am still provided a service for the money paid.

My decision (please make your own): I will not sign up for another Run Disney event until the policy changes to offer full deferral.

I can tell you people are not very happy at all by the decision but I don't know if we will see a deferral again. RunDisney unfortunately is getting to be too much about the bottom line. Several people are starting to question whether they continue to do Disney races or not.

This isn't about them not offering deferrals at all - they DID offer deferrals for this race, limited number of spots, and they were full. It stinks that you weren't able to defer your spot.

The pattern lately seems to be that there are fewer deferral spots available, and deferrals are opening closer and closer to the actual events. They seem to have scrubbed most, if not all language related to deferrals from their website. I'm expecting them to completely go away soon and for race registration insurance to be offered instead.

This isn't about them not offering deferrals at all - they DID offer deferrals for this race, limited number of spots, and they were full. It stinks that you weren't able to defer your spot.

The pattern lately seems to be that there are fewer deferral spots available, and deferrals are opening closer and closer to the actual events. They seem to have scrubbed most, if not all language related to deferrals from their website. I'm expecting them to completely go away soon and for race registration insurance to be offered instead.
It's been confirmed deferrals are gone. For the rest of this year they are doing a case by case basis for registered runners to possible get half back credit on a gift card but otherwise deferrals are gone. A RunDisney executive said they will have a permanent plan in place next year.

A week out is the big issue. Even if it had been bought through a travel agency or running group that has legal transfers those have a cut off date. RunDisney is not the only running group with this policy. Many big running organizations don't allow defferals or transfers that close to race day. Even the few that allow deferrals and transfers have cut offs for when those can be done.

South West is the only airline that doesn't charge a fee and that amazes me.

I don't mind the policy change since it was changed before folks signed up for races. That said, I will not sign up for any more challenges unless there is some way of protecting myself from that kind of loss (like insurance). $600 is too much money to just walk away from for the privilege of running at WDW.

I don't mind the policy change since it was changed before folks signed up for races. That said, I will not sign up for any more challenges unless there is some way of protecting myself from that kind of loss (like insurance). $600 is too much money to just walk away from for the privilege of running at WDW.

If they enforce this new policy from here on out, then it's not before people signed up for races. People who might want to defer Wine & Dine or Marathon Weekend are SOL.

If they enforce this new policy from here on out, then it's not before people signed up for races. People who might want to defer Wine & Dine or Marathon Weekend are SOL.
Sorry, I thought that the "no deferrals" policy was not becoming official until 2017 races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter