RunDisney Swag Perks

Yes, please chocolate milk!! We have chocolate milk readily available after our huge half/full marathon here and it helps me recover so quickly. Sorry for milk allergies but man, I wish RunDisney would read this memo!!

Nothing better than cold chocolate milk after a long run. The half marathon and marathon in Atlanta both give out chocolate milk after the race. I prefer that over Powerade any day.

Nothing better than cold chocolate milk after a long run. The half marathon and marathon in Atlanta both give out chocolate milk after the race. I prefer that over Powerade any day.

Ha!! Exactly and the Jelly bean mile is becoming a favorite of mine as well!! Glad to see a fellow Publix participant:woohoo:

Ok. Did anyone or everyone see the RunDisney gear bag that was being offered at the Boston Marathon Expo on Facebook?? Lots of people obviously did and want them and there was a number of people who weren't too happy about it. I believe if you sign up for a Disney race at the expo you received a bag. Plenty of people, including myself, asked the question of why aren't these bags offered or given to runners who compete in RunDisney events. The same ones that have been doing the events, the same ones who have spent hundreds of dollars and still don't receive this swag!

I hope that the shot-caller for RunDisney sees all of these comments that people make concerning this!

Your thoughts?

Edited: Okay correction saw the thing on twitter. Apparently that was easy to get and didn't cost anything. Not sure why but okay. Because pretty much every other bag they have given away in the past (duffles, other slings etc.) have cost buckaroos.

Yes, please chocolate milk!! We have chocolate milk readily available after our huge half/full marathon here and it helps me recover so quickly. Sorry for milk allergies but man, I wish RunDisney would read this memo!!

Coordinating this would be insane, given the number of runners, but it's too bad you can't select a "recovery pack" when you register, since certain things work better for others. Then they could give you the choice of water, powerade, milk. But logistically, it's a nightmare.

I'm not allergic to milk, but no way I'd be able to drink it after a run. I would be so sick. I'd be puking everywhere.

I can see why they don't offer it, besides milk allergies. Keeping it cold - and safe to drink - is probably a challenge in Florida weather. I know it can be done, they probably just don't want to spend the extra $$.

All I ever want after running is water. Room temperature. Cold water makes me sick too.

Coordinating this would be insane, given the number of runners, but it's too bad you can't select a "recovery pack" when you register, since certain things work better for others. Then they could give you the choice of water, powerade, milk. But logistically, it's a nightmare.

I'm not allergic to milk, but no way I'd be able to drink it after a run. I would be so sick. I'd be puking everywhere.

I can see why they don't offer it, besides milk allergies. Keeping it cold - and safe to drink - is probably a challenge in Florida weather. I know it can be done, they probably just don't want to spend the extra $$.

All I ever want after running is water. Room temperature. Cold water makes me sick too.

No, I don't think they want to spend extra money. We have a 60,000 10k race here in the hotness of July in Ga. This 10k usually has temps of 80+ degrees. They manage to give away everything from hashbrowns, beer,peanut butter packets, peaches, powerade, water, chips you name it... They fill the big bins with ice and volunteers pass them out at the end.
However, I love Disney Races but I know that they cut corners for how much they charge for race fees. I'm still paying them but I know their swag is pay to play.

I totally love Run Disney races and have already signed up for ToT and can't wait until I can do another WDW Marathon weekend and pair it up with a race in Cali for the Coast to Coast.

I understand the nightmares of 60K people races, but it's Disneyworld. They have millions of guest per year, so I'd have to say they know logistics. And they have the money to front the cost and staff. So, in my opinion there is really no excuse that will be sufficient.

As far swag, agreed, they raise the price, give you a shirt and still sell out super quick. But Disney's thing is making special memories and an experience like non-other. Well, plenty of others give more swag, give a nice gear bag that can be used. I just think that insane prices for races or not, if Disney is truly about the spectacular, then they need to do just that!!

I totally love Run Disney races and have already signed up for ToT and can't wait until I can do another WDW Marathon weekend and pair it up with a race in Cali for the Coast to Coast.

I understand the nightmares of 60K people races, but it's Disneyworld. They have millions of guest per year, so I'd have to say they know logistics. And they have the money to front the cost and staff. So, in my opinion there is really no excuse that will be sufficient.

As far swag, agreed, they raise the price, give you a shirt and still sell out super quick. But Disney's thing is making special memories and an experience like non-other. Well, plenty of others give more swag, give a nice gear bag that can be used. I just think that insane prices for races or not, if Disney is truly about the spectacular, then they need to do just that!!

Here's the thing: The location, the atmosphere and the characters are the real perks for this race. It has been magical for years without those things, otherwise other people would not be freaking out about signing up. It would be nice if Disney started loading down runners with other things, but it is not just 60,000 people. It is at least 5 times that amount because they don't hold one race per year. I can't even imagine the amount of money it would cost to run one of their races because, no doubt, those costs would be passed on to the runners. I don't want to pay more money because someone else wants a nice bag or 6 choices of food at the end. Granted, with enough fussing, they may include these things and the price will go up for everyone who chooses to participate. Like it or not.

In the end, Disney can't make it magical for everyone, no matter what their marketing department advertises. You have the "chocolate milk people vs the lactose intolerant" people (me :)); The "gluten free vs the where's my bagel" people; the "can't take off of work to pick up my bib" people; the "give me a medal even though I didn't finish "people; the "I should get a medal instead of a medallion" people; the "It's not fair that they don't have my size shirt even though I showed up on the third day of the expo" people, etc. It is just crazy...and human.

Ultimately, Disney owes everyone a well executed race event, a t-shirt and, when you finish, a medal, in an environment that can not be duplicated by anyone else. The magic is getting to the starting line and celebrating your accomplishment with your family and friends at Disneyland or Disney World.:flower3:

I agree. I love the fact that you run through the parks, it's Disneyworld, awesome medals, great expo, and again.... it's Disney.

But, to touch on a few things. Say there are 60,000 runners for a race. You have the Dopey's which are over $500 and the least is what $100. So let's say on the conservative side, the average is $250 per person. That means a RunDisney race brings in 15 million. Any yes, they host more than one race, but that 15 million is from each race as well.

Trust me, I've run tons of races, some with 2200 people and you get a great medal, great expo, unbelievable finish fest with food and beer, shirts, bags and they are not bringing in 15 million. I guarantee their profit per person is greatly less.

Plus, I have friend that have run previous Disney races that included bags an other items. And you guess it, those races sold out and the price was cheaper.

I love the races, love Disney and will continue to go and race as much as I can. But myself as well as other believe the game could be elevated, even if just a little bit. When you go to a park, you expect most if not all the rides to be opened. If you go and only half are running, are you going to say that's okay cause if they open all the rides the price will go up.

You can't please everyone but don't think people would complain about an added feature like a bag or a free pin.

Just my thoughts.

I agree. I love the fact that you run through the parks, it's Disneyworld, awesome medals, great expo, and again.... it's Disney.

But, to touch on a few things. Say there are 60,000 runners for a race. You have the Dopey's which are over $500 and the least is what $100. So let's say on the conservative side, the average is $250 per person. That means a RunDisney race brings in 15 million. Any yes, they host more than one race, but that 15 million is from each race as well.

Trust me, I've run tons of races, some with 2200 people and you get a great medal, great expo, unbelievable finish fest with food and beer, shirts, bags and they are not bringing in 15 million. I guarantee their profit per person is greatly less.

Plus, I have friend that have run previous Disney races that included bags an other items. And you guess it, those races sold out and the price was cheaper.

I love the races, love Disney and will continue to go and race as much as I can. But myself as well as other believe the game could be elevated, even if just a little bit. When you go to a park, you expect most if not all the rides to be opened. If you go and only half are running, are you going to say that's okay cause if they open all the rides the price will go up.

You can't please everyone but don't think people would complain about an added feature like a bag or a free pin.

Just my thoughts.

Yes and exactly!!! They have a wide profit margin just throw a little something to the consumer. Even Nike who is more expensive than Disney will give free post race massages, coconut water, fruit, chocolate not to mention a nice pull bag at the end. As the previous poster said elevate your game just a little.

Here's the thing: The location, the atmosphere and the characters are the real perks for this race. It has been magical for years without those things, otherwise other people would not be freaking out about signing up. It would be nice if Disney started loading down runners with other things, but it is not just 60,000 people. It is at least 5 times that amount because they don't hold one race per year. I can't even imagine the amount of money it would cost to run one of their races because, no doubt, those costs would be passed on to the runners. I don't want to pay more money because someone else wants a nice bag or 6 choices of food at the end. Granted, with enough fussing, they may include these things and the price will go up for everyone who chooses to participate. Like it or not.

In the end, Disney can't make it magical for everyone, no matter what their marketing department advertises. You have the "chocolate milk people vs the lactose intolerant" people (me :)); The "gluten free vs the where's my bagel" people; the "can't take off of work to pick up my bib" people; the "give me a medal even though I didn't finish "people; the "I should get a medal instead of a medallion" people; the "It's not fair that they don't have my size shirt even though I showed up on the third day of the expo" people, etc. It is just crazy...and human.

Ultimately, Disney owes everyone a well executed race event, a t-shirt and, when you finish, a medal, in an environment that can not be duplicated by anyone else. The magic is getting to the starting line and celebrating your accomplishment with your family and friends at Disneyland or Disney World.:flower3:

I completely agree! The reason I run Disney is not for the shirt or the food pack at the end of the race, or even the merchandise at the expo. I rundisney for the thrill of running through the parks and backstage! My swag is the fun I have along the race course and the memories I make with my family during the race weekend. Thats what I'm paying for. The experience. OK Ok I do love the medals. Best medals out there IMO. But they're not the reason I register.

Just my thoughts.

Depends on where the money goes. Anyone know how much of this goes to their charities vs their pockets?

Depends on where the money goes. Anyone know how much of this goes to their charities vs their pockets?

Don't know exact amount but I remember discussing with a friend about that they actually make off of these races vs spent for Disney. And she made a comment that between everything that it wasn't actually that high. She doesn't work for them but then again she knows people who work for Disney so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she knew a person who had their hands on that kind of info.

So it might be entirely possible that additional swag expenditure might cause them to lose whatever they are making all ready. Or have to raise race prices even higher. Just good for thought.

Don't know exact amount but I remember discussing with a friend about that they actually make off of these races vs spent for Disney. And she made a comment that between everything that it wasn't actually that high. She doesn't work for them but then again she knows people who work for Disney so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she knew a person who had their hands on that kind of info.

So it might be entirely possible that additional swag expenditure might cause them to lose whatever they are making all ready. Or have to raise race prices even higher. Just good for thought.

Most races do not yield mega profits because of various things road closure expenditures, city permits, port a John rentals,timing mats, nurse and medical aid,trash and custodial clean up and of course food and beverages ,However Disney gets sponsors just like any other race. The track shack is their race coordinator and they should have this information.

I am one of those 'gf people' and I really appreciate the boxes.:goodvibes I know they aren't exciting and that a lot of people prefer their bagels, but I appreciate that I can eat something besides a banana or what I bring along with me in my checked bag. I agree that they can never please everyone and I will continue to put food in my checked bag in case they take the gf choices out of the boxes, but for now at least it is nice to be able to eat some of the stuff that is handed out at the finish. It makes me feel 'normal.' ;)

They manage to give away everything from hashbrowns, beer,peanut butter packets, peaches, powerade, water, chips you name it... They fill the big bins with ice and volunteers pass them out at the end.

No hashbrowns at Disney, oh the humanity.

Very good point. I just assumed that with the massive haul in the 10+ million range that after charities and expenses they were pulling in a pretty penny. They are a business and should make money. That is the purpose of a business.

I would just love to have maybe some expo coupons, something to celebrate the race and nice bag I could use at other races and kinda show off and brag.

But let me set the record straight, I think the races are some of the most organized and best on the planet. I'm not complaining about the races, just trying to put a bug in the ear for Disney execs.:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter