RunDisney Swag Perks

RunDisney Crazy

Mouseketeer
RunDisney races are incredible. I just ran my first this year in style, the Dopey. I must admit though, I thought with it being Disney, the swag bags would be... well....more 'swaggish'!

Have they ever offered a nice nylon gear bag or other treats besides the standard plastic gear bag and race tech shirt?

Just curious.:cool1:

When the bib numbers etc are released, you can usually find their digital "swag". Coupons, printouts for a free postcard sized lithograph, etc.

At the inaugural Disneyland race, I can't remember what type of bag we received, but it had a lot of samples and products in it, including a disposable Kodak camera! We received the t-shirt, which is still one of my favorites. They also mailed the race guide to your home. It made the whole thing really feel like a special event.

I'm not a fan of the goody bags with the digital coupons, but those are not unique to Disney. I am not sure if it is to be green or because the sponsors have to support a much larger population of runners or because you need people to stuff (and store) all of those bags. I only ever redeem the coupon for the lithograph.

They also mailed the race guide to your home. It made the whole thing really feel like a special event.

I SO wish they would mail the guide. Reading it online is difficult. Printing it is nearly impossible (and a HUGE waste of ink).

Getting it at the parks is nice as a souvenir, but once you're there it's just a bit late to be reading the info for the first time!

The Princess Half has given out mesh nylon sling backpack things in the past. I've gotten magnets in my DL half bag. That was about the most exciting stuff. I can understand going green and not filling our bag with a bunch of fliers anymore, but it is sort of lack luster to pick up a plastic bag and a shirt.

The clear plastic bags they used this year were also intended to be for bag check, so I think that's why they were not very special. I don't think RunDisney will spend the money to give out nice swag bags AND clear plastic bag check bags in the future.

They did give out the mesh bags at packet pickup for Tink and at the finish line for the Princess Half this year. Getting the bag at the finish line was great because it gave you somewhere to put your water, gatorade, banana and snack box during the long long hike from the finish line to the buses!

I do think the swag could be improved. I got an awesome pint glass free at the Gate River Run this year. But, the shirts are pretty nice quality and I enjoyed the Luna bars we got at the last two races too.

I think the most 'umm yeah' was the free advertising some movie magnets they gave away this past year at DLR Half expo as they were speeling to NOT put it anywhere near the bibs as itd deactivate the BTag...

the only things Ive gotten was the free shoelaces for a WDW marathon weekend and the mesh bag from princess or the buttons they often gave for anniversary year races...

my fav non-dis race gives beach towels at the finish..

-em

I actually think shirt quality was poor this year for the GSC. I did W&D in 2012 and got a great quality, long sleeved tech shirt. The 3 GSC shirts I got were flimsy and the white one is see-through. The medals made up for it, but there really is no excuse to skimp on shirts given the cost of these events!

I'd be happy with a better after-race food box. I ran a local half and they had a full-on buffet after the race. While I see how rD can't really do that, they could improve the snack box. And those who ran Dopey got that same box for all four races!!

Also, with the cost of rD races, the pins should be included.

I'd be more than happy to give up the swag in return for lower race fees or better shirts. Most of it isn't much use to me, though the mesh bag from a few years ago does make a great bag for dirty clothes while traveling.

I think the most 'umm yeah' was the free advertising some movie magnets they gave away this past year at DLR Half expo as they were speeling to NOT put it anywhere near the bibs as itd deactivate the BTag... the only things Ive gotten was the free shoelaces for a WDW marathon weekend and the mesh bag from princess or the buttons they often gave for anniversary year races... my fav non-dis race gives beach towels at the finish.. -em
I run a couple different race series that have pretty neat finisher surprises. J&A races usually has a nice surprise (jacket, towel, hat or towel), and Medoc have out nice Beanies to finishers. One FS series race I ran gave out a hat, socks, arm warmers and a t-shirt. It was less than half the cost of a Disney race.

I actually think shirt quality was poor this year for the GSC. I did W&D in 2012 and got a great quality, long sleeved tech shirt. The 3 GSC shirts I got were flimsy and the white one is see-through. The medals made up for it, but there really is no excuse to skimp on shirts given the cost of these events!

The Disney shirts seem to be really hit or miss. I have a Everest shirt from 2 years ago which is so scratchy it's unwearable. I really liked the marathon weekend shirts in 2011 and 2013, the 2012 shirts were stiff and the 2014 shirts are soft but I worry about then wearing out quickly.

RunDisney races are incredible. I just ran my first this year in style, the Dopey. I must admit though, I thought with it being Disney, the swag bags would be... well....more 'swaggish'!

Have they ever offered a nice nylon gear bag or other treats besides the standard plastic gear bag and race tech shirt?

Just curious.:cool1:

My first Disney race in 2011 the swag bag was great. Mesh bag, lots of free samples and lots of coupons for the various vendors at the expo. Maybe with the announcement of more races they might bring these nicer bags back but I will not be disappointed if they don't. To me it's more about the race, being at Disney and my friends then the swag bag.

I'd be happy with a better after-race food box. I ran a local half and they had a full-on buffet after the race. While I see how rD can't really do that, they could improve the snack box. And those who ran Dopey got that same box for all four races!!

Also, with the cost of rD races, the pins should be included.

Agree with all of the above!

I got all of the race pins for free this year. I selected them when I signed up for the races. My wife and her friends that I registered also got theirs for free. They were listed with a cost of $0.00.

I think that Disney's finishers medals are awesome - far better than any other races that I have run. That is sufficient for me for "swag". I just wish that their race shirts were short sleeve. I don't wear long sleeve shirts in training often enough to use them. They will end up in a donation bin.

I got all of the race pins for free this year. I selected them when I signed up for the races. My wife and her friends that I registered also got theirs for free. They were listed with a cost of $0.00.

I think that Disney's finishers medals are awesome - far better than any other races that I have run. That is sufficient for me for "swag". I just wish that their race shirts were short sleeve. I don't wear long sleeve shirts in training often enough to use them. They will end up in a donation bin.

That's really weird that you weren't charged for them.

Couldn't you find someone who sews to cut off the sleeves for you?

And some races have short sleeved. Tot for instance.

I just wish that their race shirts were short sleeve. I don't wear long sleeve shirts in training often enough to use them. They will end up in a donation bin.

Me too! I've got a closet full of unworn shirts from running Goofy over the years. Short sleeve shirts would be a welcome change.

Maybe they could give you the option of long sleeve or short sleeve.Living in South Florida I pretty much know I won't wear my marathon shirt again until at least November or December.But even though I probably wear them a lot less due to them being long sleeve I think if I was given the option I would stick to long sleeve,they just seem nicer and more unique with long sleeves.Pretty much every other race down here gives short sleeve race shirts,the long sleeve Disney ones just feel more special,even if I only wear them 4 times a year.

I'd be happy with a better after-race food box. I ran a local half and they had a full-on buffet after the race. While I see how rD can't really do that, they could improve the snack box. And those who ran Dopey got that same box for all four races!! Also, with the cost of rD races, the pins should be included.
Before the food box came along I thought the post race meals where better which included banana, bagel and peanut butter. I personally prefer this over the box meal which I skip or take and only eat the crackers and hummus. Last year I paid for the VIP tent during marathon weekend and that food was awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter